• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua Ballistic calculator

Fishkat

Aka Fishcricket
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Birmingham, Alabama
was on the Laupa web site and noticed they have a free ballistic calculator and app. Glanced over what it does and it looks interesting. I'll investigate a little more and download this weekend. Anyone out there already tried it, I'd like to hear what you think.

I use it and love it. Super easy to use once the info is in and you've selected the cartridge u want to dope to. Super easy to set wind and get your calls quickly. Like I said if it had a weak point it's the way you input info on cartridges. But just make sure your saving your edits at the bottom and it's cake. It's the only dope program I use. I have access to a sig 2400 which does everything but if I need a quick dope read this is what I use.

I use it and love it. Super easy to use once the info is in and you've selected the cartridge u want to dope to. Super easy to set wind and get your calls quickly. Like I said if it had a weak point it's the way you input info on cartridges. But just make sure your saving your edits at the bottom and it's cake. It's the only dope program I use. I have access to a sig 2400 which does everything but if I need a quick dope read this is what I use.

Thanks and glad to hear you like and use it. I'm using Trasol now and it's working well for me but the first impression of the Lapua app got my interest. I'll be playing with it this weekend and compare the results, ease of use and dope between the two and post my results later next week. If the app is as good as the brass I might convert.

Glad you brought this up. Was looking at ballistics calculator apps that are available for free, tried a few and as far as functionality the Lapua one looks to be a winner. I'll be giving it a try in the next few weeks, if the storms hold off for long enough

I've been getting my butt kicked w this app. I can get it to work for one rifle but when I try to switch to another rifle it's not working as well.

Im trying to use the feature that lets you set of for one load then set up a second load for the same rifle. It's supposed to let you input POI change and then it should adjust turrets for you w out needing to change your zero.

Anyone have luck with this?

I've not used it to compare trajectories or anything like that. But the second loadout for turret adjustments will become something I'll use when I get my barrels that are being spun up

Looks like they know about some issues w the app:

Thanks for contacting with us.

We found an issue with latest release and application rights management for
location update. We have fix available and it will come out along with punch
of other new features very soon.
Unfortunately I cannot confirm exact date as of yet so until that you need
to feed the weather parameters manually
Information about new release will be communicated in official Lapua web
sites and developer sites

www.rightspot.fi
https://www.facebook.com/RightSpotLtd/

BR,

Lapua Ballistics Development Team

I've been playing with it and so far really liking some of the charts/ graphs and the ease of use. Looking forward to future updates. I'd like to know how you enter weather conditions when out of Internet service, because it looks like it automatically pulls in and uses current conditions. Also curious how it handles spin drift, I'm seeing differences between my other app and this one mainly on the windage adjustment.

I have nothing but trouble with this app. I enter 168 gr for bullet weight and it switches to 154.32 every time, for every bullet/gun profile. It has been pretty useless for me from day one....

I have nothing but trouble with this app. I enter 168 gr for bullet weight and it switches to 154.32 every time, for every bullet/gun profile. It has been pretty useless for me from day one....

I just checked my saved data and you are right, same here 154.32. I don't think this was happening a few weeks ago when I was comparing data with another app.

FWIW, Hornady 178 gr weight is also converted to 154.32 gr weight when you display/edit the projectile details. Seems to be a problem throughout full range of common weights.

Hard to trust app's results when it does this.

Editing the value to the correct weight (178 gr in my case) and saving the results does not work. When you re-open the saved data it is again shown as 154.32.

As a side note, I've also been running Hornady's 4DOF calculator and it seems to be spot on compared with the results I get using Trasol. It has most Berger, Hornady and Sierra bullets profiles in a drop down to choose from. Provides all the basis info you need but not a lot of other bells and whistles.

You're right - my 185 gr bullets were also dropped to 154.32. Maybe an app to come back to once the glitches are worked out.

I don't see Hornady's 4DOF calculator - is that a mobile app or only on browser?

I've had the same problem. Also, it's just too busy for me. Too many panels, graphs and charts. It takes me too long to get to where I want to be with it.

The guts of it seem to work. Hadn't had my new gun beyond 100 yards before today. Threw a steel gong out at 425, and the calculator put me dead on, despite a 6 mph wind at about 40 degrees. I still like the functionality; if they get the glitches worked out it will probably be my go-to, at least as far as the free ones