• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

K-Bars Large diamond sharpener..

gunjunkie45

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 28, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I have a few "super" steel knives that just won't sharpen on a conventional stone. Looking for a set of large diamond stones. What does the Hide recommend?

DMT or EZE-Lap. I get better results from the interrupted plates over the continuous surface plates. Skip the 2X6 stones and get the 8X3 or larger bench stones. The DMT stand is a bit cheesy, so I'd get a better stand that is adjustable to fit a large variation of sizes.

The DMT duo sharp is what I would recommend. They are 2 sided stones with different grit on each side. Get the Extra coarse/coarse and fine/extra fine which should truly cover all of your needs. They say no lubricant is needed, but I use soapy water. Oil is not recommended. Dry the stones well after use or they will rust.

For ultra edge refinement, the diamond paste works well, but put it on a hard wood block. I use hard maple that is surfaced dead flat.

Last edited:
    If you can and you do a lot of sharpening, use a buffing wheel w/ various rouges' or pastes. I found it the best way to sharpen, as you can control the angle of the blade.

I have a set of Japanese whetstones and while they are good, they are also a pain (IMO).

I just ordered a set of the DMT 6" diamond whetstones - extra fine, fine, course and extra course.

Will give them a try when they get here. Appreciate the thread and suggestions.

I sharpen s90v with my Wicked Edge system with no problem at all.

I use DMT, however I would love to have a wicked edge system:)

I use DMT, however I would love to have a wicked edge system:)
    I have the wicked edge go. Bought the extra 800/1000 stones and it is the best sharpening tool I have ever used. Every knife I have put on it get shaving sharp fast. S90v wasnt shit to sharpen with it. I got about 400 tied up in a knife sharpener but fuck it. I got tired of buying junk sharpeners and them not working or the blade being too hard. For me it was my money well used

Reactions: CraigT
    I cant use a Whetstone at all and keep the same angle. I wish I could. But that is one of the reasons I got the wicked edge. It takes all the dumb out of it. Well for me anyway. Did I mention dont like dull knives lol