• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua Ammo Lot numbers, most important numbers to match up

A5scott

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Eastern PA
When wanting more of the same lot, do I just try to find the lots with the same velocity? Or also with the same actual lot number, which seems very difficult.
I tested about 5 different kinds of ammo in my .22LR. Some SK, Lapua and Federal. The Lapua Long Range stuff was much better and shooting much better than the others, and I thought I might try to get some more.
Is matching up the first 5 numbers ok? or better to get all 11 to match?

Also, looks like the velocity of this Lapua Long Range is 335m/s. If I find other ammo from SK or Center-X for example that are 335m/s, are they likely to shoot fairly well? or there is more to it than matching velocity of better branded ammo types?

IMG_3821.PNG

Thanks,
Scott

When wanting more of the same lot, do I just try to find the lots with the same velocity? Or also with the same actual lot number, which seems very difficult.
As 1813Benny says, when looking for the same lot all the numbers must be the same.

It's worth keeping in mind that the size (number of rounds) of .22LR match ammo lots often makes finding more of a particular lot impossible. Typically the higher the grade, the smaller the size of the lot. While most top tier match ammos lots don't exceed five to seven cases (5000 rounds in a case), even lower tier varieties such as Center X can be as small as three cases per lot.

In today's high level of demand for .22LR match ammo, it won't remain in stock long.

Reactions: A5scott
As 1813Benny says, when looking for the same lot all the numbers must be the same.

It's worth keeping in mind that the size (number of rounds) of .22LR match ammo lots often makes finding more of a particular lot impossible. Typically the higher the grade, the smaller the size of the lot. While most top tier match ammos lots don't exceed five to seven cases (5000 rounds in a case), even lower tier varieties such as Center X can be as small as three cases per lot.

In today's high level of demand for .22LR match ammo, it won't remain in stock long.

Yes, I was thinking that finding exact same lot numbers would be very difficult.
I bought 4x 50 round boxes to try and about 3 days later, that lot was sold out.
I did find lots that matched the first 8 numbers, so I was wondering if that's close enough to give good results, or I'll find out when I shoot it.

Scott

Since finding the same exact lot may be difficult, or even impossible, what is the next best strategy? Try a different lot with same velocity? If the lots are small, perhaps not much changes between lots, so does it make sense to try finding a lot number that is close?

The thing I like about Lapua is that I have found that there seems to be very little difference (in my opinion)between lots in terms of performance. Unlike Eley where there was a significant difference. So I just buy a case when I need more. My next outing will be to see if my new rifle likes Xact or Super Long Range better.

Reactions: jr81452
Since finding the same exact lot may be difficult, or even impossible, what is the next best strategy? Try a different lot with same velocity? If the lots are small, perhaps not much changes between lots, so does it make sense to try finding a lot number that is close?
If you had a lot that shot especially well, the only way to find another like it is to test different lots to see how they shoot.

Of course it's hard to know whether the lot is especially good or not until there are other results against which comparisons can be made.

It may be reasonable to expect that most lots are in the "good" range of performance, with some a little better or worse than others. There will be a few lots that are especially good and a few that can be quite disappointing. In general, it's the disappointing lots that you will wish to avoid.

With .22LR match ammo, average velocity is not related to accuracy performance. Slower ammo drifts a little less in the wind, if that matters.

I weather allows this weekend I will be testing Lapua Long Range, Center X and SK Long Range Match in my Vudoo and Custom CZ 457 with Lilja barrel both are 22in long.. I will post what the speeds were for each lot.

Just get signed up at the Lapua test center and get it tested. Pick the best ammo and buy a case or 2. No guessing just done.

I wish i could afford that so i buy a brick. I have 3 match guns. A 40x, an Anschutz 54 and a cz457 VTR. Usually 1 of the 3 will like the lot of center x i buy

David

Reactions: jr81452
The best way is to send it to a test center, and buy as many cases of the preferred lot number as you can.

I learned this the hard way when I'd order a brick, test it, and go back to find it gone.

A5 - Best is to go to Test, as said. 'My way' is to buy a few bricks, usually 2-4 depending on $$ on hand. I have 4 'good 22s' so as Dstoenner says usually one will like it. This Winter there were some really good 'sales' on SK-RM so I bought a bunch from 2-diff vendors to get diff Lot #s. I won't spend more than the cost of those 'cause I don't shoot matches.

Last edited:
Reactions: A5scott
Just get signed up at the Lapua test center and get it tested. Pick the best ammo and buy a case or 2. No guessing just done.

I wish i could afford that so i buy a brick. I have 3 match guns. A 40x, an Anschutz 54 and a cz457 VTR. Usually 1 of the 3 will like the lot of center x i buy

David
LOL! I wish I could afford that also!

I have 2 BR rimfire rifles, one based on a 1913 Anschutz and the other a 2500X custom. I've tried 8 lots of Eley Tenex and they do not like it. I;m shooting XAct Lapua and they both like it. Yes Ammo is scarce and expensive, but if you like winning!

Reactions: oldrifleman
Tried 3 lots of X-Act and it shot no better then SK Standard+ did. Had some of flyers very disappointed for the price. I shot in my Vudoo and custom CZ 457 with Lilja barrel. Could have been bad lots as Lapua Long Range and Center X shot much better. I

As with all things rimfire, rifles can be finicky. I have rife match ( give it to my kids), centerX, Midas+, Super long Range and some xact. Will see what my 1727F likes. Hopefully this next weekend.

Yes things change so much lot to lot. I really wanted to like Eley Black box match but it was not good same with Tenex no good. I have had better luck with RWS R 100, R 50, Special Match and Rifle match.

I gave up on ELEY 30 years ago after lot testing. For me Lapua has a much better track record of being consistent. It may not be the Best but my history says it is pretty good on the whole.

Reactions: Hardpan
For me finding center x in commiefornia is practically impossible unless I have it shipped in. I’ll never find the same lot to lot so I go by speed. My barrel likes 28xxx -29xxx so that’s what I try to find. Works for Midas as well. Bought two rando bricks of Midas+ @ 28xxx and 10 rounds go into the same hole 🤷‍♂️

IMG_5395.jpeg

- pic:
- top row is 10 rounds each of some SKLR my barrel hates
- 2nd row: left to right; left is 10 rounds Midas +, next is 5 rounds lapua SLR, next is 5 rounds Lapua LR, next is another lot of center x @ 24xxxx
- 3rd row: both are 5 shot groups of x act

If any one has LAPUA SUPPER LONG RANGE Lot # 33558/503214 they would like to part with please message , THANKS
I have a box of super long range (99% full) that I'd part with. I will have to check the lot number tonight. PM me if interested.

Tried 3 lots of X-Act and it shot no better then SK Standard+ did. Had some of flyers very disappointed for the price. I shot in my Vudoo and custom CZ 457 with Lilja barrel. Could have been bad lots as Lapua Long Range and Center X shot much better. I
It's my understand that Center-X, Midas + and X-Act are all the same production. The lots are tested after production and then given a designation of either Center-X, Midas + or X-act at that point. This was information in a video on youtube from one of the test centers. This is an interesting watch and helps explain that sometimes Center-X may out perform Midas or X-Act in your rifle. If you skip forward to about 9:20 in the video is when the technician discusses manufacture of the different ammunitions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pipefitter I’m