• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua 155's only 154.2?

Redhook

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2008
I'm just starting to try some 308 scenar 155 loads and bought 1000 bullets. I'venoticed that they are weighing out to be 154.2 and 154.3gr. Is this normal?

Re: Lapua 155's only 154.2?

The Scenar is an excellent bullet, sub 1/2 MOA if your rifle and hand loading techniques are capable. I would spend time shooting them rather than weighing them. Just my 2 cents...

yes... they are actually 154grn bullets and used to be marketed that way but over the last couple of years they called them 155's.
As sagebrush has said they shoot great you won't be disappointed

Thanks guys. I reload 250gr .338 Lapua Scenar's as well and they are 250 + 0.3gr. I'm also used to Sierra's matching their weight. So I thought that it was weird that the 155's were less.

I have had a smiler weight range, but mine were + - .3 grain variance in a 100 count box, which seemed high to me. I would like to know what load you come up with. I couldn't find anything too impressive. It is a great round, just wish I could get it shooting in my rifle.

The 155 lapua is a good little bullet in the 308. With 46.1 of varget out of my 23in rock barrel, they run 2880. If you get them happy, you'll like the result.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Coletta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had a smiler weight range, but mine were + - .3 grain variance in a 100 count box, which seemed high to me. I would like to know what load you come up with. I couldn't find anything too impressive. It is a great round, just wish I could get it shooting in my rifle. </div></div>

So far I'm only getting 144.2 and 144.3 having only weighed a dozen or so bullets out of a box of 1000. I haven't started loading yet, but if I start to get a larger variance I'll report it here. My 250 Senar's were +/- 0.1.

I'm going to be trying IMR 4895. It's the powder I've been using for my 180gr load and some .223 stuff. So, I have a lot of it. I've been trying to push heavy bullets out to 1000 yards. Unfortunately, my 180's are going transonic at about 900 and go to hell when they hit 1000. They are only running 2560 at the muzzle. So if I can get the 155's up to 2800-2900fps with their high BC, I'm hoping to get better 1000 yard results.

Here's my sweet 155 load. Note: My OAL value is everybody else's ogive, just the way i do it.

2hi2iwh.jpg

Yeah 4 shot group is pretty weak but my gun loves this load and it's endlessly repeatable so..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redhook</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Coletta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had a smiler weight range, but mine were + - .3 grain variance in a 100 count box, which seemed high to me. I would like to know what load you come up with. I couldn't find anything too impressive. It is a great round, just wish I could get it shooting in my rifle. </div></div>

So far I'm only getting 144.2 and 144.3 having only weighed a dozen or so bullets out of a box of 1000. I haven't started loading yet, but if I start to get a larger variance I'll report it here. My 250 Senar's were +/- 0.1.

I'm going to be trying IMR 4895. It's the powder I've been using for my 180gr load and
some .223 stuff. So, I have a lot of it. I've been trying to push heavy bullets out to 1000 yards. Unfortunately, my 180's are going transonic at about 900 and go to hell when they hit 1000. They are only running 2560 at the muzzle. So if I can get the
155's up to 2800-2900fps with their high BC, I'm hoping to get better 1000 yard results. </div></div>

This is just what i have read, but I I have heard that this bullet really performs at 2950. I can't speak from experience, but maybe others can

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's my sweet 155 load. Note: My OAL value is everybody else's ogive, just the way i do it.

2hi2iwh.jpg

Yeah 4 shot group is pretty weak but my gun loves this load and it's endlessly repeatable so..</div></div>

Hey Binder. What powder is that with? Looks like a nice group.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redhook</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's my sweet 155 load. Note: My OAL value is everybody else's ogive, just the way i do it.

2hi2iwh.jpg

Yeah 4 shot group is pretty weak but my gun loves this load and it's endlessly repeatable so..</div></div>

Hey Binder. What powder is that with? Looks like a nice group. </div></div>

Varget in Lake City Match brass and a Federal 210 primer and my OAL value written there is to the ogive. I love that bullet/load it's an awesome shooter.