• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua 260 brass to 7mm-08

mwroseberry

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2009
urbana, ohio
Ok I've been running a 7-08 for a little over two years now. I have found that I do best running just winchestor brass that is factory 7-08. I neck col reload and have found I start losing accuracy with my brass after 3 reloads. I contacted Lapua about if they planned on releasing the 7-08 brass like they have recently for the 260. They responded with a not in the near future. So I asked them if I was better off re-sizing 260brass or 308 brass. Their response was to neck up 260 brass as they stated you run into few problems. I found I agreed with this as I've attempted re-sizing from 308 down to 7-08 and have found my brass over all length was too short and there was not enough neck to hold onto my long bullets.

My question is how many of you have necked 260 brass up. And how many reloads should I expect out of lapua brass to see if it's worth it.

Thank you,
Merritt

Re: Lapua 260 brass to 7mm-08

You stated that the OAL of case is to short, it doesn`t matter, it will grow to the length after some firing. And the neck being to short to hold long bullets is incorrect. When you neck up 260 brass, it creates a doughnut in the neck because part of the original shoulder becomes the neck, so you might want to neck turn a little. The reason you lose accuracy after 3 shots is, are you bumping shoulder back, are you annealing the brass?

You mention you are losing accuracy after 3 loadings? Are you by chance annealing? If not, try that before spending money on new brass. It sounds like you may have work-hardened your brass and are getting spring-back causing higher ES numbers.

No I'm not annealing. I will try it and see if it helps before I take the plung to lapua brass.

Thank you,
Merritt

I don't understand the problem with using Lapua 308. I'm looking at one I sized down and case length measures 2.013", trim to for 7/08 is 2.025. 0.12" is not a big deal what am I missing?

The problem with necking up is part of the shoulder becomes neck, and the shoulder is thicker, your asking for donuts unless you neck turn it away, I agree on annealing.

Neck down and dont worry about the length you will never know it