• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Large Frame Optic Help

Jigstick

“What’s the matter colonel sanders….chicken?”
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2017
    Pittsburgh PA
    I need to decide on an optic for my SP10 6.5CM. My range goes out to 1500yds however the majority of my shooting is 1000yds and in.

I’m looking at two optics in particular. The Gen 2 Razor and the Burris XTR3.
    What I can’t decide on is what magnification range to go with.

The 18-20x options of these two scopes seem appropriate. The high mag ones just seem stupid large in size. But the difference in price between them is negligible. I’m at a loss

The Vortex 3-18 is a great scope with a very good track record but it is a cinder block, if you don’t mind the weight it will serve you well. The Burris XTR III has exceptional FOV while maintaining excellent edge to edge sharpness with image quality that punches above its class; however, it does not yet offer illumination and the SCR2 reticle is very thin on the 3.3-18 model. If you like thin reticles and don’t mind not having illumination the 3.3-18 is hard to beat for the price, especially used prices on the Hide.

I actually like thin reticles. I’ll be punching steel and shooting groundhogs / coyote with this rifle primarily. I have scopes with illumination but I have only ever used it once while hunting white tail. The wider FOV is probably more beneficial to me for the purpose of this rifle than illumination. So I’m leaning towards the XTR3. What I can’t decide on is what mag range to get. I don’t want the Hubble space telescope mounted to the top of gun

Personally, I would choose the 3.3-18x50 for a gas gun, but I have a preference for short scopes on short rifles, 18x is sufficient for 1000 yards plus, I even dial my higher magnification scopes down below 20x due to mirage most of the time. The 5.5-30x56 is an outstanding scope as I have this one on my rimfire trainer but it is a longer scope.

Reactions: SRPowah
    They are both very good choices and I don't think you could go wrong with either one of them. Personally I think I would go with the Razor primarily because of the track record and excellent warranty. But it might just boil down to your preference and reticles.

jmo, although i run a max 18x on my 20S, if i was going to shoot 6.5cm out to 1500 i would get a higher power.
    the exception would be if you need be able to shoot so close that the narrow field of view would be a problem, which is you and me both.
    the reason is that you can always dial back, but the extra range may help read wind downrange.