• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Lapping questions!!!

skinney_7

Hammer down.
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 23, 2008
    SD
    www.oneillops.com
    I lap all my rings, but i have a new titanium NF Uninmount, befor i get my swull on and bust a sweat lappin this guy, have any of you guys lapped titanium rings or unimounts befor? they do align, but like to have more surface area touching my tube, i have lapped my Knights rings and a few sets of my Leupold MKIV rings, all needed it, and i figure i might as well do it right if i'm putting on a $1600.00 scope.

Re: Lapping questions!!!

I thought the titanium portion was limited to only the cross-bolt and the sliding clamp. In other words, the rings are still aluminum.

Per their website;

<span style="font-style: italic">They feature CNC machined 7075-T6 hard anodized black aluminum bodies and titanium beta series crossbolts and jaws</span>

One of the main reasons rings may require lapping is due to a uneven scope base or out of round receiver which causes the base to twist. The NF UniMount is a one piece ring system, and is machined as one piece. I lap most of my standard style rings, I dont care who makes them but thats just something I do to help me sleep at night.

You wont need to lap em

Kirk R

You dont need to lap the NF rings or the Unimount if you are putting a NF scope in it. It should be a perfect fit.

Good Luck

Not familar with the titanium NF rings, but if the ring portion is titanium your going to be lapping for awhile.
    laugh.gif