• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Large Brown Bear taken with Vortex Optics

The Animal

Private
Minuteman
A pic of a large brown bear I harvested this month in Alaska using my self built bartlein barreled 338 Norma Mag topped with a 5-20x50 Vortex Razor HD.

296033_10150344625570758_94830825757_8124459_605826606_n.jpg

DSC00939-1.jpg

DSC00963-1.jpg

DSC00936.jpg

Re: Large Brown Bear taken with Vortex Optics

That is a nice pic. How big was the bear in lbs?

Appx 800-850lbs. 9' 6" in length.

The pack frame under his chin is a large cabelas guide/outfitter pack frame that only goes the length of his head & neck to give an idea of just how big he was.

Wow, that thing is huge. What exactly did you do with all of the meat? I'm going up there in 2013 for one and I am curious as to how much of the meat I might want to bring home? I've heard that it is pretty good and it is a fall hunt.

What kind of mount are you going to do?

Good looking bear. Great photo with the background shot, nicely done.

Holy Crap. I guess you dont relize until you see em in pics like this how friggin big they are

Nice kill!

That is one hell of a bear. I would love to be able to do that one day. Awesome bear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: h4everything</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, that thing is huge. What exactly did you do with all of the meat? I'm going up there in 2013 for one and I am curious as to how much of the meat I might want to bring home? I've heard that it is pretty good and it is a fall hunt.

What kind of mount are you going to do? </div></div>

The state doesn't require you to take brown bear meat so we left it there for other animals to fatten up for the winter. (I'm a meat hunter so it was different than what I was used to).

To be blunt, brown bear meat stinks! Imagine the nastiest tasting pork, full of parasites, that has the aroma of fish. Sorry...not for this redneck!

Mount will be a rug mount with the mouth open and the skull will be a European mount.

Good stuff Francis, Im hoping to get up there next year to get one myself.

Where was that? South end of Kodiak? AK Penn? Also for the people asking about the meat, you would not eat dear meat that was in a garbage truck. Well, that Brown Bear is the Alaska Garbage truck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats on the great bear !

specs on your rifle ?

thanks Scott </div></div>

The rig is a 338 Norma Mag that I built with a bartlein 5R med palma contour, jewell trigger, on a carbon fiber A-3 stock. I was shooting 250 gr accubonds @ 3000 fps.

The best part about the rifle, for this particular hunt, is the Vortex scope for a couple of different reasons.

Day one, I was one of the back up rifles, for a client of the outfitter and had the opportunity to shoot a bear that the other client had wounded at 70 yards. I placed a shot at 100 yards behind the shoulder and again at very close range where the bear charged us at 20 feet. Yes...<span style="font-weight: bold">20 feet</span>! So luckily I remembered to adjust the power setting of the scope, before approaching the bear at close range, from 10x at 100 yards down to 5x for close range shooting. (A 1-4x power TMCQ reticle would of been optimum had that been the only purpose of the rifle, but it wasn't). Needless to say it was a very surreal moment. All of this was captured on video and I'm trying to get a video from the outfitter. Plus friends that know me here know that I don't embellish or fabricate hunting stories.

Day two, myself and a guide move to a remote outcamp (shack & tent) a few miles away from the main camp. That evening we had brown bears in camp not wanting to leave. (Snorting, snapping, etc., 20yds outside our tent). One of the guides grabs my 460 S&W and flashlight to confront and/or scare the bear away. The bear doesn't want to leave the area so this goes off and on for a couple of hours during the evening while we are trying to get some sleep. The guide loses his patience and tells me to grab my flashlight and rifle to take care of the situation once and for all. So standing in the rain in shorts, tee shirt, boots, rifle and flashlight, against my better judgment, we are trying to scare this bear away from camp hidden in the tall grass in the dark. I tried to look through my scope at 5x, while holding a flashlight in my left hand under the forearm of the rifle and couldn't see squat so I remembered that I had the illuminated reticle so I turned it on high. This gave me a little comfort since I was able to see the reticle had I needed it. Luckily we didn't and the bear took off after we made numerous loud vocal announcements of our presence.

Day 4, I was able to get my bear to within 200 yards and to make an easy broadside shot after a 4 mile stalk.

So for all the typical hunting conditions someone sees in Alaska (cold, rain, snow, wind, humidity) the Razor HD held up beautifully and never fogged up or let me down. Scouting with Vortex Razor HD on 20x at longer distances while the guide was hogging my spotting scope made for easy glassing.

I don't want this to sound cheesy but I can't emphasize enough on the optics for this particular hunt. If any of you plan on a brown bear, sheep, mountain goat or expensive elk hunt, the most important part of your arsenal is high quality optics. You will be spending "days" behind your optics looking at and judging game.

Shooting at a brown bear is like trying to hit the car door window of a honda civic. Anybody reading this thread could probably do that with little effort even at long distances. What was key to a successful hunt is quality glass trying to spot and judge animals at 4-5 miles away. I was able to do that with the glass I had.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where was that? South end of Kodiak? AK Penn? Also for the people asking about the meat, you would not eat dear meat that was in a garbage truck. Well, that Brown Bear is the Alaska Garbage truck. </div></div>

West side of the cook inlet NW of Homer AK.

You're correct about the garbage truck. Funny analogy.

Nice bear. The bears I've had the pleasure to skin smelled like a gut pile. Not something you want to eat!

Congrats! I am hoping to go for black bear in Maine next year don't know that I would want something as big as your brown charging me!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Animal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I don't want this to sound cheesy but I can't emphasize enough on the optics for this particular hunt. If any of you plan on a brown bear, sheep, mountain goat or expensive elk hunt, the most important part of your arsenal is high quality optics. You will be spending "days" behind your optics looking at and judging game.

Shooting at a brown bear is like trying to hit the car door window of a honda civic. Anybody reading this thread could probably do that with little effort even at long distances. What was key to a successful hunt is quality glass trying to spot and judge animals at 4-5 miles away. I was able to do that with the glass I had. </div></div>

Could not agree more! In 2008 I went up for a grizzly hunt. I had my 16 yr old Zeiss 10x40 bino's and a newer Zeiss 14-45x spotter on a K&K tripod. The countryside of Western Seward Peninsula is totally treeless and on a clear day one could see for 10+ miles. We spotted a good bear 6 miles out along with a 62" bull moose another mile further. I know he is 62" wide 'cause I shot him @ 15 yds with my Ruger NM Black Hawk in 45LC.

Don't scrimp on a hunt such as this with cheap glass!

Oh yeah! Nice bear!

6.5x47

From your thread title I'd expect you to have beaten the bear to death with your scope!
wink.gif

Congrats on a successful hunt and a great looking bear.

Very nice indeed, thanks for sharing the pics, great trophy