• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LaRue Complete AR-15 Match Grade Upper or WOA, 3-Gun Upper or their SPR Upper?

Coyotejunki

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I plan on using this as a coyote rifle, shooting out to around 300 yds, would like MOA or better, what do you suggest. prefer 18" barrel, but 16" could work, lighter being a benefit.

Last edited:
build out of the question? That is probably what I would do but if you're set on buying, I'd call Monty/Corrie and pick up a CM4 upper

Reactions: Jdfd556
Wilson combat 18” super sniper barrel. Compass lake engineering was running a special on a 16” Douglas. WOA is always a good choice. Larue was running a accuracy package deal that included a barrel trigger and case for a good price.

Reactions: bfoosh006
I have one of those Larue uppers and it's phenomenal. It's an absolute tack driver and you get an upper with a thick walled billet receiver, excellent rail and mounting design, great build quality, and a hammer of a barrel for an insanely good price.

Reactions: Jsp556 and cbn
I plan on using this as a coyote rifle, shooting out to around 300 yds, would like MOA or better, what do you suggest. prefer 18" barrel, but 16" could work, lighter being a benefit.

You could do that with a basic PSA upper.

All the ones suggested would work fine.

I like the Larue upper with the handguard attached via 4 screws but their barrels are just OK. White Oak barrels are better shooters on average.

but 16" could work, lighter being a benefit.

The Larue barrel is heavier than a Colt HBAR.

Colt 16" HBAR (6721): 2 pounds, 3.4 ounces.

colt_16_inch_hbar_6721_02-1338222.jpg

16" Larue barrel barrel: 2 pounds, 5.7 ounces.

larue_16_inch_stealth_barrel_002-1338227.jpg

I like the Larue upper with the handguard attached via 4 screws but their barrels are just OK. White Oak barrels are better shooters on average.

I’ve had no less than a dozen WOA barrels and not one was more accurate than my Larue. Granted my sample size of this Larue is one I know others who have bought these and have had the same results as me. A buddy of mine has two of their other 5.56 uppers that are older and they also cut little knots.

To say one is more accurate than they other is completely inaccurate.

FWIW I had one WOA SPR barrel that shot like hot garbage. They replaced the barrel but didn’t want to and tried to play the blame game at first suggesting I didn’t know how to assemble an upper. New barrel shot as it should have. I’m sure Larue has put out a dud too though.

Bottom line you end up with an excellent upper either way but no way are you going to assemble or buy a WOA build with an equivalent quality receiver and rail for what you pay for the Larue. The Larue is by far the best bargain in precision uppers and you give up nothing to builds costing twice as much.

I’ve had no less than a dozen WOA barrels and not one was more accurate than my Larue. Granted my sample size of this Larue is one I know others who have bought these and have had the same results as me. A buddy of mine has two of their other 5.56 uppers that are older and they also cut little knots.

To say one is more accurate than they other is completely inaccurate.

FWIW I had one WOA SPR barrel that shot like hot garbage. They replaced the barrel but didn’t want to and tried to play the blame game at first suggesting I didn’t know how to assemble an upper. New barrel shot as it should have. I’m sure Larue has put out a dud too though.

Bottom line you end up with an excellent upper either way but no way are you going to assemble or buy a WOA build with an equivalent quality receiver and rail for what you pay for the Larue. The Larue is by far the best bargain in precision uppers and you give up nothing to builds costing twice as much.
Well, opinions & results vary on just about everything in that post, but I'm glad that you got at least one good shooter from LaRue.

Yes, their uppers are not a bad deal, just very heavy, accurate or not.

MM

Reactions: BCP