• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua pronunciation

Which pronunciation?

• Lap-wa

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • La-poo-uh

Votes: 75 70.8%

• Total voters

db2000

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 27, 2020
    Been discussed before but thought I’d put it in a poll.

IMG_1298.jpeg

Call them it tells you, it isn’t a secret

It might depend on which Finn you ask...

Does Finnish have regional dialectic differences like English here in the US?

I was in the Army with a guy from Worcester, Mass... Woosta to him.

Mike

Reactions: babyguppy
    LOPoowuh. Good to know.

While we are on the subject of correct pronunciation, the way to say my login name is pen-DAY-ho.

• Haha
    Reactions: Maggot
    Heard it pronounced by an employee in a vid from Shot Show. It’s the first one…LAPwah
    That's how they pronounce it. When they say it there is a little of the "U" sound in between the P and the W just because of how those letters sound but it's not supposed to be enunciated much. The "LAP" part they pretty much say it just like we say the word LAP. Lap - wah. It ends up sounding a little bit line LAP- OOh - AH but LAP - Wah is the way I would write it to get someone to say it correctly. Hopefully that makes some sense

Reactions: Baron23
    It might depend on which Finn you ask...

Does Finnish have regional dialectic differences like English here in the US?

I was in the Army with a guy from Worcester, Mass... Woosta to him.

Mike
    Not to be confused with Dorchester ... Door Chester (go figure)

Reactions: OkieMike
    It’s odd that this is an opinion piece and not a fact finding mission lol. It’s like the guy who said Geisele is pronounced “jizzelle” when I said it correctly. i called them so he could hear the recording and he said they pronounced it wrong also…lol

Reactions: Jack_L
    Well.... since it's The Pit....

An idiot buddy of mine once called it "Lu-pah. Ya know, cause it rhymes with Fu-pah".

Now I'm all phuqued up and call the brass Fa-pu-Ah and the lady part Lu-pah.... or was it the other way around.

• Haha
    Reactions: 232593
    you guys got it all wrong as usual

The name Lapua is Finnish, so the L at the front is silent and so is the a at the end

Lapua really sounds like apu

1701639781987.png

• Haha
    Reactions: 232593 and Ronws
    It’s odd that this is an opinion piece and not a fact finding mission lol. It’s like the guy who said Geisele is pronounced “jizzelle” when I said it correctly. i called them so he could hear the recording and he said they pronounced it wrong also…lol
    I’m just curious how people pronounce it on here, possibly even despite knowing the correct way. I already know how it’s pronounced. I mispronounced it for years 🤣

When I see the name Geisele, the German language that I studied kicks in and in my head, it is GUYZ-eh-lay.

I could be wrong but this time, I don't really care.

Guys who pronounce it "la-poo-ah" have to be reminded not to hit on girls at the family reunion.

• Haha
    Reactions: Dirty D
    At an NRA show once, had a Swarovski rep decide for no reason to explain how to pronounce Swarovski. (I've been a Swarovski fan for years, didn't need any help, and didn't ask.)

He said, "Swore off skiing." :ROFLMAO:

LOL! Both in the poll are wrong. Is that intentional irony, or just stupidity?

The correct pronunciation is exactly like it is in Redneckese except the accent is on the first syllable instead of the second.
    LAH-poo-ah, not lah-POO-ah.

You don't have to pronounce things like native speakers. I refuse to call that shithole in the Middle East, Gutter. The country is called Qua-tar in English. I speak English. I'll call that shithole what I want to call it, and fuck you. The same idiots trying to correct Quatar don't call Paris, Pear-ee, becase they're simply idiots who try to mask their stupidity by mimicking the locals to make themselves sound smart. It's poser bullshit.

The Finns making ammo don't care what you call it as long as you buy their shit.
    Nobody-Cares.gif

• Haha
    Reactions: Hegre and Maggot