• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Large Frame Ar rifle pack suggestions

sheepdog697

RegionRat
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 26, 2017
    Cedar Lake, IN
    www.ibew.com
    Currently have an Eberlestock H2 gunrunner for my bolt gun and it's a tight fit. Love the pack, but the rifle scabbard isn't large enough to slip in my large frame with my Optic and mag in. I probably purchased that about 3 years ago and have been out of the game since. Is Eberlestock still the gold standard? Any other recommendations before I just purchase the larger offering from them?

Information:
    Budget:$400 max
    Use: Carry rifle to and from range with all the goodies in the bag/walking in to hunting spots no more than a few miles at most. (not a 3 day pack)
    Rifle: LRP-07 22" with 1.5" heigh mount and running the 25rounder pmags
    Other things id put in the bag: Tripod, Range Finder, spotting scope, spare mags, kestrel, suppressor, extra layers, McDonald's chicken nuggets
    Hydration bladder pocket would be a plus but not a must

(made in usa is a plus)

Thanks in Advance!

eberlestock is pretty low in my book but for what you're describing and budget they work.

not that i carry a loaded rifle in my pack from the car to firing line

run a smaller mag in all honesty but i'm not sure exactly what scenarios you're carrying it loaded with 25 rounds ready to go in

Reactions: Huskydriver
    Thanks for the reply.

I carry it with the mag in when I'm hunting. I listed the 25 round mag because its the largest of the ones i own, and id like the ability to have it in the gun if I happen to be running the pmags. I usually run the m118lr pmag because of the longer coal(2.830 coal vs 2.750 in the standard mags), but they only offer it in the 25 round version.... I wish they offered it in something smaller.

When I transport to and from the range its cold. But id like the ABILITY for it to fit in the pack with the 25 round mags.

What other packs do you recommend?

Reactions: b6graham
    with a scabbard? none that i know of besides drag bag types that can function as backpacks but idk if they'd fit with a 25rd mag and scope

kifaru
    kuiu
    both make gun bearers that can attach to packs (even not their own). different style of carry though and more for hiking than range use

with a scabbard? none that i know of besides drag bag types that can function as backpacks but idk if they'd fit with a 25rd mag and scope

kifaru
    kuiu
    both make gun bearers that can attach to packs (even not their own). different style of carry though and more for hiking than range use
    Roger that. Shes thiccc. Yes id like one with a scabbard for this specific use. I have a few other packs that I use for other things. My buddy uses the kuiu camo, quality stuff.

A large frame gas gun with a 25rd pmag in gas a pretty ridiculous profile. Why not grab a 10rd kac to keep in if you’re worried about oal and run a mag pouch on the side with your 25rd mag. Or for that matter a kac or larue 20rd. Both have more internal oal and smaller outside dimensions than any 20rd poly mag.

It seems like filling the one niche feature you want is going to end up with something way less practical than it could be.

Reactions: GUNNER10
    If scabbard is non-negotiable, you’re stuck with Eberlestock and damn is that a miserable experience (I speak from experience)

My vote…. Ditch the obsession with scabbards and get the Kifaru that tickles your fancy the most.

I use: Shape Charge + Grab-it

However, my rifle is shorter. THIS (Straightjacket) would completely demolish your budget after you got a frame for it, but would be infinitely more versatile

Reactions: Makinchips208
    You could use a pack with a meat shelf like a Mystery Ranch Pintler and just sandwich your rifle between the frame and pack.

You could use a pack with a meat shelf like a Mystery Ranch Pintler and just sandwich your rifle between the frame and pack.
    yeah or a kifaru with a sherman pocket too either in the meat shelf or a bag like a Nomad

could use a drag bag sandwiched in a meat shelf too to make it a more 'permanent' system

Reactions: dgheriani
    I run the solo adjustable width eberlestock scabbard between my carbon fiber frame and KUIU pack for hunting; albeit when I am packing my HK MR662 I run a 10 rd mag, empty chamber.

Story:

Basic CO mule deer hunt.
    2 buddies. 1 deer tag each.

See deer, walk towards where they are slowly walking and grazing and set a shooting spot 275 yds away.
    I Shoot 1. Dead. They run 20 yds and look around, so Buddy shoots his.
    Up high on a ridge, 1200 ft above the truck and about 1.5 miles. Very steep, rocky, not an easy pack out, even if short.

Quarter deer. Carry mine and rifle easy with Kifaru, as well as my buddy’s jackets and stuff as it was 15 at 0600 and 40 and sunny now. He struggled and fought with an Eberlestock and made it, but sore and not happy. Very fit guy, not the issue.

Got home, buddy got online and ordered his own Kifaru.

His Eberlestock is a range bag, hunts with the Kifaru.

Elberlestock is the only one with a 'real' scabbard. They enforce their troll patents. And they are the overall a terrible pack if you ever need to carry a lot of weight a long distance. I'm glad I sold mine.

Mystery ranch, kifaru, and attack pack are all way better designed options. Yes, they are more expensive.

yeah or a kifaru with a sherman pocket too either in the meat shelf or a bag like a Nomad

could use a drag bag sandwiched in a meat shelf too to make it a more 'permanent' system
    Yeah, I've done that with the drag bag sandwiched in the meat shelf of my Metcalf when snowshoeing in a few miles to my spot to shoot my .300NM.

This last Fall in AK wanted to go light but love my KUIU packs, especially the CF frame that totally moves in sync your body motion. For LW I just use a Solo Hunter cover and strap the rifle on the rear of the pack. Quick deployment but good protection. Miles and miles of walking, climbing; spike camps 7x, 60” bull, nice Goat in crazy high country and a fabulous Wolverine.

I have had eberlestock - definitely ditched those, liked my Mystery ranch a lot but for me the KUIU system for packing in and out has been fabulous. I spike in, spot, stalk, shoot, bone out and begin the journey out.

I have friends with Kifaru, excellent packs for sure. Perhaps part of my KUIU preference with the cf frame is because I have had 17 surgeries from my feet/legs/both knees and on my third spinal surgery, new discs and hardware from S1-L3.

Op could check out Vorn packs. I have usd mine with small frame ar and a 50mm optic.
    They are better them Eberlestock, but not as nice as Kifaru.

A large frame gas gun with a 25rd pmag in gas a pretty ridiculous profile. Why not grab a 10rd kac to keep in if you’re worried about oal and run a mag pouch on the side with your 25rd mag. Or for that matter a kac or larue 20rd. Both have more internal oal and smaller outside dimensions than any 20rd poly mag.

It seems like filling the one niche feature you want is going to end up with something way less practical than it could be.
    Did not realize kac or larue had a longer oal than 2.75. Will definitely look into this. Thanks

Take the mag out of your gun or use a gun carrier like the Gunbearer or the Exo or similar.

If you're already leaving your rifle in the pack there's no need to have the magazine in it, I think that is an unnecessary requirement, it's already slow to get the gun out; if you need the gun ASAP, carry it in hand or use one of the above rifle carriers. If you're pack hunting I don't see why you need a 25rd magazine anyways, I'd grab one of the smallest mags I could and use that as my hunting mag, and then carry a backup mag in my pack in case that one gets lost or I need more ammo to confirm a zero with.