• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua 6BR Folds

Mudflap621

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2020
*UPDATE* With help from members here and upon further inspection these don't seem to be splits but just folds from processing. I admit after firing some of them sure looked like being split but I cannot see any light through them.

Hey guys I just wanted to give out a little warning here for those of you that picked up some recent production Lapua 6BR brass. I was able to pick up 500 peices of much needed from the last run few weeks ago. Today I went out and fired 25 and after cleaning and close inspection noticed that there were case splits happening on 20 of the 25 pieces. After close inspection of chamber and scratching me head I started to inspect some virgin brass from that lot. There are distinct lines at the neck/shoulder junction. The first picture is once fired the second picture is virgin brass.

Im not here to bash Lapua and I have emailed them about the issue. I just wanted to put the info out there just incase some others have gotten some of this and I would recommend that you inspect carefully.

tempImagepLr2cI.png

tempImagem2IfzG.png

Last edited:
Its not harmless when those folds open up and gas comes out though correct? First picture has slight split but can't tell because I cleaned them. Im trying to upload another but keeps telling me file too big. The case is splitting directly on those "folds".

The folds are from forming the neck and shoulder, they may or may not fail at the fold.
You paid a premium for Lapua brass and that should not be there, contact Lapua
and see what they have to say.

Reactions: Mudflap621
I did immediately contact them after I noticed that where the cases failed was directly on those folds. Like I stated im not trying to bash them in any way just wanted others people to be aware because I noticed it on the majority of pieces ive inspected.

Lapua owes you new brass , they will do the right thing .

I have 300 of the same lot#. just received Wed....200 of them have been necked down for 22br. None of the 200 I have opened and necked down have those voids. I did an ocw test today firing 20 rounds and none showed any issue other than the loads shooting like a frickin laser beam.

Sorry to hear...

Screenshot_20230219_182610_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230219_182605_Gallery.jpg

Its not harmless when those folds open up and gas comes out though correct? First picture has slight split but can't tell because I cleaned them. Im trying to upload another but keeps telling me file too big. The case is splitting directly on those "folds".

The folds won’t open up, as the brass was annealed after the folds were made.

You’re gonna have to shine a light through the crack to tell off the naysayers or else it’s going to be a bunch of lapua bros in here saying you’re wrong.

It’s not a crack.
I hope your right the way its filled with carbon sure looks like it.
You’re gonna have to shine a light through the crack to tell off the naysayers or else it’s going to be a bunch of lapua bros in here saying you’re wrong.
Don't get me wrong I love Lapua but honestly haven't seen these lines in any of my other Lapua brass. Ill try the light trick when I get a chance my kids are going nuts.

I hope your right the way its filled with carbon sure looks like it.

Don't get me wrong I love Lapua but honestly haven't seen these lines in any of my other Lapua brass. Ill try the light trick when I get a chance my kids are going nuts.

All brass manufacturers let these slip out once in a while, more so lately with the high demand for ammo. I’ve made them when forming wildcats. They are not a problem until you inside ream the neck.

Welp @918v looks to be right cause I can't see any light through the case. I can't believe I didn't see that when loading cause its pretty obvious to see, when I was going through the once fired it looked just like a split.

Editing original post.

All said and done, that’s not the normal quality we expect from Lapua.
I do agree I didn't expect to see this and I went right to worst case scenario. I'll wait and see what they have to say but honestly if it doesn't affect the integrity of the brass I can live with it.

Reactions: Shifty6BR and lash