• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua scenar 139 vs scenar 136 L

jp67

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2006
Into the wild
What’s is your opinion regarding the Scenar 136 L versus the 139? Is one better than the other?
Thanks for your help

I've used both quite a bit over the past 12 years or so and the difference didn't really show up until I was shooting them pretty far (ie beyond 1000 yards). The 136s are just a bit more consistent across the board, so I eventually switched to them and haven't shot 139s since about 2012. They are pretty tolerant bullets and have used them in four barrels of varying lengths. I'm starting to use the Berger 144s a bit more now, but still have a lot of 136-based ammo laying around.

IMG_1449.jpg

Regarding BC, the 139 has a little advantage over the 136. Regarding price, the 139 is cheaper.
Positive seems to be consistency for the 136 L.

"The Scenar-L has the refined qualities of the original Scenar bullet with higher standards of jacket wall concentricity, weight variation and dimensional uniformity."

Scenar 139s are very inconsistent, with respect to weight/shape. Not even close to Bergers or Sierras. Do your own measurements.

Where I live, 139 is 18% cheaper than 136L. Have not tried 136, and shot 139 with good results up to 1100y. Tikka 260rem with shi*** plastic oem stock, no upgrades yet. MV ~2830fps. Single feed, OAL too long for magazine.

The 136 has been incredibly consistent in my gas and bolt guns out to 1,000y. A friend (also on the east coast) has said he did not have good luck with the 136 past 1200y. The 136 has performed so well I did not even test the 139s.

Can't go wrong with either one. Have shot literally thousands of the 139's over the years. Shoot the 136's as well although not in the same volume. Slightly higher BC in the 139's but the increased MV with the 136's with the same charge offsets the difference. This was out of 26" barrel. Both shoot well out to 1100.

Thanks guys for the feed back.
There is a shortage at my supply store. I will have a wait a bit more