• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LaRue Big Bore Match Grade Uppers

the monk

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 17, 2018
    LaRue just sent out an email with their Match Grade Uppers in stock and is having a Valentine's Day Upper-Grade Sale with both the 18" 308 and 22" 6.5 uppers for $1600.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these? I have an SR25 and was thinking of picking up the 22" 6.5 to play around with on my SR lower. Just gauging if it's a total waste of money.

Those look like the uppers he used to sell as his 308 build kits for 1300 each complete with trigger, LPK, stock, etc. Here is a thread on ARFCom about them back in 2017 when they first came out:

Reactions: BurtG
    Does anyone have any thoughts on these? I have an SR25 and was thinking of picking up the 22" 6.5 to play around with on my SR lower. Just gauging if it's a total waste of money.
    Well you’d be $4500 in the hole if you could find a KAC SR25 6.5CM upper for retail so why not? What’s the worst that could happen.

I jusr odered the 308 upper. The pricing is a little thick, but it is what it is. Dude on the phone said it is a stealth profile with a .750 gas block. I forgot to ask about the 1:8 twist as advertised on the website. I did ask if it would be years or weeks for delivery. He said weeks. We'll see.

I would probably do 6.5 and if the barrel is worth anything turn it down to 18". I am only really interested because of the upper fitment with the SR25. If the barrel sucks I guess I could unf**k it and put a proof barrel on it.

Got the 22” 6.5 cm uu kit back in 2017. With 140 Gr Hornady bthp and RL16 mine shoots well. Also have a Stealth upper in .223 that shoots good
    Good luck

Got the 22” 6.5 cm uu kit back in 2017. With 140 Gr Hornady bthp and RL16 mine shoots well. Also have a Stealth upper in .223 that shoots good
    Good luck
    What's the definition of "shoots well"?

From what i understand it was larue vs lmt and then the army or whatever decided to start all over again.
    LMT and Larue were shipping MRGG-S as recently as Q4 last year so news to me, but I’m not a ridiculous contract nerd.

I would probably do 6.5 and if the barrel is worth anything turn it down to 18". I am only really interested because of the upper fitment with the SR25. If the barrel sucks I guess I could unf**k it and put a proof barrel on it.
    If the 22" is running a +2 gas system which it looks like it is due to the handguard length you can't cut it to 18" the gas system will be too long.

As mentioned before when it was offered as a complete kit except the lower for $1,300 it was a pretty decent deal for a mediocre setup, but now at 1,600+ for just the upper makes it a Hard Pass especially since the last ones he sold had a very sloppy upper/ lower fit and barely squeaked under MOA.

Save another $800 and just buy a SP10 or wait or pick up a used one in the PX I'm sure there'll be plenty.

As mentioned before when it was offered as a complete kit except the lower for $1,300 it was a pretty decent deal for a mediocre setup, but now at 1,600+ for just the upper makes it a Hard Pass especially since the last ones he sold had a very sloppy upper/ lower fit and barely squeaked under MOA.

Save another $800 and just buy a SP10 or wait or pick up a used one in the PX I'm sure there'll be plenty.

My larue predatar was neat but not neat enough to keep. Wouldn't mind an older OBR 16" 308 but not worth the 3500-4500 they are asking for new ones.

My larue predatar was neat but not neat enough to keep. Wouldn't mind an older OBR 16" 308 but not worth the 3500-4500 they are asking for new ones.
    The tOBR is neat but I’ll buy just a KAC upper (smite your face blah blah) before I spend >$4K on an unoptimized Larue.

Now that I've unfucked mine and made it to represent what a $4,000+ rifle should be it's now a respectable setup. 18" CLE 6.5CM Bartlein / Ambi Controls / TriggerTech AR10 Diamond / Rifle length Gas with switch lever Adjustable Gas Block.... She shoots!

Getting close to finishing up the review and range report on her that I'll be posting.
    IMG_20221013_093001038.jpg

IMG_20230118_143845492~2.jpg

IMG_20230204_132350514~2.jpg
    IMG_20230204_125906745.jpg

IMG_20230204_125856568.jpg

LaRue just sent out an email with their Match Grade Uppers in stock and is having a Valentine's Day Upper-Grade Sale with both the 18" 308 and 22" 6.5 uppers for $1600.

I though i heard somewhere that LT large frame uppers did not pair up perfectly on KAC/LMT lowers. that might not be the case. Just something to look into.

As long they fit, I don't see any reason why not.

If the 22" is running a +2 gas system which it looks like it is due to the handguard length you can't cut it to 18" the gas system will be too long.

Super helpful! Exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

I like LaRue. But for the same price I can get a CLE upper in .308 or 6.5CM with a Krieger barrel. Use a Douglas barrel and I can save a couple of hundred dollars. And I can pick up an Aero Precision stripped lower for less than a LaRue and build out the lower exactly how I want. No real contest for me.

I guess the LaRue's ability to swap out barrels is nice, but not something I really need.

I ordered the 22” 6.5CM and the 16” 308. Mainly bc I had a lower receiver. I’ll compare it to my lmt mars-h, if anyone’s interested.

My Larues have been great. Sub moa to sub half moa.

Built a 16 inch 223W patrol rifle using their lower and match grade upper and a 6.5gr with their mgu and both shoot decent enough.

Reactions: BCP
    I ordered the 22” 6.5CM and the 16” 308. Mainly bc I had a lower receiver. I’ll compare it to my lmt mars-h, if anyone’s interested.

My Larues have been great. Sub moa to sub half moa.

Built a 16 inch 223W patrol rifle using their lower and match grade upper and a 6.5gr with their mgu and both shoot decent enough.
    Same boat. Had the lower already from another unfinished project. Had to sell the UU I had. Picked up the 308. See how long it takes to arrive.

LMT and Larue were shipping MRGG-S as recently as Q4 last year so news to me, but I’m not a ridiculous contract nerd.
    The story I got was that LMT and Larue were part of the initial down select. There was allegedly a bad batch of ammo used so KAC and FN were added after a reshoot.

I don't know if they have updated the requirements from 2021 but the objective requirements for the MRSS-S are pretty hardcore (https://events.sofwerx.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/MRGG-S-Objectives-Statement-23JUN21-002.pdf) and some of them would only work with LMT and LaRue like quick-change barrels within 5 min but they would both need to go on a hard-core diet (under 9lb for a 22in 6.5) and I don't think LaRue could ever deliver the guns in a timely manner nor do I think he makes a .5 moa rifle anymore.

Reactions: Jsp556
    Can’t speak to the actual accuracy of the MCX-Spear, but it was derived from a rifle created for the CSASS program so I would presume that they have looked at accurized variants.

As far as Larue being able to deliver rifles, I don’t think USSOCOM has to wait in line with the rest of us losers to get their stuff. Larue has a lot of business with DOD for stuff, some of it not even firearms related such as torpedo mounts. In regards to accuracy, they made the standard when others didn’t so…. But the MRGG rifles are not anything that is currently offered commercially and I assume they get a little more attention before being loaded on the truck than a 1600 dollar upper.

Reactions: Defender3 and BCP
    The reality is at $1600 you should be able to assemble a Proof barreled upper with a similar sort-of monolithic rail platform like Mega MML or Seekins and a premium BCG, with probably a little change left over too.

Reactions: BurtG and BCP
    I wouldn’t pay $1600 for one of those, if it was closer to a grand, sure. At that price you can pick up a proof SS barrel and assemble with top tier components.

Why does it cost double the price of the AR15 match grade upper that’s being machined in house with basically the same shit but a little smaller? It certainly doesn’t cost twice as much to make.

Reactions: BCP