• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Large Magnum Pistol primers in 6.5 Creedmoor??

Stang66

Old guy with one eye and still steady
Minuteman
May 31, 2021
Texas
I have 6000 CCI 350 magnum primers and want to know will they work in the 6.5 Creedmoor.
Can’t find any large rifle primers where I’m at and going blind searching dead end sights

Thanks
Stang66

I'd say yes. But try a few before cranking out a ton. Magnum large pistol is probably very close to Large Rifle if not equal.

If you only got 1 eye already, I'd refrain from taking interwebs device pops, especially from a guy that has "a rendezvous with death" as his moniker.

But hey, you've got 6000 chances to prove me wrong.
Make sure to try multiple powders of various burn rates to prove it safe. I bet the primer companies just mark "magnum pistol" and "large rifle" to sell more of the same thing.

Reactions: Stang66
OP, you left out the key word... these are large "pistol" magnum primers, not large rifle magnum primers....

There is only one place to get an answer for this, try and ask their customer support folks. 866-286-7436

Unless you have direct access to their engineering and establish that their large magnum pistol primers and their large rifle primers take the same pressure, then I would put more effort into hunting for the correct primers.

A typical pressure for magnum pistols can be roughly 250 MPa, but typical large rifle primers are more like roughly 400 - 450 MPa. or nearly 2X. When the cup material and design are considered, there is a margin of safety against pressure. Unless you know it, don't take chances.

It has been difficult to buy primers for years now, but not impossible if you apply yourself.

I have 6000 CCI 350 magnum primers and want to know will they work in the 6.5 Creedmoor.
Can’t find any large rifle primers where I’m at and going blind searching dead end sights

Thanks
Stang66
There can be or are some significant differences (variations between manufacturers) between Large Pistol Primers and Larger Rifle Primers (see pic below). Depending on the dimensions of the primer pockets your brass has, it's possible the pistol primers can work in those rifle cases. But, you'd better check and know your dimensions. Also, note that the thickness of the material that's used in pistol primers are thinner than those in rifle primers, which can cause piercing of the pistole primers due to much stronger strikes rifles tend to produce.

Primers and Primer Pockets.jpg

There can be or are some significant differences (variations between manufacturers) between Large Pistol Primers and Larger Rifle Primers (see pic below). Depending on the dimensions of the primer pockets your brass has, it's possible the pistol primers can work in those rifle cases. But, you'd better check and know your dimensions. Also, note that the thickness of the material that's used in pistol primers are thinner than those in rifle primers, which can cause piercing of the pistole primers due to much stronger strikes rifles tend to produce.

View attachment 7946895

Reactions: straightshooter1
Thanks for the info and print. I was thinking the same. I will definitely load just primers an some empty cases and just see what the firing pin does for starter . Yep and call to see what the mfg says.
If you only got 1 eye already, I'd refrain from taking interwebs device pops, especially from a guy that has "a rendezvous with death" as his moniker.

But hey, you've got 6000 chances to prove me wrong.
Make sure to try multiple powders of various burn rates to prove it safe. I bet the primer companies just mark "magnum pistol" and "large rifle" to sell more of the same thing.
yes I saw that….what could ever go wrong☠️

OP, you left out the key word... these are large "pistol" magnum primers, not large rifle magnum primers....

There is only one place to get an answer for this, try and ask their customer support folks. 866-286-7436

Unless you have direct access to their engineering and establish that their large magnum pistol primers and their large rifle primers take the same pressure, then I would put more effort into hunting for the correct primers.
A typical pressure for magnum pistols can be roughly 250 MPa, but typical large rifle primers are more like roughly 400 - 450 MPa. or nearly 2X. When the cup material and design are considered, there is a margin of safety against pressure. Unless you know it, don't take chances.

It has been difficult to buy primers for years now, but not impossible if you apply yourself.
Will do

Thanks
Stang66
ok everyone I just spoke to CCI tech and was advised against using the Large Pistol Magnum Primers in my 6.5 Creedmoor !!!!
He reported that there have been incidents where they would not completely ignite the powder sometimes causing bullets to jam in the barrel. He also said that in some cases the charge would reignite after the bullet exited the case causing catastrophic damage to the rifle!!! So I go shopping again…for Large Rifle primers.
Thanks to Everyone for your input, the drawings and expertise! I need to keep the one eye I have left👻

Last edited:

I posted the information I was told by CCI…The guy was straight forward with some real life information on bad gone wrong real facts.
Thanks

Reactions: RegionRat
Looking at this question the other way... it has come up lately due to shortages and sometimes rifle primers have been used in pistol loads.

While a rifle primer in a pistol will not challenge the design margin from a pressure stress view, there are some instances where the ignition energy of a pistol can cause reliability issues. Many pistols have good margin for ignition, but not all.
The primer cup material and dimensions are stronger in rifle designs and can become a challenge for certain pistols. YMMV

Thanks
Stang66
Don't do it , usually not the same. Thicker material on rifle primers as a general rule.

Well, I actually do use large pistol magnum primers in 6.5 cm and several other rifle calibers in reduced loads, say 2,000 fps and no more than about 30,000 psi. The deep seating depth combined with the thinner/softer cups and the powerful rifle striker leaves them with a very bashed in look. I have had erratic performance with magnum large pistol magnum primers in cases larger that about 308 that is fixed with a rifle primer.

I wouldn't ever try any large pistol magnum primer in a regular rifle load. Beyond the limits I mentioned, I get primer piercing pretty bad.

Reactions: straightshooter1
Will do

ok everyone I just spoke to CCI tech and was advised against using the Large Pistol Magnum Primers in my 6.5 Creedmoor !!!!
He reported that there have been incidents where they would not completely ignite the powder sometimes causing bullets to jam in the barrel. He also said that in some cases the charge would reignite after the bullet exited the case causing catastrophic damage to the rifle!!! So I go shopping again…for Large Rifle primers.
Thanks to Everyone for your input, the drawings and expertise! I need to keep the one eye I have left👻
I witnessed a catastrophic event but it was small pistol in small rifle case. Bullet started at first burn, then things flew in all directions on second burn. Upon investigation it was determined he had placed a tray of SPP in in the box of SRP by accident at some point. When loading these rounds he looked at box, pulled a tray of primers and went to work. The first 5 rounds went off without a hitch, the 6 was a surprise. Soot, burned hair/skin, broken rifle and wounded pride were on full display. Check and check again when dealing with thing that can kill you.

Reactions: Stang66 and Modoc

Will do
Well, I actually do use large pistol magnum primers in 6.5 cm and several other rifle calibers in reduced loads, say 2,000 fps and no more than about 30,000 psi. The deep seating depth combined with the thinner/softer cups and the powerful rifle striker leaves them with a very bashed in look. I have had erratic performance with magnum large pistol magnum primers in cases larger that about 308 that is fixed with a rifle primer.

I wouldn't ever try any large pistol magnum primer in a regular rifle load. Beyond the limits I mentioned, I get primer piercing pretty bad.
in the 70’s &80,s nobody hardly ever wore safety glasses including me then it became mandatory! I went to do a quick job for the boss because the customer was there to pick it up. Easy job I had a million time drill four holes. Well the drill bit grabbed snapped and a piece severed the optic nerve in my dominant eye. Now I am one eye doc…just saying