• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Large scopes.

Valken

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2005
USA
Since a lot of us shoot .308. Why the the need for something more than 10x power. I notice we seem to like really large scopes with power that seems to much for me. Also as a side note I notice scopes seem to get bigger with 34mm bodies and even 35mm bodies. Is it all necessary or just wants.

Re: Large scopes.

Have you ever looked for a 1MOA or smaller target outside of 500 yards with a scope of less than 10 power?

If yes, you must have eagle eyes or something. I have tried with various weaker scopes and I know it just does not work. I recently made hits on a 1.5 MOA target at 1300 yards with my .308, and I know the 22x on my scope was necessary just to see it.

I was forced to use a 10x fixed scope to engage targets out past 1000 meters. It is able to do the job but it is not the best tool for the job as the zoom is not enough to see things very distinctly. Also, a 10x fixed scope isn't much good for shooting moving targets closer in than 400 meters or for having much situational awareness.

Hence why I use more magnification on my larger rifles as well as variable power.

If I had a .223 though 10x is the most magnification I would put on that rifle as it doesn't have the range of the .308 and therefore doesn't need as much magnification.

IMHO 34mm and 35mm tubes aren't necessary on .308 rifles or rifles with calibers of similar effective range as the .308 round. They are more suited for longer distance calibers where you need the extra space for the erector assembly in order to dial more elevation to compensate for more bullet drop at longer ranges.

I use a 10x40 on my 223 and a 8x25 on my 308 mainly because it did not cost anymore and I dont need a spotting scope LOL

+1 to what McCrazy said.

My new AR is getting a USO Fixed 10.

308 has a 5.5-22 on it with a 30mm tube. Works well, dont need any more than that for me. Rarely go above 12x on it, but nice to have more.

i agree with srtaman. i have the uso 3.8-22x44 and out to 300 yards i have no need for a spotting scope

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a reason that the Marine Corps no longer uses fixed 10x scopes. </div></div>

And to think... It only took 30 years.
crazy.gif

Go a variable power scope that runs low but can reach up around 15x me thinks. The wider FOV is priceless for movers as Mc said.

I thought a fixed 20x was enough for me until I tried shooting groups on paper at 500+ yards. I was left wishing for way more power!

I would like to see which reticles you all favor also.

Man vari's 10 plus starting out with a demanding lead. I prefer the MIL Reticles (Mil line, I'm over the Mildot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to see which reticles you all favor also. </div></div>

It depends if you're using MIL or MOA.. I have the Leupold TMR in my scope and really like it, clean, tidy and alot of different measuring points. The Nightforce MLR is also a good option.

Others have given good info on the magnification portion of your question, so I'll give my oppinion on the 34/35mm tube. The only company that gives you a choice is USO, and I happen to think USO's look very anorexic with a 30mm tube. So i have one with 35mm. Then again, mine is going on a 7WSM with a 28" tube, so I'll take all the reticle travel I can get.

My long range 308 carries the 3.8X22 USO. But my new 22" 308 hunting rifle has a 2X7X32. All I need out to 200 for minute of deer.
YMMV-Rob