• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Large first shot velocity deviation

LRJammer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2011
Southwest US
Hey all. Got some really interesting results from some load testing I have been doing and was curious if anyone else has ever experienced this.

I recently had a new barrel put on my AX and while it was in, had them turn down the firing pin and bush the bolt so I could change over to small rifle primer brass. Since I was changing to new brass, and a new powder, I started fresh with a full ladder test and once identifying the node, tested for the sweet spot above and below the node in 0.1 Gr graduations. While it is more work, this has always given me the ideal sweet spot with the lowest SD and best accuracy.

The strange part was when I got home and checked out the velocity data from the testing. I fired 1 - 5 shot string as sighters to confirm point of impact at my shooting distance (425 yds), followed by 5 - 10 shot strings of each load with about 5 minutes of cool down time between strings. The first shot of each string was in every case, the slowest of that string by a significant margin. The variation of the first shot averaged 25 ft/sec slower than the average for each string! Several were over 30 ft/sec slower than the string average.

Not sure what to make of this. Has anyone ever seen this?