• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua 7mm 170gn Lockbases

19Scout77

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2007
GA
Has anybody used Lapua 7mm 170 gn lockbases? Any idea of the BC? And how did they perform? No info anywhere on these--I believe they are no longer made, and Lapua does not respond to emails. TIA.

Re: Lapua 7mm 170gn Lockbases

Nobody??? No wonder these were discontinued!

You sure that you're not talking about the 30 cal 170gr LB? I don't think Lapua makes a 7mm bullet.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You sure that you're not talking about the 30 cal 170gr LB? I don't think Lapua makes a 7mm bullet.

Chris </div></div>

I asked the same question when they were made available to me. YES they are 7mm, not 7.62. Lapua presently makes one 7mm hunting bullet, and used to make these ones as well. I know and love the .30 cal LB--and have the opportunity to buy 900 of the 7mm, but i need to find out a bit more about them first.

Lpaua did offer at one point a 7mm 170 Lockbase. Claimed BC was/is .442 which is pretty low. They were supposedly quite accurate.

Lapua should make a 170-180 grein Scenar in .284 as that would be very usefull for .284 Win, 7mm Rem Mag etc.

Thanks TA--that's the info I needed. BC = .442? What a waste of a 7mm projectile!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks TA--that's the info I needed. BC = .442? What a waste of a 7mm projectile!! </div></div>

Not necessarily a waste. The Hornady Interbond are 60% more expensive than the Amax, have a lower BC, and accuracy along the lines of the SST, but they are a GREAT hunting bullet.

It's very possible that Lapua did not intend for the bullet to be used in a long range paper application, but rather for hitting extremely hard out to a few hundred yards and retaining weight.

I have a couple boxes of SST's and about 1/2 box of Interbonds. I rarely shoot them, but when I am going to tromp around the woods I take them with me.