• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Large Washer Behind Muzzle Brake?

stanley_white

If it ain’t broke, you can’t resist.
Minuteman
  • Feb 24, 2008
    Washington D.C. Metro Area
    I have seen posted (theorized?) that the bulge on the rear of the Strike Without Warning muzzle brake diverts the gas away from the shooter after the gas leaves the muzzle brake.

I am wondering if anyone has tried to mount a large, like maybe 2”-3” wide washer behind their muzzle brake to achieve the same effect?

This likely falls into the category of me thinking too much but I suspect I am not the first one to ponder this.

-Stan

I have seen posted (theorized?) that the bulge on the rear of the Strike Without Warning muzzle brake diverts the gas away from the shooter after the gas leaves the muzzle brake.

I am wondering if anyone has tried to mount a large, like maybe 2”-3” wide washer behind their muzzle brake to achieve the same effect?

This likely falls into the category of me thinking too much but I suspect I am not the first one to ponder this.

-Stan
    Absolutely. In fact some have been known to mount several washers, each in a sort of conical shape, behind their brake. Makes a huge difference in blast to the shooter and those around him.
    Here's a rather well-finished production version:

iu

I'm willing to test the effects of this, but am deeply pessimistic that it will produce any results. The shock wave created by muzzle blast can be thought of as a bubble that expands from the muzzle, and a small washer is unlikely to disturb this substantially by the time the wavefront reaches the shooter's ear.

I'm willing to test the effects of this, but am deeply pessimistic that it will produce any results. The shock wave created by muzzle blast can be thought of as a bubble that expands from the muzzle, and a small washer is unlikely to disturb this substantially by the time the wavefront reaches the shooter's ear.

I agree.

Muzzle brakes are great at reducing recoil, very poor for concussion. I don't think there's much you can do to mitigate concussion on a brake beyond a marginal amount.

Suppressors are the best tool to mitigate concussion. I use suppressors more for the concussion mitigation than the dB reduction.