• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua brass

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    Scheels has 223 rem Lapua brass, but it does not specifically say that it is "match." In my searchs through the internet this is the first time seeing it. They have it for the cheapest price.

Just wondering if all new Lapua brass is match or standard and match?

As far as I am aware "match" is a term that typically applies to barrel chambering. I.E. .308 Winchester and .308 Winchester Match where "match" just means slightly tighter dimensions. All Lapua brass is consistent by design.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
    As far as I am aware "match" is a term that typically applies to barrel chambering. I.E. .308 Winchester and .308 Winchester Match where "match" just means slightly tighter dimensions. All Lapua brass is consistent by design.
    Good info! I had some 223 rem Lapua match brass, but I need some more. The stuff on sheels is only 5 bucks cheaper anyway.

Scheels has 223 rem Lapua brass, but it does not specifically say that it is "match." In my searchs through the internet this is the first time seeing it. They have it for the cheapest price.

Just wondering if all new Lapua brass is match or standard and match?
    The only time I've seen Lapua brass listed as "Standard" is when they have cartridges produces with LRP's and SRP's, the "Standard" being those with the LRP's. I've not ever seen Lapua list any brass at "Match". grade.

I thought all Lapua .223 brass had "Match" head stamp ?

1673137258091.png

Every box of .223REM brass I've gotten from Lapua is marked "match" however I have seen Nammo military brass (from Lapua) that doesn't. So it may just be a commercial designator.

Interesting answers, I'll probably just spend an extra 8 dollars and get it elsewhere. Just didn't want to pay shipping from 2 different store, cause I have other things in the cart from Scheels that only they have in stock

Link to a UK hunting board

Link to a UK hunting board
    Well it appears they are one in the same? The guys that bought boxes that said 223 rem/5.56 NATO still got rem "match" head stamped cases.

The standard Lapua 223 Remington brass cases originally sold as reloading components were significantly heavier than Lake City cases and as such they had lower case capacities. Those cases were head-stamped:

LAPUA

.223 Rem.

lapua_legacy_casehead_002-2665255.jpg

lapua_brass_01-2665257.jpg

High Power Service Rifle shooters using heavy OTM bullets wanted all the case capacity they could get and therefore were not very interested in using the legacy Lapua cases. Lapua then introduced their “match” version of their hand-loading component brass which was significantly lighter and had more case capacity than the legacy cases and was roughly equivalent to Lake City brass. This is the brass that is head-stamped:

LAPUA

223 Rem MATCH

Lapua_mactch5-2665205.jpg

lapua_cases_graph-2665211.jpg

The Lapua match brass originally came in the boxes shown on the left and now comes in the plastic containers shown on the right . . .

lapua_boxes_21-2665203.jpg

lake_city_case_weight_versus_other_brand-2665060.jpg

case_capacities_001-2665723.jpg

Sadly, Laupua has been slowly increasing the weight of the match cases over the las several years and therefore decreasing the capacity,.

Last edited:
    I never paid any attention until now so I went to look at my inventory. I have some 223 brass from 2008 that has Match in the headstamp but I can't find the boxes the it came in. I just bought some more a few weeks ago that was advertised as Match that does not have Match in the headstamp or on the box. So I actually didn't prove anything. I bought the most recent from a vendor that I don't usually use because after a long time looking they finally had 223 Lapua brass in stock at the same time that they had 2 other calibers that I needed.

I have a load for my 223 using AA2495 powder, it fit in Lake City cases with room to spare. In Lapua 223 Match cases it came up 2/3 the way up the neck. It was too much of a compressed load IMO.

I have a load for my 223 using AA2495 powder, it fit in Lake City cases with room to spare. In Lapua 223 Match cases it came up 2/3 the way up the neck. It was too much of a compressed load IMO.
    When I first started reloading last year I bought a bag of Winchester cases and a box of Lapua. The Winchester seemed to group better when all variables were the same. This was only out of one AR. I also experienced the same problem when I started to reach max loads from the hand loading books. Does LC sell virgin brass? I can only find once fired.

When I first started reloading last year I bought a bag of Winchester cases and a box of Lapua. The Winchester seemed to group better when all variables were the same. This was only out of one AR. I also experienced the same problem when I started to reach max loads from the hand loading books. Does LC sell virgin brass? I can only find once fired.
    I bought LC virgin brass a few years back , I am not sure if any of the virgin stuff is still out there . Sure is nice starting out with LC and not having to mess with a crimp . I turned mine into 6 x 45mm and it has held up well .

I used LC when I competed in XTC with an AR service rifle and match rifle. Basically you’re shooting at a 2 MOA 10 ring, variations in case weight didn’t matter, except for 600 yd SF, then you used either Lapua or weight sorted brass.

I used LC when I competed in XTC with an AR service rifle and match rifle. Basically you’re shooting at a 2 MOA 10 ring, variations in case weight didn’t matter, except for 600 yd SF, then you used either Lapua or weight sorted brass.
    I bought some Lapua and starline. Going to see if it makes a difference in my AR using one or the other.

I’ve got enough 223 and 223AI formed Lapua for a while. But, I’ve got 200 pieces of Starline in reserve in case Lapua goes scarce.