• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua vs. Winchester New Brass

BoiseRob

Private
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2009
Lapua 308 brass costs 3 1/2 times more than Winchester brass.

Is Lapua brass 3 1/2 times better?

Re: Lapua vs. Winchester New Brass

Depends.

Some folks don't mind doing brass prep. For them, of the two you specify, Winchester is the better value. Otherwise...

I shoot .260, and neck up Win .243 brass. You could do the same with Lapua .243.

Greg

I love the quality and consistency of Lapua brass. Does it justify the cost well that is up to your wallet, your significant other (if that applies haha) and how much you enjoy brass prep.

Something else to consider, I do love Winchester as well. Considering i shoot mostly a custom M14, feeding Lapua to a brass eating machine is just silly. With good brass prep techniques, Winchester brass will not let you down.

I have to agree with what has been stated above.

Lapua brass is what I use in my bolt gun for MATCH shooting. Winchester does everything else. I have all the tools for brass prep and this time of year it helps keep the cabin fever away.

Unless you are shooting a match rifle to it limits, I would suggest the Winchester. But in the end, it's your money and you that has to live with the results.

I'm not sure I understand what several of you are saying. What "brass prep" is WIN brass going to require that Lapua is not?

flash hole deburring, primer pocket uniforming, better strength brass among some others

lapua is closer to all being the same i use winchester in my comp guns is guess i like better because have 1500 new 308 lapua that i dont use either one is fine

if you got 1500 new 308 lapuas how bout you remember the small guy and throw about 500 my way
laugh.gif

Lapua bass pays for itself in the long run because in all my tests they have lasted longer than Win brass (.308)

And like others have said, they do not require any prep.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure I understand what several of you are saying. What "brass prep" is WIN brass going to require that Lapua is not? </div></div>

I may have mis-spoken. I prep all my match brass the same way. No matter who the manufacturer. The main thing I find with Lapua is that it's more consistant in weight and wall thickness and usually the flash holes have a smaller burr on the inside. Lapua is the only company I am aware of that drills instead of punching the flash holes.

I have used Norma brass in the past. But because of not having a dealer that carries it close by I haven't used it in a while. I don't remember if they are punched or drilled. I just had it on my mind they were punched. The next time I get some I'll be sure and check it out and post the results.

Norma has drilled flash holes in the past, but I have no idea about whether they do now or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tarzan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lapua is closer to all being the same i use winchester in my comp guns is guess i like better because have 1500 new 308 lapua that i dont use either one is fine </div></div>
In english please?

<span style="font-style: italic">[L]apua is closer to all being the same. use [W]inchester in my comp guns[.] <span style="text-decoration: line-through">is</span> [G]uess like [it] better because have 1500 new 308 [L]apua that dont use. [E]ither one is fine[.] </span>

Closest I can come.

Last I heard, both Norma and Lapua punch their flash holes. Norma says there are a few exceptions that they drill.

"Value" to me depends on your desired use of the product compared to your cost.

Lapua brass will not have burrs in flash holes, flash holes will be the same size and length, necks will be annealed and consistant in thickness and the case head will be TOUGH to insure many reloads.

Winchester is good hard brass, but not up to the dimensional quality of Lapua. If you need LOTS of brass with good quality Winchester is a great choice.

If you need a good quantity of brass with GREAT dimentional quality - Lapua is the answer.

Some brands are tough, some have good thickness control, some have consistant primer pockets/flash holes. Only Lapua has it all.

Mike

Is the Winchester brass yall are referring to specifically Winchester Western "W W" marked brass or does that include the Winchester white box 7.62 brass too that is marked W.C.C XX?

How much difference are we talking about in group sizes between the 2. I am new to the sport and am beginning to load for my .308. Thanks for all of the info.
shane

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ID Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lapua 308 brass costs 3 1/2 times more than Winchester brass.

Is Lapua brass 3 1/2 times better? </div></div>

How do you get 3.5 times more? on a /1000 pieces, lapua runs about 50-55 cents a piece depending on where you get it. And win runs about 30-35 cents a piece. Thats only 1.5 times the price. Or is there somewhere you can get win brass really cheap?

CJG

My suggestion is try both and pick what is right for you. You never know unless you try them out for yourself. best thing you can do is start with new brass so you know what you have and go from there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winchester 69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic">[L]apua is closer to all being the same. use [W]inchester in my comp guns[.] <span style="text-decoration: line-through">is</span> [G]uess like [it] better because have 1500 new 308 [L]apua that dont use. [E]ither one is fine[.] </span>

Closest I can come.

</div></div>

laugh.gif

Where i live the lapua brass and win brass are almost the same so for me its an obvious choice of lapua... less prep work needed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">flash hole deburring, primer pocket uniforming, better strength brass among some others </div></div>

Might have to add neck turning to that list.

I recently bought 500 rds of WW for my 300WM (all that was available at the time). It's been awhile, so I'm going from memory, but IIRC the necks were (worst case) .0110 on one side and .0175 on the other. A few were as good as .0120 and .0145 but most were really out. Turned them all to .0115.

They shoot fine now, but something you should keep an eye on.

BTW, they varied in weight by up to 8 gr., with the majority being within about 2.5 gr.

For comparison, I bought Nosler 300wm brass over a year ago (made by Norma at the time) and they were .0150 to .0155 consistently and weigh within .5 gr. Less than .002 neck runout. Flash holes were prepped. Primer pockets were good enough to not need attention. They were trimmed to consistent length and the necks were deburred and chamferred. They were sized to give me .002 tension so all I did was drop powder and seat bullets and they shot under .5 moa out of the box. I have heard since that their quality has decreased, but I have not verified that personally.

Having said all that, If I could have bought 500 rds. of Nosler brass like the first lot, I would have gladly paid more money not to do the prep that the WW required.

My .02.

John

I agree with Victor. I do prep work to all my brass no matter what kind it is. I have used Lapua brass for years in my 308s and 260s.

My 260 brass is getting old now and I had to look at replacing it. The Lapua was hard to find and getting expensive so I tried WW 7MM-08 brass for my 260 and was very pleased with it. HOWEVER you have to be careful to get all the same lot number which is hard to do when they only sell it in 50rd bags. I had some that was a full 10 to 12grs lighter than the rest of the brass and a full grain of powder difference in the load.

As far as accuracy went it was as good as the Lapua but the Lapua will be hard to beat for longevity. Hope this helps!!!

Oh and you will have to debur the flash holes on the Lapua. This last batch I got was kind of weird. The lengths ranged from 2.05 all the way up to 2.11 for the 308 cases. All in all longevity is better but prepping your cases is essential to consistency plus it plays a mental tole knowing you have prepped them correctly. If your mentally satisfied with your prep work it will carry over to your shooting abilities.

the wife and myself both run lapua through bolt guns,if you are new to reloading,i would suggest to start with some winchester if it is that much cheaper for you.maybe 50 or 100 caseings.shoot them a few loadings.during this time you will ruin some casings by making silly errors,not being an ass cause i still mess UP too,just alot less than when i first started loading.after you have done the above and you get that first box of lapua and open it up.i have no doubt that your impression will be DAMN THESE ARE AWSOME.