• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua once fired... Now what?

Sugarbug

Sugarbug Don't Care
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2013
Louisiana
Shot a ladder test with my Lapua brass and am going to run the same test again this weekend to check the validity of the results.

I have the once fired brass and wanted to know how to go about prepping them to fire again.

Neck size? Full length size? Trim to 1.750"?

Shooting from an AR.

If it is an AR you should full length size every time. Check your length to see if trimming is needed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Depending on you chamber specs, you may need to FL size with a small base die.

This insures proper cycling in a gas gun. Always FL size and trim to length for an AR.

Also consider a slight crimp on the neck to make sure your bullet doesn't get pushed
back into the case when it is chambered.

Some gas guns can be tricky to load for.

Depending on you chamber specs, you may need to FL size with a small base die.

This insures proper cycling in a gas gun. Always FL size and trim to length for an AR.

Also consider a slight crimp on the neck to make sure your bullet doesn't get pushed
back into the case when it is chambered.

Some gas guns can be tricky to load for.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I didn't crimp the last rounds and it seemed to go alright. Hopefully that continues to be true.

I didn't crimp the last rounds and it seemed to go alright. Hopefully that continues to be true.
You will think its alright not to crimp until it happens to you. Either roll crimp or get a Lee factory crimp for non cannelured bullets.

Sugarbug,

As has already been pointed out, ARs (or any other autoloader, for that matter) should NEVER be fed neck sized ammo. Full length each and every time, and a Small Base die set is just a bit of extra insurance and won't hurt a thing. Use a case gage, religiously, when setting your dies up, and make sure you're bumping the shoulder back .003" or so to assure proper functioning. remember, gas guns AREN'T bolt guns, and need an entirely different approach in regards to loading. No need to crimp, assuming that you're getting adequate neck tension, but if you do, try not to over-do it. Taper crimp (slightly) or use the Lee Factory crimp. Not aware of anyone who makes a roll crimp for 223, which would be inappropriate for this cartridge anyway.

Thanks guys. I should add that I'm single feeding this load, so the bolt isn't slamming them into feed grooves or anything.

I have never used or needed a small base die for loading for a gas gun (several of them).

I have never used or needed a small base die for loading for a gas gun (several of them).

This +1. Also never needed to crimp. If you're using quality dies and getting proper neck tension a crimp shouldn't be necessary IMO. Thousands of rounds in ARs (5.56 and 300BLK), M1As, and Garands. YMMV