• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua 155 gr. Scenar loads

onechance

Fleet Admiral
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2003
IN
Does anyone us VihtaVuori powder in their Lapua 155 gr. Scenar loads? I have a 1 in 12" twist with a 24" barrel.

Doug

Re: Lapua 155 gr. Scenar loads

There has been alot done work with N140, use the search button on this forum, also another forum is www.practicalrifler.6.forumer.com/index.php which if you do not use the OCW method of developing a load I would suggest you invest some time in learing how, this site has instruction on OCW.
I use RL 15 for 155 Lapua one load published is 46.2 RL 15 155 Lapua in Lapua case, primer Fed 210 2950 fps Mike Rock barrel. As allways reduce and work up slowly this is a stiff load for some chambers in summer high temps.

I worked up to about 45 grains of VV 540 and had good results, but Varget is superior in my rifle for consistency and velocity.

Here in Finland quite a lot of people use VV N150 with their 308 bolt rifles and 155 Scenar bullet.

My load is a typical one:
47,0 grains VV N150 (over the list max but only slightly). Several guys I know use the same amount of powder for the same bullet with the same brass.
OAL as long as the magazine will digest (longer than CIP or SAAMI)
Brass Lapua
Federal 210 primers
Speed out of a 24"match barrel: 2950 fps easy without any pressure problems. Very acurate. Work out to 1100 meters in summer time even to 1200 meters.

N550 does not work well accuracywise. I guess the powder does not ignite well as the bullet is too light. For 170 LockBases N550 works well.

Do you guys run naked scenars or Moly. I just got a few boxes of coated ones to try out in my TRG-22 so any good ideas on loads are more than welcome.
Also i am looking for a good load using naked scenars in my M-14.

I use N140 with Lapua 155's in Lapua brass and CCI BR2 primers.My Sierra manual shows 45.0 grains as max charge. I am using 45.5 grains with excellent results. As always, start with a lighter charge and work your way up.

I just (about not chrono'ed yet) finished a 155 moly Scenar load for my AR-10 308 gas gun, 21" Noveske 1x10. 43.5 gr. VV150, Win brass, Fed GM primer, 2.810 OAL. I only tested @ 300 and if I do my part 1.75 5 shot groups consistently.

Lots of guys are shooting RL-15 behind the Scenar 155's also. I have been using Varget, but since everyone is out of 8# cans, just purchased 20# of RL-15. These two seem to load very similar.