• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Large padded shooting mat??

cox308

BAMF
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2011
United States, Hawaii
Howzit

I'm in the market for a shooting mat. Must be padded and I'd like to be 36" wide. Will be used in the field as well as on concrete/asphalt.
Has a anyone any experience with the US Peecekeeper mat?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2UPKP20300-1.html

I was going to either get this one or the Midwayusa one. Midway is a major rip on the shipping for an item of this size though.

Any thoughts or other suggestions??

Re: Large padded shooting mat??

$85 for a mat seems, uh... a bit high. I use a padded bed roll I got from the camping section at Walmart. Cost about $10. It's not 36" wide (I think it's about 24") but it works just fine. Lightweight and handy because you can roll it up. And the padding cushions the rocky Arizona desert landscape pretty good.

Yeah. $85 is actually not bad. Midwayusa's one is $100 and the Blackhawk is $130+. That dosent even include shipping. I dont mind paying for a quality item that will last many years.

I highly recomend going to an Army surplus store and getting a military sleeping roll, we called them puss pads in the Marine Corps. They are normaly 24" but if you look around you can find them in 36" widths and they are 6' long. I have shot in all conditions and have no complaints. They are warm in the winter, waterproof and do a great job of taking the bite out of rocks and stumps. I shoot mine in the winter in Maine on solid ice with temps below zero. I have also shot it in mudy fields and was able to stay cleen and dry. The only complaint is when I shoot in heavy rain water tends to puddel up but you would get that with any mat.

My wife got me the midwayusa one for Christmas. She caught it on sale for $25 and shipping wasn't too bad. Its a nice pad, but surely chicomm. I wouldn't be willing to spend $100 for it though.

I use a padded bed roll as well. Definitely a cheap and easy setup that's extremely light. I was hoping to get a nice mat someday but it's toward the bottom of my list.

The midway goes on sale around holidays for about $29 and the midway pro mat usually sales for around $49.

I have the pro and its hard to beat.

I bought the midway pro mat when it was on sale. To be honest it is a little to big for my needs but very nice for what I paid for it. I have learned to never buy midway stuff until you have a discount code or it goes on sale so you can offset the price of shipping.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will check out some Military surplus stores.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captain zeke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The mat you are looking for is a cross tac mat padded and 36" wide </div></div>

that looks like the cats ass!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The midway goes on sale around holidays for about $29 and the midway pro mat usually sales for around $49.

I have the pro and its hard to beat. </div></div>

My co-worker has the Midwayusa Pro. He go it during xmas time for half price ($49). Problem is we live in Hawaii. Shipping was $50!! I must admit it is a really nice mat. I wish Triad or Red Tac would make a mat like that. I'd rather spend my money with them.

Here's my take on this topic. I am also in the market for a padded shooting mat. I would like a big one that either rolls up or will hold a rifle inside. I know that blackhawk and eagle have them. I also like midways. I want one made in America by Americans and none of the above fall into that category.

I am not paying premium prices for sweatshop crap. I know that there are some few American makers for this product, but they are way over priced for what you get. It should not cost $100.00 to produce a quality padded mat and cover costs and profit.

Sorry, with that being said if you have to pay premium prices you should insist on American made and a lifetime warranty.

Hey LA. The Cross Tac is made in the USA. It's a $150 though!

I Iike the folding style better than the rolled up version because I unrolled a Blackhawk at my local gun shop and it just wanted to roll back up on itself. It wouldn't lay flat.

I think $100 would be a fair price for a American well made mat

Longarm, take a look at Grand river tactical, no t cheap but top quality, Cox380 tactical tailor makes a pretty decent mat, but again it isn't cheap but it is quality.

Grand River Tactical? Are you serious!! BEFORE anyone buys from this scum, check out this thread (http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2688323)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Longarm, take a look at Grand river tactical, no t cheap but top quality, Cox380 tactical tailor makes a pretty decent mat, but again it isn't cheap but it is quality. </div></div>

Went to camping supply store and bought a self inflating mat for a rifle course I took. Rolls up in the end. Without weight on it, think it was 2" thick. If you wanted more firmness, you could blow it up more.

