• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Large Frame Build Guide.

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
I know the info is here someplace, but search sometimes turns up a lot of extraneous results.

I changed my mind (shock) and plan to build a 6.5 Large Frame Gas Gun.
Now comes the fun of figuring out parts and putting it together. Is there a definitive guide to building large frame ARs?

Since there are no Mil-Spec guidelines for a LFAR... there really isn't a "definitive guide to building large frame ARs"
To many parts don't cross over to all the variations of a LFAR.

IMHO, your best bet, is to buy a matching upper and lower, buy the parts kit for both, and use a DPMS pattern for the BCG and barrel.

List what you decide to use, and we can help guide your selections.

Key is matching receiver sets … quality barrel (seriously DO NOT cheap out on it … I cannot recommend Criterion highly enough with their M118LR barrels) …

Repeat after me … adjustable gas block … adjustable gas block … adjustable gas block.

If you want collapsible stock … get the LMT .308 buffer kit … if you want to go fixed … get Aero 308 rifle buffer kit.

I followed 9-Hole reviews take on a SASS rifle to have what I wanted.

Since you are going with a 6.5 gun .. MAKE SURE you get a high pressure bolt ...

Last edited:
Aero Precision upper/lower/hg, rifle PRS, and Lothar/Walther didn't let me down.

Reactions: TripleBull
Here is my build setup ... it is a .308 but you guys get the idea (I am looking to actually trying to trade it for a Sig Cross 308 but as far as a proper AR10 ... I wouldn't have it any other way):

Criterion M118LR 22” Hybrid Nitride Barrel (my opinion the best match AR10 barrel around but it hasn't been available for quite sometime now)
SLR Adjustable Gas Block
Aero M5 FDE Receiver Set and ATLAS Handguard
Aero BCG
Aero A2 .308 Rifle Buffer Kit
Aero Ambi CH
YHM QD Brake (Rocksett used)
CMMG Ambi Mag Release
Radian 45 * Ambi Safeties
Larue MBT-2S Trigger
FAB RAPS Precision Stock (way better than a PRS3 in my opinion)
Ergo SHINES Grip
Magpul VFG
Troy Squid MLOK covers
BCM QD Sling Attachment

What you will see is its fairly a matched setup ... the guts are from the same manufacturer ... the barrel is high end ... small parts are quality ...

My setup will keep up with maaaany bolt guns and holds its group really well.

Last edited:
Reactions: kerm029
I strongly recommend full sets of upper/lower/handguard from one manufacturer like the Seekins SP-10 or Aero M5 Enhanced sets.
A few other “musts” if doing 6.5 CM….

High pressure bolt
Full mass bolt carrier
H2 (good) or H3 (better) buffer
+2” rifle length gas system if 22” barrel or longer
Adjustable gas block

I agree with starting with a set of matching receivers and using an adjustable gb. I had some initial problems with the bcg over traveling and dinging the lower receiver. I ultimately solved it by using an Armalite (kit) rifle length buffer, spring and tube. Now my AR.308 runs very well.