• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Large or small semi...

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
I've been toying with the idea of a "long range" semi-auto, but I'll be honest--not feeling the need to drop serious coin on a GAP or JP to get a 6.5 "done right" Thought maybe I'd do seekins or build my own (which I will most certainly F up). But since this build is mainly for PRS style 1000 yards in-- Is a 223 (aka small frame) a better choice, just suck up the inferior ballistics and spend the extra cash on range time, hookers, reloading supplies, and blow.

I've already got a bunch of long range bolt guns, so if I need the LR itch, I can scratch that with those--but a precision semi-auto, whats the thinking on a small frame 223 or similar if my limit is basically 1k distance. I was even thinking of grabbling my original 20in HBAR and slapping it onto an upper as a stopgap while waiting for a quality barrel.

I would just build an upper for my DPMS, but DPMS uppers+parts compatibility is a PITA--everyone "claims" compatibility, just like everyone "claims" a lot of shit, but in reality, I'd rather have a DPMS upper on my DPMS lower because (A) mine works and (B) the rule of large ARs is match your uppers and lowers (C) DPMS isn't selling DPMS uppers, so is what random interwebs guy selling really DPMS or just "compatible".

I think I just set the record for typing DPMS repeatedly....

I've been toying with the idea of a "long range" semi-auto, but I'll be honest--not feeling the need to drop serious coin on a GAP or JP to get a 6.5 "done right" Thought maybe I'd do seekins or build my own (which I will most certainly F up). But since this build is mainly for PRS style 1000 yards in-- Is a 223 (aka small frame) a better choice, just suck up the inferior ballistics and spend the extra cash on range time, hookers, reloading supplies, and blow.

I've already got a bunch of long range bolt guns, so if I need the LR itch, I can scratch that with those--but a precision semi-auto, whats the thinking on a small frame 223 or similar if my limit is basically 1k distance. I was even thinking of grabbling my original 20in HBAR and slapping it onto an upper as a stopgap while waiting for a quality barrel.

I would just build an upper for my DPMS, but DPMS uppers+parts compatibility is a PITA--everyone "claims" compatibility, just like everyone "claims" a lot of shit, but in reality, I'd rather have a DPMS upper on my DPMS lower because (A) mine works and (B) the rule of large ARs is match your uppers and lowers (C) DPMS isn't selling DPMS uppers, so is what random interwebs guy selling really DPMS or just "compatible".

Substitute "Panther Arms" here and there for better grammar scores..... :)
I have a DD Mk 12 factory gun that I got on a trade that I have shot at 617 yards. Shooting at a 66% IPSC and I got bored after30-40 rounds. Full disclosure it wasn't very windy that day; also this was late last fall and haven't tried it further than 617 yds. ( Our 600 yd line plus 17 yds for my steel back on the berm.) I was shooting Hornady Black 75 gr. BTHP "Match". I have since acquired some IMI 77 gr. SMK stuff that i also expect to perform well. I fear 1000 yds is going to be a little less successful, but we'll see.

I wanted a longer range gun for a really long time but I never bit the bullet and went through with it simply because AR10 pattern rifles don't really have a standard. I haven't yet dipped my toes into the bolt game yet (but it's on the way) so I waited.

Then along came the 6 ARC. After a lot of the dust settled I built one and never regretted it for one second. It has easily beyond 1K capabilities and 98% of all my other parts can be used interchangeably.

By 'no standard' I mean this:

Reactions: DocRDS and JFR
Don't even get me started. I got the DPMS before everyone else got in the game. Remington going bankrupt really killed it. While I know that Panther has a rather low reputation, it did what it was supposed to do--went bang and made holes close together. Problem is these rifles like to "multiply" and my brilliant thinking at the time was I could expand as DPMS had been around 20 years and I could just build more uppers.

best laid plans...

The 6 ARC is just a new upper for the AR-15 though right?

If you’re having to talk yourself into a large frame, skip it. Go with a Grendel.

If you do decide to get a large frame, get a factory rifle from a mfg with a track record of building accurate, reliable large frames. The used market is your friend. If you’re patient, you can get a good used gun in the $2000-$2500 range.

Reactions: hlee and Gasgun
I’d look real hard at a 6 arc for what you want to do. Large frame guns can be satisfying but they can make you pull your hair out too. 6 arc seems like an easy button so far, most consistent and easy accuracy I’ve had from any gas gun.

Reactions: drewthebrave
Don't even get me started. I got the DPMS before everyone else got in the game. Remington going bankrupt really killed it. While I know that Panther has a rather low reputation, it did what it was supposed to do--went bang and made holes close together. Problem is these rifles like to "multiply" and my brilliant thinking at the time was I could expand as DPMS had been around 20 years and I could just build more uppers.

best laid plans...

The 6 ARC is just a new upper for the AR-15 though right?
Yes, basically. The only things you need are a barrel, a bolt (not the carrier just the bolt), and mags. Everything else is standard.

Substitute "Panther Arms" here and there for better grammar scores..... :)
I have a DD Mk 12 factory gun that I got on a trade that I have shot at 617 yards. Shooting at a 66% IPSC and I got bored after30-40 rounds. Full disclosure it wasn't very windy that day; also this was late last fall and haven't tried it further than 617 yds. ( Our 600 yd line plus 17 yds for my steel back on the berm.) I was shooting Hornady Black 75 gr. BTHP "Match". I have since acquired some IMI 77 gr. SMK stuff that i also expect to perform well. I fear 1000 yds is going to be a little less successful, but we'll see.
I shoot IMI 77 grain matchkings in a 18 inch 5.56 gas gun out to 700 yds in matches . It's running out of gas pretty quick at that range velocity is running right at 2670 fps at the muzzle according to my magneto speed V3 .

Reactions: BCP
A large frame gasser ain‘t hard to build. At least not for me, and I’m not the smartest guy here.

That said, define your wants and needs, pick a caliber from that criteria, and then let that guide your decision.

How is the availability of 6 ARC brass?
I bought a bunch of Grendel brass from Starline that I will convert as needed. It's enough to last me for a long time for sure. 6 ARC was released right in the middle of a mass shortage of everything so a lot of manufacturers didn't adopt it immediately.

For plinking, 6arc is solid to 1000. If you want to score points on the clock at 1000, you might get a little frustrated with 6 arc. Unless you really hotrod it, you cant really get the heavy for cal bullets up to speed.

Small frame also seems to suffer from poi shifts from different positions more than a large frame. No idea why, but that is the general trend from my rifles.

My suggestion would be to build a large frame in some creedmoor variant.

Do you know where you'll be competing primarily? If you've got any amount of wind, and with regards to a gas gun, I wouldn't encourage a long distance .223 for anything other than practice. The mag length restriction on bullet seating makes the higher-BC .224 projectiles relatively moot.

I am a huge fan of .223, so I don't say the above lightly. I have competed with a couple of fellows who crushed some competitions running .223's out of bolt rifles, because they don't have the mag length restriction that gas guns do.

Upper Midwest. Locally should be fine. If I git gud and head farther west it may be an issue out on the plains.