• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Larue 260 reloading help

cb4128

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2014
I'm trying to get to a good starting point on load development for my Larue .260 AR. I've done a bunch of research on here and come up with several popular loads that other guys are using in their 260 bolt actions - my question is, the posted max charges in 3 different reloading manuals and the data provided by Berger are all 2 grains lower than several of the most popular 260 loads I've seen with H4350.

So, here's what I have for min/max charges from manuals:

Using Berger 130gr Hybrids
CCI BR2 primers (or Federal 210M)
New Starline Brass

H4350:
- min charge 37.5gr
- max charge 41.8gr

(avg of the info provided by Hornady Reloading manual, Lee reloading manual, Nosler Reloading Manual and load data provided by Berger over the phone)

***Several proven loads I've found are closer to 43.5, 43.8, 44.0, 44.5gr

I UNDERSTAND YOU HAVE TO WORK UP to these "proven loads" in other guns, but I'm trying to not load up 50 rounds for load development (5 rounds, going up .5 gr increments from min to max)

Any tips on if I can start closer to max, say 40.0gr and work up?

Not trying to run a max load, but if I could get somewhere around 2,800 fps in a 22" barrel, I would be very happy

Thanks for the help!

Hey dude, congrats on a great rifle and great caliber. The H4350 seems to be the powder of choice around here, but I swear, don't rule out Varget. I have done extensive tests on my 260 Bolt gun, and have yet to find anything beat Varget. It is especially good with the lighter bullets, but mine is sub-half MOA with Varget and 139 Scenars. I am not a sub-moa shooter with any consistency, but it'll do it.

Check here for Dan Newberry's OCW. It is what a lot around here use to find a load. I would also recommend at least getting 200 yards minimum to do the test. Stay Safe!

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

those seem a tad bit low in charges. I am running 45.1 grs of H4350 with the 143 ELD-X

For what its worth Larue ships prime with the .260 predatobrs that they promote through some shooting schools.

DrewC; should I stay closer to the posted numbers for the loads? Guessing the extra pressure is dangerous in a gas gun?

And thanks for the input guys!

Will be shooting at 200yds and have several lbs of h4350 on hand already, so I’m going to start with that powder

Do a load work up of course starting around 40.0 and go up to 42.0. I’d bet you’ll find a good load in the area of the low 41’s.

*Update, did a partial load development and had good luck with 41.0gr of H4350 - 3 shots into about .40" at 100 yds - that's outside to outside, so talking around a .136" group at 100 yards with an AR!

Pretty excited about the potential - although I know it's pretty slow right now, probably going to keep working up to see if there's another node 1-1.5 more grains up