• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua .308 170 Gr Lock Base Bullets.

Deadshot2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2011
The Convergence Zone
Has anyone used these bullets in a .308 loading? A little heavier than the 168's, a little lighter than the 175's and an interesting "tail cone".

I was able to pick up a fairly large supply of them and expect to use them in a Remington 5-R Milspec at ranges out to 1k.

Interested in anyone's experience with them and any pet loads.

DS2,

It's called a rebated boat tail. The advantages/disadvantages of such are discussed at great length in other threads/sites. Sort by OGL and use with your favorite 168 powder data, you should be GTG. Work much better to 1k than 168s. May wish to use JB compound on the bore occasionally, due to the exposed lead base.

HTH,
DocB

DS2,

It's called a rebated boat tail. The advantages/disadvantages of such are discussed at great length in other threads/sites. Sort by OGL and use with your favorite 168 powder data, you should be GTG. Work much better to 1k than 168s. May wish to use JB compound on the bore occasionally, due to the exposed lead base.

HTH,
DocB

I haven't taken possession of these bullets yet but as I understand they aren't really a rebated base like the D-46 but more of a "pinched off tip" which looks a little like the base of the Barrett 416 bullet. Is their truly exposed lead?

Deadshot2,

Yes, they are a FMJ design, and do have a small portion of exposed lead on the very base. You are correct in that these are not a rebated boat tail like the D46s, but a more conventional FMJ style, with a typical bearing surface/boat tail break. As to the exposed lead at the base, it's a very small opening, and no, it won't cause you any problems at all.

Hope that helps!

From Lapua's 1/2004 pamphlet:

"The D46--often copied never equaled

The legendary D46 bullet is manufactured to the strictest tolerances of concentricity and uniformity of shape and weight. So, the D46 has shot it's way into the record books and will continue to be the worlds's most accurate FMJBT bullet in the 21st century."

They come in 170gr and 185gr/11gm and 12gm weights, or did.

Speer used to market them and I have some of their 50 ct boxes that are marked .309". I've also got an old brown box of 100 185gr D46s with the white D46 label on it with red 2d bullets in an arc. Number on the bottom of the label is 1199.

I've also got the 150gr/170gr Lockbase (B466/B476) .30 cal bullets, as well as their 250gr (B408) .338 cal LB bullets...shot some of these at 300 yds two weeks back, as a matter of fact!

I actually have a good, but quirky, stash of Lapua bullets.

Chris

I shoot the factory 170gr Lockbase load from Lapua. It was developed as the 1000yd long range load for those European Militaries that will not allow their snipers to shoot a hollow point of any type regardless if it was designed to expand or not. They have no problem reaching out to those distances either.

46gr-46.5gr N540 @ 73mm COAL -> 2780fps from 24" Tikka. Very good bullet i use it for everything over 400m because i can't get 155 to shoot right from Tikka at speeds required (2900+).