• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Larry Vickers shoots Glock????

Re: Larry Vickers shoots Glock????

He also has essentially the same information posted in the FAQs on his website.

"1. What pistol do you typically use in your classes?

I like to use whatever is the most common pistol in that particular class. Sometimes that is hard to figure out in advance but it most often means I am using a Glock – what I call the universal service pistol. I am a big fan of both the G17 and G19 in 9mm and that is what I use. At times i will use a 1911 if requested to do so or if it is a 1911 operator class. However i do at times get bored and want to shoot something different so I will bring a pistol like the HK P30. I feel the instructor should be shooting a handgun the students can relate to with only custom modifications that make sense, not a tricked out race gun that no one would carry into harms way. Seen that movie from some IPSC shooting instructors years ago and it was unprofessional then, and still is."

Something some die hard 1911 shooters can't seem to come to grips with. The 1911 is just far more demanding in terms of setup as well as regular and preventative maintenance. It requires the user to be a part time armorer.

Popular quote I picked up from Larry, don't know if he's first to say it of if it came from someone else.

"If you treat your handgun like you treat your lawnmower, buy a Glock."

He also calls his 1911 builders class a Glock appreciation class.

lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Popular quote I picked up from Larry, don't know if he's first to say it of if it came from someone else.

"If you treat your handgun like you treat your lawnmower, buy a Glock." </div></div>

In watching Larry's shows over the years I noticed he seems to change rifle recommendations with employment or sponsorship. HK, Daniel Defense, etc.
In regards to his pistol....I love my 1911's but he is 100% right. I hate Glocks and my HK USP hasn't been shot in 2-3 yrs, but if I was stranded long term with with no tools...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In watching Larry's shows over the years I noticed he seems to change rifle recommendations with employment or sponsorship. HK, Daniel Defense, etc.
In regards to his pistol....I love my 1911's but he is 100% right. I hate Glocks and my HK USP hasn't been shot in 2-3 yrs, but if I was stranded long term with with no tools...</div></div>

Don't agree with that.

When I trained with him (after he was done with HK) he still extolled the accuracy advantage the P30 has over the Glock. We did this from about 130 meters back from a target, shooting it with pistols, while Larry shot with a Glock.

IMG_0734.jpg

If you asked him during his time with HK if you needed a 416, he would tell you to stick with a DI gun unless you are running short and suppressed.

Currently, he's with Daniel Defense, and has gone on the record advising that he believes piston systems are the way of the future.

Larry tells you how it is, pretty consistently.

Of course no disrespect meant by my observation. Larry has obviously walked the walk and is very knowledgeable. That is how it struck me. He promotes who he is with and the average watcher isn't privy to his opinion vs what he is using on a TV program. If somebody was paying me to shoot a decent gun I would shoot it too.

If there's anything I'd say that I know about LAV from the days I've spent learning from him on the range and many email correspondences, it's that he won't bullshit anyone on a piece of kit's shortfalls or strong points, even TV viewers. If you've observed his preferences/recommendations change over the years, the only explanation for it is that either the product has changed and thus his opinion of it, or that he's obtained some new piece of information leading him to recommend for/against the product and perhaps towards another.

Ken Hackathorn told me that Larry's the guy through which Glock came to be used by US SOF personnel.

ggmanning never said that Larry was promoting a product he didn't believe in, but I think some may read his comment and read that message into it.

Absolutely and thanks for making that distinction. Written word often implies incorrectly. That is why I made sure go back and say no disrespect to Larry after Jim's response......not my intention.

I have taken several classes with Larry and as other instructors usually shoot what most of their students carry. Easier to explain methods to something you can relate to instead of trying to use different weapon platforms.

Seen him shoot his 9mm and .45 1911s and different pistols. Glocks, M&P and the HK he helped design.

Cut

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucksthename</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doesnt Larry also make parts for glocks?</div></div>

He has designed some upgrades for Glocks through TangoDown.