One problem I found with the self-inflating mats from the camping store.

We shoot primarily in a field. Depending on the time of year, it can have small vegetation that may have been recently mowed.

It took 1 trip to punch holes in both mats we used. We didn't set it on cactus or anything--just small vegetation was enough to ruin both mats.

YMMV

Parker

Jackalope, unaware of Nicks growing problems, got my gear from him when he was starting off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Max Owner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went to camping supply store and bought a self inflating mat for a rifle course I took. Rolls up in the end. Without weight on it, think it was 2" thick. If you wanted more firmness, you could blow it up more. </div></div>

Thanks for the advise but I'm not looking for some kind of alternative to buying a shooting mat. I am using a blue heavy cargo blanket for now and it works pretty well but I'm looking to invest in a top end shooting mat that was designed for just that. So far the Tac Cross looks the best

Cox380, have used the Tactical tailor mat, not as wide as the Predator but a good alternative. A lot of folks also like the Tab mat, although its not as cushioned but its handy and lightweight.

Take a look on Amazon or eBay for:

Harbinger 340100 excercise mat.

It can be had for less than $20. It's a closed cell foam, rolls up, is very padded, and isn't too heavy. I have 2 of them and still use them even though I have a couple of the Midway mats. It's a very capable alternative.

Have you looked at the Galati deluxe shooters mat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/Shooting_Mats/

</div></div>

Not much difference in that ^^^ and this except the price of that one is $50 more expensive.

8202af5f.jpg

For those who don't need a puss pad, this is $20 at walmart...exercise machine pad. Foam rubber, will hold up to anything except a f'n cat with sharp claws, and is water proof.

Which is why I like it best........

1-5.jpg

not extrememly large, but usuable and cheap http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/roll-up-shooters-mat.aspx?a=389653

comes with some quick detach tethers to attach to backpacks and such.

a little more searching will get you it under 50.00. has pockets and mole straps for attaching other stuff if you want.

i don't know what name it goes under this week, it used to be voodoo tactical, modgear, and others.

SHOOTING_STATION_SIDE_VIEW.jpg

TURKEYSTAND.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/Shooting_Mats/

</div></div>

Not much difference in that ^^^ and this except the price of that one is $50 more expensive.

8202af5f.jpg
</div></div>

With all due respect, most of Creedmoor's mats are anything but similar to the one you posted. For purpose built SHOOTING mats you will be hard pressed to beat Creedmoor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/Shooting_Mats/

</div></div>

8202af5f.jpg
</div></div>

With all due respect, most of Creedmoor's mats are anything but similar to the one you posted. For purpose built SHOOTING mats you will be hard pressed to beat Creedmoor.</div></div>

"Purpose built" labeling is the only thing that makes that 1/2 jute filled mat $50 more expensive. I can label a turd as a "tactical turd" and sell it for more money, but it's still just a turd at the end of the day. If the mat that I posted was put out by a known shooting sports manufacturer, it'd sell for $59-$79 with absolutely no design changes other than the name printed on it. At best maybe a nylon cover on the top side that you lay on.

Anyway, I didn't say it was the best mat around, but if I had to pick between it for $17.99 and yours for $69.99.......I know which one I'd be laying on the next time I went shooting. It's just a mat to keep me out of mud or water or keep me from girding my elbows on concrete.

I made my own out of the surplus type mats on the bottom, memory foam on top, sewn in sections for drainage, cover in MC. Cost like $40 I believe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shoot 1st</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I made my own out of the surplus type mats on the bottom, memory foam on top, sewn in sections for drainage, cover in MC. Cost like $40 I believe. </div></div>

could u show a pic of this

sure Ill take one this evening. My Civ job is in DOD Surplus, so I may get things at a different price sometimes.