• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua small vs large primer pockets

Joko111

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2021
Maryland
I’m brand new to reloading and I’ve been looking at buying some 6.5 Berger factory ammo since it comes with lapua brass, but it uses srp and wasn’t sure if it causes any difference, lmk what I need to know!

I’m brand new to reloading and I’ve been looking at buying some 6.5 Berger factory ammo since it comes with lapua brass, but it uses srp and wasn’t sure if it causes any difference, lmk what I need to know!
Variation in ignition will cause variation in performance. You might find that SRP's actually perform better in your particular rifle than the LRP's. The only way to know is to test and compare. Other than that, SRP's having more material in the cartridge base leading to much less of an issue for primer pockets becoming loose. Just keep in mind that SRP's are not as hot as LRP's and could be a problem in cold climate where LRP's would be the better choice.

Last edited:
Variation in ignition will cause variation in performance. You might find that SRP's actually perform better in your particular rifle that the LRP's. The only way to know it to test and compare. Other than that, SRP's having more material in the cartridge base leading to much less of an issue for primer pockets becoming loose. Just keep in mind that SRP's are not as hot as LRP's and could be a problem in cold climate where LRP's would be the better choice.
I live in Maryland so it gets kind of cold in the winter but usually around 20-30

I live in Maryland so it gets kind of cold in the winter but usually around 20-30
Where you finding Berger 6.5 with SRP? And what bullet in it?

I have shot a lot of Berger 6.5 CM Hybrid Target ammo and except for 3 boxes...oh, maybe 4-5 years ago...its all been LRP.

Id pick which e er I like and could get the most of if you only have small primer pocket's available go forth and buy them all up ,same for the large .
I like both I just so happen to have far more of the large primer pocket brass than anything else I also had more available large primers so my choice was very clear with little thought .

I have shot a lot of Berger 6.5 CM Hybrid Target ammo and except for 3 boxes...oh, maybe 4-5 years ago...its all been LRP.
I just heard the 130otm and other 6.5 brass from them was srp, guess that’s not correct

Small rifle primers can help to reduce your standard deviation shot to shot in some cases. Not everyone sees that in every rifle/load so its not a 100% rule but it is the general thinking for some guys in cartridges up to .308. There are times though that people have reported hang fires and miss fires the bigger you go due to poor ignition so testing is crucial. Especially when the temperatures start to drop. Some small rifle primer brass has large rifle primer flash holes to help ensure a solid ignition. And of course you can go with small rifle magnum primers which burn hotter and a little longer. There a MANY ways to go about building a solid load. What works for you and your rifle/conditions can only be determined by trial and error on your part. Welcome to the madness!

Reactions: Dolomite

I have seen SRP's mentioned on more than one occasion so it appears that it may have been out there at some point but a quick search on Bergers site shows all their 6.5 as LRP

Reactions: Baron23
Most berger ammo for 6.5CM is LRP. If you find small rifle primer, buy it all up.

SRP is preffered for a couple reasons:

-More consistent ignition being the big one. Not as much variability so it should help with you SD/ES.
-MUCH easier to source. LRP are damn near impossible to find and when you do, they will be cheap winchesters or some shit for $150-200 a brick.
-Brass longevity. With annealing and proper reloading practices, you should get atleast 20-30 firings out of lapua brass. The first thing to go is not split necks (because you are annealing) its loose primer pockets. SRP has more meat at the base so the primer pockets wear out much later than LRP will.

Most people use CC450's. The harder cup handles pressure spikes better and they are essentially the same exact primer as the BR-4.

-MUCH easier to source. LRP are damn near impossible to find and when you do, they will be cheap winchesters or some shit for $150-200 a brick.

Yeah I have noticed a huge difference from my last bulk purchasing spree to now. I couldn't find anything last time I was looking. Now I am having no problem finding the #450's but anything LRP seems to be a really tall ask.

Reactions: Dolomite