• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua 6.5 CM Brass primer pocket issue

parkerg31

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2018
So this brass is only twice fired, and im getting this weird ring around the flash hole in the primer pocket. It is making it difficult to clean the primer pocket all the way. Does anyone know what is causing this or what the effect is? Most of my brass is doing it.
IMG_4634 3.JPG

Your decapping pin is too large. Lapua brass uses a smaller flash hole. That ring is the brass that’s being displaced by using the large decapping pin.
This. Mine did the same thing. The target doesn't seem to care though. I did a lot of tests to see if squeaky clean pockets mattered and for .3-.4 moa I can't say it matters at all. I hit them quick to make sure there are no big chunks of anything and keep going.

Reactions: parkerg31
This. Mine did the same thing. The target doesn't seem to care though. I did a lot of tests to see if squeaky clean pockets mattered and for .3-.4 moa I can't say it matters at all. I hit them quick to make sure there are no big chunks of anything and keep going.
Is this brass no good now?

It is just different from factory new brass. Lapua makes the cases with small primers and small flash holes on purpose - but a larger hole is no big disaster.

... The decapping pin might still drag there, even with the enlarged holes.

Mine does the same thing. I resurface the primer pocket after the initial virgin break in. I don't notice much of a difference if any from the original size of the hole with velocity. The Frankfort Arsenal Case trimmer and prep center works great for this. Just put one of the primer pocket attachments in the machine and just start cranking um out.