• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua 338 Lapua Mag Brass report

cali_tz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2010
NorCal
I have recently purchased 4 boxes of new Lapua 338 Lapua Magnum brass from someone on gunbroker.com, has got high ratings and sells a ton of stuff, so let's assume for the moment that he's telling the truth and not a dangerous scam artist.

He says he bought the four boxes (100 count) from Midway USA some time ago.

First issue: I get the four boxes, and each box contains exactly 99 brass, not 100 as the box indicates. The boxes were sealed, although I did not call CSI in to make sure it was factory original seal or not. Also, someone could kind of stick their finger in around the tape seal and sneak out brass one by one if they wanted.

Second issue: roughly 3 to 4 brass in a couple of the boxes had serious mangles in the lip of the neck. Couldn't have happend by dropping the box... these seem to be manufacturing faults somehow. Had to throw them away. Two of the boxes had no neck issues. Two boxes had like 3 to 4 problem brass.

Third issue: I resized all the brass thru my Redding neck resizer die. And the necks were TIGHT. And still tight upon seating... the bullets are taking measurably more force to seat than my other Hornady and Lapua brass from previous procurements.

I have bought much less Hornady brass, like 100 rounds or so of that, and never had a single issue. I would not be surprised if all of you have had nothing but perfect experience with Lapua, but just wanted to report my findings.

Re: Lapua 338 Lapua Mag Brass report

I've never understood why Lapua has such knarly necks in their virgin brass. Surely they're doing something to their loaded ammo to take care of this, and you'd think that for what they charge they could be a little gentler with the stuff.

That sucks about finding only 99 in your boxes; I'd shoot Lapua an email and see if they'll send you a couple cases to make up the difference.

All my .338 lapua brass is that way, usually only 2-3 damaged pieces out of 100rd boxes. I usually load light loads and make them my case forming loads to solve the issue of the extreme tight tension. I have been recently getting my .308 lapua brass looking the same way too.

thanks ... good to know my experience with the tight necks is not unique.
On the damaged brass, there's no excuse for Lapua to allow this... at roughly $2.50 per case, that stuff ought to be picture perfect.

I have had the neck issue with all lapua brass from .223 to .338. I know you say it couldn't have happened from dropping the boxes, but I would bet you would be suprised at the handling these boxes get in transit. I get stuff all the time that looks like it was part of one of those old samsonite commercials where a gorilla tosses stuff around. Usually a quick trip through the neck sizer and it is good to go.

I have had better luck with the new plastic boxes that Lapua is using to package their brass in now. Less significant neck damage.

I doubt the guy was scamming you, and there are easier ways to get 4 pieces of brass. I have been lucky that I have never been short in a box of Lapua brass, but it does happen. As stated above, check with Lapua, they might make it right.

madd0c

I don't have a lot of Lapua brass but did have a defective 6br case in one of my boxes. The neck was longed on one side than the other and unfortunately it wasn't able to be used. I sent them an email and got no response. I found one bad piece of .243 brass in a box of Hornady. I sent them an email with the picture and didn't get an email response, instead I had a new box of 50 in 3 days and a letter apologizing for the issue. I'll still buy Lapua brass but would certainly think they could do a little better supporting their customers.

thanks gents, will follow up with Lapua.

I recently bought some 338 lapua brass and was very dissapointed I have a clean up chamber and turn my necks and it is very consistent there is a thin spot on every one actually its about 40% of the neck that is thin.

and who is Kevin Thomas, sorry, but the name is unknown to me. I recognize Nammo as the parent company of Lapua.

Kevin is the Lapua USA rep.

Kevin followed up to a website form report on the brass problems. I sent him pics of the problem brass for him to send to the Lapua factory. He sent me a generous amount of replacements. The brass he sent seemed of noticeably better quality in terms of the annealing and finish overall. I must have gotten some bum batch from my gunbroker seller.