• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Lapping rings

Seventy 1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2007
Canada
Hello,
anyone have any recommends on who makes a good ring lapping kit and should I even lap the rings at all?

Re: Lapping rings

Sinclair and Midway both offer kits to do this ..

Wheeler Engineering makes a kit. It worked fine for me before I started using Seekins stuff.

+1 on the Seekins rings. But if you already own a pair and you think they need lapped then Sinclair and brownells both sell them in 1" and 30mm. I would go with Sinclairs though just for the fact that the bar is made from ground stainless steel (longer life)and some others are just mild steel.

Using Leupold Mk4 rings and a Near base so that's $400 worth so I don't think quality is the issue.

Anyone hear of Kokopelli for lapping kits?

I have never lapped a set of 30mm rings. The 1" rings I always lap. My 30's are Badger, Seekins, etc. Never needed lapping that I could see.

On the 1" sets, I always feel better when I lap them because of the dovetail setup. They also don't appear to be as finely finished as the highend stuff, as you would expect.

I use the Kokopelli lapping kits. I think they're great and I've got them in 1", 30mm, and 35mm. I use they're kit to check the rings on everything before I mount any optics. The IOR rings were the only ones that didn't need lapping so far.