• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua Standard Plus Question

johnl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2006
Wet Coast
I shoot it out of my Anschutz 1712 with a leupy 4-14x scope. Shoot ragged holes at 50 yards. However I'm always re-zeroing the gun every-time I take it out. Shooting from a bench, absolutely no movement and get some flyers too. I'm wondering if the ammo is off or the reticle in the leupold is fucked? Thoughts

Gun in question

IMG_5145.jpg

If changes are big loose screws, if small parellex or conditions. After eliminating those, scope issue.
RTH

Changes in humidity can also cause minor changes in a wood stock. Anschutz rifles can be particualr about the torque on the action screws too.

Do you clean the rifle after each time you shoot it? I rarely clean a smallbore rifle's bore unless it quits shooting or I am changing ammo. My Anschutz 1813 will sometimes take 4 or 5 shots to settle back into the X ring, my Remington 37 takes 2 or 3 shots and my 40-XB is usually right in there on the first or second shot.

He hasn't replied back in 10 days...

Navy sometimes gets in the way of my shooting. Anyway, yes I clean using bore guide after every session, about 100 rnds. Try to shoot every other weekend. Try to shoot in no wind for groups, Once I get the gun dialled in at 50, I go for golf balls off hand then call it quits. next range session have to reset, up to an inch in windage. Elevation usually is only off 1'4 to 1/2". When I got the rifle from the dealer, they send me an assortment of ammo to try. The Lapua Standard Plus gave the tightest groups. Stock is not bedded, Scope hasn't been dropped, Maybe I'm expecting too much. Haven't tried the tracking test yet, and lastly I'm new to the precision .22lr game. Have a S&W 41 and winny 9422 but they are not in the same league as the Annie.

Thanks DFOOSKING, yes I stick with one ammo the lapua, its. Question how often do you clean the bore? 100, 1000 rounds or after every range session? I guess I'll have to practice more. thanks for the info

John

IMG_5090_zps0fc018ed.jpg
jjohnl's Library | Photobucket
IMG_5089_zps4081a33d.jpg
IMG_5088_zpsfcca3e79.jpg
IMG_5087_zps22b1ec91.jpg

Run a business card down the barrel/stock clearance, both sides. Wood might be touching on one side, and changing pressure with humidity. Also, remember that a slight 3-4 mph breeze will throw a .22 bullet 1/2" off at 50 yds. I use surveyors tape as a wind flag, and test ammo only when the tape is dead down. Tightness of grip also changes impact with lightweight rifles, with normal trigger pulls(2-3 lbs).

I have a rifle that shoots heavily waxed CCI SV really well.

If I let just one oddball wax ( say a Remington subsonic) round down the bore...it opens up like a shotgun.

It creates a hybrid, dont it.
This is really a interesting conversation going here for many rimfire shooters. Lots of good points and experiance being shared.
I must say that some refer to rimfires for training. I have been shooting rimfire for 50years. My trainer is a 223. Rimfire has always been something different all together.
To add you have a suprize coming from the next box of ammo and you get to figure it out. I still like it. Still learn from it.