• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Large rifle primers in 45 acp

junglejim23

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2008
Santee,California PRK
Ok I have been wanting to load up the last 100 xtp's I have in 45 but I can't find large pistol primers any place. So I am wondering if i could sub large rifle primers and stay safe I will be using titegroup.

Re: Large rifle primers in 45 acp

Never tried it myself. As they are the same diameter (obviously) they are harder than pistol primers and may not light when struck by a pistol firing pin or striker. Additionally, you need to make sure large rifle primers are the same height as large pistol primers in order to avoid a slam fire potential from proud primers.

No chance of finding LP primers in your 20?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halfnutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hold out and get the right stuff. </div></div>

Big +1. Don't do it. Get the right primers.

yeah I am going to hold out and try to find some closest place to buy them in my AO is about 70 miles away next guy out is about 100 and neither have any or any in sight

all I need is 100 and I just cant see paying hasmat if buying less then 5k

You CAN subsititute small rifle primers in place of small pistol primers, but, you need to reduce your load slightly, but, large pistol, and large rifle are NOT interchangeable.

Lg. rifle and lg. pistol will NOT interchange!
DO NOT use sm pistol primers in place of a sm rifle primers. The s/p primers have a "softer" cup and can NOT hold rifle PSI.
Respectfully,
LG

Small rifle primers run in autos with a hammer,Browning & Colt, But in my glock a lot of them are too hard and the firing pin doesn't strike hard enough for ignition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Junglejim23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok I have been wanting to load up the last 100 xtp's I have in 45 but I can't find large pistol primers any place. So I am wondering if i could sub large rifle primers and stay safe I will be using titegroup. </div></div>

I've ran LRP'ers in a 45ACP (1911a1) for years w/o issue,..just work the load up as normal,....internet myth is just that.

I'll give you a hundred You are in my neck of the woods. I know Boulevard is about 50 away from El Cajon but if you can make your way down I will give you some

GUNFIGHTER.....It is NOT a myth.....LR primers ARE "taller" than LP pistol. I Just don't want you to be hurt is all. FWIW: I have been re-loading for over 40 years and want you to "grow-old" is all..........
Respectfully,
LG

According to SAAMI, the depths for small pistol, small rifle, and large pistol primer pockets are .118" to .122", while large rifle primer pocket depths are .128" to .132". Small pistol and small rifle primers have the same diameter (.175") while large rifle and large pistol primers are also the same (.210").

Also, Speer recommends primers be seated .003" to .005" below flush.

We did it all the time when the IPSC power factor was higher. Since they reduced it there is no need to do it. The only problem I had was with a Glock not hitting hard enough to reliably light them. A 1911 will work fine with WLR.

Now I see what is wrong with this country, everyone takes what they read or told as 100% fact.

Heres some facts from a 62 yr old, 45 year reloader, the difference between all the LPP an LRP'ers I have ever checked has been 0.007 max height diff.

Brass pockets, depending on mfg. are all over the place from +0.010 to -0.005

Now I don't care what the primer or the pocket is, as long as the primer is -0.002 below the case base to for stall a slam fire. Which by the way I have never had, except when I was trying to get one, in testing.

If I am putting 15 to 75K PSI infront of my face I am not going to trust anyone but myself when it comes time to pull the trigger. Books an other printed "Facts" are for those that are just starting out in whatever field they want to learn in.

I would guess everyone here, knows something a book told them that is not 100% true.

Remember if you throw a rock into a pond, the fact is the level of the pond rises. Now you may not be able to see it but it does rise.
Then again if the evap rate is greater than the displacement of the rock, does the pond rise? The field I work in (Power Generation) is full of book "Facts" that I can, an have proved wrong over an over. With many of those "Facts" having put money into my pocket after being proved wrong.
FWIW,...YMMV

Good points, Gunfighter. Most people also believe water conducts electricity.

Everything conducts electrity just depends on how much you put through it.
smile.gif

Pure 100% H20 has a resistance of about 4 GigaOhm (4,000,000) per square (that is laboratory grade H20 with no impurities at all made from burning H2 and O2 in a closed enviroment and allowing the heat to escape).
Blood has a resistance of 550 Ohms per square
Sea water closer to 200 Ohms per square

ahh shit no I have to read about electricity in my fun time to guy's I am an electrician by trade been at it for a wile now like the mechanic said everything is a conductor just depends on how much current/voltage is applied ever wonder why the power line over head are spaced the way they are ? air can be a conductor as well

and yes it is the impurities in water that make it a better conductor

remember it is not the volts that's going to kill you it's the amps

as for me I am not going to chance it with the large rifle in the 45 acp just not worth it to me.

i like what gunfighter said, in my attempt to consolidate i have pretty much eliminated lp primers, i watched a buddy put 500 rds together on my press and then go out and shoot them up w/ no issue's, i tried them in my pistol w/ out issue. instead of having 5 or 6 different primers in the cabinet, i am now down to just a few. as long as my 45acp goes bang safely that is all that i really care, it only really serves one purpose for me.

i have also got down to just two rifle calibers, .22 and .308, kinda keeps things allot simpler at the bench. there was a day when i had .20, .223, 6mm, 6.5, 7mm, .308, .338. kinda crazy trying to keep it all sorted out.