• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua Brass...

Sugarbug

Sugarbug Don't Care
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2013
Louisiana
Natchez actually had some Lapua in stock and I picked up a hundred rounds. (damn, they're purrty)

I was wondering if there is any need to size them. I haven't taken a mic to them yet, but I'm assuming they're gtg out of the box.

For those of you that use Lapua brass, do you do anything before the first firing?

I run mine thru fl bushing die to set neck tension ,chamfer and deburr load and shoot.

Yes.. the necks are tight right out of the box. I wound up running an expander ball through them before loading. I didn't even bother chamfering them for the first go-around

Natchez actually had some Lapua in stock and I picked up a hundred rounds. (damn, they're purrty)

I was wondering if there is any need to size them. I haven't taken a mic to them yet, but I'm assuming they're gtg out of the box.

For those of you that use Lapua brass, do you do anything before the first firing?

Depends how anal you are and what your shooting requirements dictate. If you are dedicated to shooting them through a single hole, perhaps you want to sort them by weight, ensure that they all have the exact same headspace measurement to the datum line, set neck tension, and verify runout on a concentricity gauge.

All of that is too much for me because I have found that Lapua cases pretty much shoot just fine out of the box with no prep work. I check to make sure none of the case mouths are bent or out of round. If I find a few that are then I send them all through a neck sizer bushing. Otherwise, I load them up and shoot.

I resize them, just to straighten out any dented necks. I also trim them and uniform the primer pockets and flash holes. Thats just me, lots of others just load them with good results. Lightman

Lapua representatives have recommended running their brass over a mandrel die on this forum. Beyond that I always trim and debur them as well but thats mainly because I have a Giraud and it only takes a couple minutes to do a few hundred rounds then I move on to priming and charging and all is well. I've done both simply loading them and running them over a mandrel die and then loading them and I found that I did a LOT better on the longer range targets with consistent hits with the stuff that I ran over the mandrel die. The necks are a bit tight and if you have a mandrel die or you leave the button in your sizer that should take care of that.

~Brett

Lapua representatives have recommended running their brass over a mandrel die on this forum. Beyond that I always trim and debur them as well but thats mainly because I have a Giraud and it only takes a couple minutes to do a few hundred rounds then I move on to priming and charging and all is well. I've done both simply loading them and running them over a mandrel die and then loading them and I found that I did a LOT better on the longer range targets with consistent hits with the stuff that I ran over the mandrel die. The necks are a bit tight and if you have a mandrel die or you leave the button in your sizer that should take care of that.

~Brett

For 30$ a Lee collet die is PERFECT for straightening out necks and if you use it with a body die works Awsome too after fire forming