• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Large variance in Federal SPP 45 acp brass weight

va_connoisseur

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2018
I was loading some 45 acp brass and decided to weigh a few just to ensure the AP was not overthrowing powder. When I noticed several bullets were over 7 grains difference. Thinking I had double charged the rounds, I broke down 10 rounds (5 "high" and 5 "low"). The bullets and powder was all within 0.1 grains. The difference came from the brass.

The 5 low brass averaged 8.1 grains less than they 5 high brass. (I can get the exact number but I left my logbook back in the load room.) All the brass was once fired Federal Small Pistol Primers cases. So I have a whole host of questions:
  • Is this dangerous? (All the rounds have the correct powder charge, 9.2 grains)
  • How will this effect performance?
  • Is this a sign that the brass is weak and dangerous?

No.
It won’t, with pistols it’s all about your shooting ability which drastically outweighs things like this.
I doubt it.

The number one thing you can do to be a better pistol shooter is dryfire, not worrying about stuff like this.

Reactions: Fig
I was loading some 45 acp brass and decided to weigh a few just to ensure the AP was not overthrowing powder. When I noticed several bullets were over 7 grains difference. Thinking I had double charged the rounds, I broke down 10 rounds (5 "high" and 5 "low"). The bullets and powder was all within 0.1 grains. The difference came from the brass.

The 5 low brass averaged 8.1 grains less than they 5 high brass. (I can get the exact number but I left my logbook back in the load room.) All the brass was once fired Federal Small Pistol Primers cases. So I have a whole host of questions:
  • Is this dangerous? (All the rounds have the correct powder charge, 9.2 grains)
  • How will this effect performance?
  • Is this a sign that the brass is weak and dangerous?

Weak and dangerous?

Maybe if it was made in China. FC is good brass. I would weight sort it if I had a ton of it, otherwise I wouldn’t worry about it and just use it for plinking.