• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua BC, ICAO or Metro?

Redhook

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2008
Does anyone know if the published Lapua BC's are done in ICAO or Metro? My ballistics calculator is looking for ICAO numbers.

I'm pretty sure Sierra's are Metro and I have made adjustments accordingly.

Thanks!

Re: Lapua BC, ICAO or Metro?

I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Here are some things other than the atmosphere which affect the accuracy of ballistic calculations:

Variation in powder temperature.
Variation in chamber temperature.
Variation in primer performance.
Variations in case dimensions, including, but not limited to, neck tension.
Variations in bullet parameters.
Barrel vibration.
Shooter interaction with the rifle doing recoil.
Inability to properly measure wind, which also affects vertical point of impact.

The result of that is that a given ballistic program must be "tuned" to the rifle and load in use, so that the predictions more closely match field shooting performance. Some programs, like Field Firing Solutions, have explicit mechanisms for doing so. In others, varying the B.C. may be the best option.

I think it is best to use data from the longest possible distance to do these adjustments, since that is where the margin for error is the smallest.

So, I wouldn't worry too much about which atmospheric model was used by bullet manufacturers. The notion that any ballistic program is going to produce perfect results, especially from shot to shot, is laughable.

And I say that as a shooter with at least 5 ballistic programs.

The reason I most often miss a shot is not from a failure of my ballistic program, but from neglecting one of the fundamentals of marksmanship.