• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Large Rifle Magnum Primers?

JBM_DC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2011
OKC, OK
www.facebook.com
When I read through the Reloading section it is clear the majority use the Fed 215/215M primers and I am curious why? I am currently using WLRM primers in my 338 and the more rounds I chrono the more I am seeing a variance in my loads. I have narrowed this down to either my lot of H1000 or the WLRM Primers I have on hand. I plan on buying a can of RL33 just to try, maybe this will fix everything or maybe not. Though I am curious if anyone has tried just changing primers in their Magnum cartridges and seeing a change in their SD?

Sure it can. You have to just try them and see. It will depend somewhat on what cartridge, and what powder you are using, but sometimes it's just the preference of the individual rifle. Fed 215, WLRM, and CCI 250s are all worth a try to see what works best for your rifle and load.

Federal 215's are known to be the "hottest". They more consistently ignite slower powders that have a large case-fill.

Granted, even in my 338LM I do not see a difference between CCI 250's and Federal 215's. Same with 300WM. (I won't even mention "Match" primers - that's just another round of QA - same formula).

Now in the big-bore category like 408 or 375 CheyTac, a Federal 215 is the only primer that you can really use. CCI 250's will give hang-fires trying to ignite 130g of Retumbo, etc.

there is an article in the net about the difference in primers. and you would be amazed to know the difference in voelicity beween them and the mag primers will surprise you the most.

This is the article.

test was conducted by Laurie holland

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...size-and-more/

some bonus articles:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...ypes-can-alter-load-velocities-and-pressures/

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/12/how-changing-primers-can-affect-velocity-in-the-308-win/

with that being said and all due respect to Laurie holland for his efforts, there are some issues that readers must understand. This has been talked about and beaten down before and Laurie himself has said afterwards there were some flaws that doesn't necessarily discredit the test but nonetheless must be accounted for. YMMV

1: Winchester primers are the hottest and just slightly (test done by flash and report with high speed cameras and photo sensors). One reason offered for this (neither confirmed nor denied by Winchester) is that their primers were made for their ball powder. Needs a bit more kick.

2: all rounds were loaded the same and only primers were changed out. What does that tell you? Don't change primers for load development or after you find your load.
Just like we don't change powder or bullets or cases without verifying, treat primers just as equally important.

3: your buying habits and reloading habits will determine what you choose for primers

some guys hoard a shit ton of primers from all brands, some starve themselves of primers if they don't get what they want *cough* fed 210M.
Just verify your load over chrono and down range data.

What you should take away from the article is do proper load development and don't fuck around with primer selection. When you do load development and want to test primers, it HAS to be done at the beginning stages when you're finding your node.

Start with primer A and find the node (ex 40.0, 40.5, 41.0)
take primer B and do one grain below and above primer A instead of running a full gamut (ex 39.0, 39.5, 40.0, 40.5, 41.0, 41.5, 42.0) you should be able to see if it falls within, before or after primer A. If not extend the grains out another grain +\-.

Sellier & bellot primers are SUPER cheap; they can be had for 20 bucks per 1000 and are very reliable. why no one uses them, I don't know. It's not what the cool guys use I suppose.

Ive used them with great success and they are milder like Laurie stated. "Supposed" to offer better ES/SD if you believe Bryan litz' theory on switching from magnum primers to large rifle for the big calibers.

Sellier & bellot primers are SUPER cheap; they can be had for 20 bucks per 1000 and are very reliable. why no one uses them, I don't know. It's not what the cool guys use I suppose.Ive used them with great success and they are milder like Laurie stated. "Supposed" to offer better ES/SD if you believe Bryan litz' theory on switching from magnum primers to large rifle for the big calibers.
S&B are all I use now. I've found I get better performance from a softer primer that lights the powder reliably vs a hot one. Most of my shooting is with subsonic's, they were the first I used the S&B's in. There was a night an day difference, so I tried them in the .308 & 300wm with better results than all the others I've tried until then. Last I picked up were just over $200.00 delivered for 10K. Now they are 24 a K on the shelf in another state.

From the article the S&B primer's he used were approx 10 years old. They may be of different quality than new production.