• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Largemouth Bass

kentactic

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2010
Southern, CA
What are you guys catching them on lately? perferably near CA. right now my go to setup is a gary yamamoto 5" senko thin worm wacky rigged.

what say you?

Re: Largemouth Bass

Everyone has been wacky rigging for last ten years. Works some times and others not best answer.

My go to rig is what ever is working that day.

I think of my 20' Skeeter as a large tacklebox

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone has been wacky rigging for last ten years. Works some times and others not best answer.

My go to rig is what ever is working that day.

I think of my 20' Skeeter as a large tacklebox </div></div>

so you show up and already know whats going to work before you cast a single time? i didnt think so... im asking whats working well lately for you... and you MUST have a handfull of lures youll throw first right now.

also i was told that wacky rigging was invented yesterday.. i guess they lied to me.

well i did some night fishing last night on a secret little pond we found. pretty much the most amazing fishing ive ever enjoyed. the smallest bass on my line was maybe a 3.5lb and i caught about 5-6 standing in one spot. that good ole gary yamamoto wacky rigged does it again.

I am going to ignore your comments and try to help.

I fish the Delta a bunch. We have been wacky rigging for over ten years up here. Between just fishing for fun, tournements and guiding I have been fishing that water since the late 1970s. Here is one thing to learn of fishing Nothing really new has come along.

What I am going to throw depends on a few things:
Water temp
clarlity
wind
tide
time of year
What fish have been doing.
Time of day.
light conditions

Now wacky rigging works fairly well but is really a way for when condidtions are a bit tough, as there are better ways to catch fish when they are active.

Up here we have had some weird weather patterns so no right answer for day in and day out. One day the crank bait will kill and next it wont get hit at all.

Drop shot will work most times but this is also a thing for when fish are less active.

But as things go a day would usually start out here, with weather as it has been, like such:
1. Start with top water baits. If no wind go with quiet types. If wind is blowing go with buzz type baits or poppers, Poopers are a slower approach when there is light wind and faster baits dont get results.

2. As the light comes up change to crank type baits and pick one that gets to depth the fish are at.

3. As day goes on you will need to change to the slower worm and jig type baits.

4. Later in day you will find them again on cranks and top waters.

Now thats for spring summer and early fall. Winter dumps the top waters and limits the use of the cranks. Colder water slower baits

Thats a basic plan for a fishing day/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am going to ignore your comments and try to help.

I fish the Delta a bunch. We have been wacky rigging for over ten years up here. Between just fishing for fun, tournements and guiding I have been fishing that water since the late 1970s. Here is one thing to learn of fishing Nothing really new has come along.

What I am going to throw depends on a few things:
Water temp
clarlity
wind
tide
time of year
What fish have been doing.
Time of day.
light conditions

Now wacky rigging works fairly well but is really a way for when condidtions are a bit tough, as there are better ways to catch fish when they are active.

Up here we have had some weird weather patterns so no right answer for day in and day out. One day the crank bait will kill and next it wont get hit at all.

Drop shot will work most times but this is also a thing for when fish are less active.

But as things go a day would usually start out here, with weather as it has been, like such:
1. Start with top water baits. If no wind go with quiet types. If wind is blowing go with buzz type baits or poppers, Poopers are a slower approach when there is light wind and faster baits dont get results.

2. As the light comes up change to crank type baits and pick one that gets to depth the fish are at.

3. As day goes on you will need to change to the slower worm and jig type baits.

4. Later in day you will find them again on cranks and top waters.

Now thats for spring summer and early fall. Winter dumps the top waters and limits the use of the cranks. Colder water slower baits

Thats a basic plan for a fishing day/

</div></div>

gotcha thanks for the info.

i think wacky rigging has been around longer then 10 years. i think i heard gary yamamoto won some big tournament in 1995 wacky rigging so thats atleast 16 years.

but im what you would call a shitty fisherman. i pretty much go to the bait store and ask them whats working at what ever specific water im fishing. and they usually get me in the fish. lately ive only had to bring the watermelon with black flake senko worm and a few hooks and i catch fish all day and night.

im not into fishing enough to spend alot of money on lures so i look for a catch all lure. something that works pretty good most of the time. and lately its been the wacky rig.

I love the largemouth bass. One of my favorite fish. Especially blackened in Paul Prudhomme's
smile.gif