• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes lapping nightforce and seekins rings??

Re: lapping nightforce and seekins rings??

I had my nightforce rings lapped, before I did the scope would rock in the bottom ring, indicating that the ring was out of round. After lapping there was no rocking and the scope fit perfect. That said, I won't likely be doing it again as I have not seen the need with other rings.

Cant help you with a compound or anything like that, local smith did mine.

I have yet to lap a set of either Seekins or NF rings for what it's worth. Need to make sure you have a quality base, as that probably causes more issues than the rings will.

My one base is a EGW which is not the best quality, the other one is a bighorn . Both are 20 moa 1 piece bases. I was also not wanting any ring marks on my NXS scopes.

Rob, all mine are Seekins and I've never lapped any of them.

If you have to lap glens rings, I think you're fixing a problem that is elsewhere.

Rory

I always lap rings, regardless of the base and rings. I'll have to admit though, the last nightforce base and ring combo I put on was awful good, probably had contact on 50% of the ring right off the start, good enough for most. But I figure it can't hurt anything, plus I hate ring marks also on an expensive scope, cheap insurance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bobtails</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the looks of the wheeler engineering kit. How easy is it to do? </div></div>

I watched a video on it and it seems easy enough. I hope to have everything next week. I figure it's better than just hoping everything is lined up correctly. I'd rather mount once and then not worry that it isn't setup right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DON'T do it. Get good rings and a good rail and be done with it. </div></div>

Rob, do you have an in./lbs. torque wrench?
Along with the good rings and rail, they drastically reduce the need for a lapping kit.

I agree with Wireman that with either of these brands if you have to lap the rings it's because of a problem elsewhere. Either the base, or more likely, the action is a little out of true.

Seekins are 15-25 in/lb on the cap screws, 15 in/lb on the base, and 55 in/lb on the clamp screws.

Sweet thanks Jeff, any idea on nightforce? This does sound better, easier than lapping. The bighorn base is a quality one. I need to switch the EGW base to a better one!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DON'T do it. Get good rings and a good rail and be done with it. </div></div>

+1!

I have and have used the Wheeler Engineering lapping kit for my scoped Rugers but never for quality rings! You can do more harm than good lapping good rings.

Edit, Nightforce rings spec at 25 in-lbs but I torque them to 20. The cross bolt spec is 65 but again, I torque to 50.

Another thing that may help. Push your rings forward on your base and just finger tighten them. Then set you scope in the rings, put the caps on and lightly seat all the cap screws. Then in a cross pattern tighten your cap screws in steps of increasing torque and alternate front to rear caps until all screws at at spec. Now you can torque the rings cross bolts to the base. This will insure the rings are aligned to the scope when the rings are on the base.

I sent NF an email. In their NF Ring box, it said MAX torque is 15inlb, BUT in the NF Scope manual, it states that MAX torque on scope caps are 25inlbs.
I have a set of Ultralite NF rings. There were plenty of high spots every where. So I had them lapped by my gun smith. He applied some rosin, and torqued them to 18inlbs.. (this was before NF emailed me back about torquing them to 25inlbs)
Im debating if I should take it back, and let him apply another 7inlbs to the scope rings.

Here is the email I got from NF:

Hello,

Thank you for your patronage in Nightforce Optics.

We have recently increased the recommended torque spec to 25 in/lb.

All Nightforce rings are mounted in pairs prior to packaging to ensure they are aligned to proper spec. There is no need to lap the rings as they are held to a tolerance tighter than the thickness of the anodizing and removal of any material could change the surface contact area between the ring and optic enough to damage the optic when torqued down.

Please let us know if we can be of further support.

Respectfully,

Customer Service 4
Nightforce Optics, Inc
336 Hazen Lane, Orofino, Idaho 83544
(208)476-9814 p (208)476-9817 f
[email protected]

www.nightforceoptics.com

Follow what NF said(DONT DO IT) Seekins rings are the same... they are matched from inception, keep as pairs so dont mix the caps with the bottoms and dont turn the caps any which way. mark them with a black sharpiejust as they are assembled in the package when you get them. and keep them that way.

make sure your base is a good one and mount them correctly, if you do that youll be set.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im debating if I should take it back, and let him apply another 7inlbs to the scope rings.</div></div>
Make your next purchase a torque wrench setup. I suggest the Borka SRA kit from Boris, SH member Kortik.
They are great and everyone should have a torque wrench kit.

BORKA SRA KIT

BORKA MG9

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Make your next purchase a torque wrench setup. I suggest the Borka SRA kit from Boris, SH member Kortik.
They are great and everyone should have a torque wrench kit.

BORKA SRA KIT

BORKA MG9 </div></div>

Just for giggles so folks aren't confused (I was in this exact same boat last weekend when I ordered my Borka kit), the SR-A kit is now renamed as the MG5 kit.

I had my scope, rings and mount done by a very good benchrest shooter and they needed to be lapped some. Was using Seekins base and rings with a SWFA SS 5-20. If you dont need to-great, but I had mine done and they were off just a bit.

Have a set of seekins rings and did not lap them and everything has been great with no problems.