• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Larue OBR 18"

Shoots 700's

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2008
Chester, Virginia
I was shooting the Texas Multi Gun a couple of weeks ago and walked the Larue booth one to many times

I ordered an 18" OBR that I will use most shooting 3 gun Heavy Metal optics. I am thinking a 1 x 6 pow optic but might want more when I shoot it out to about 850-900 yards

I would like to hear what others think of their OBR and what optic they are running

Jeff

Re: Larue OBR 18"

My OBR has proved to be the real deal. I went with a 20" barrel and topped her off with a NF 3.5-15X50 mil/mil ZS/HS.

The package will be complete when my TBAC 30-BA hits my hands.

If your on the fence between a Harris or Atlas bipod... Don't hesitate to pull the trigger on the atlas. It's a true piece of art. Loading up a semi will make or break your follow up shots and the atlas loads extremely well in all environments.

My 2 cents.

You did well on the OBR. I am planning to put a Leupy Mark 6 1-6 on my AR10, for the same 3gun classification. The Swaro Z6I seems to be awfully popular, too...but I can't afford it!

You did great, I went with JP LRP-07 and a Swarovski Z-6i scope but was ready to to pull the trigger on a Larue OBR 7.62. The only reason I did not was I am partial to JP Enterprise. You will be happy.

I'm using a NF 5.5-22x56 mil/mil on my 18in OBR. It's a heavy beast but I love it, although for me it gets shot almost exclusively from the bench or ground...not a whole lot offhand. You're probably on the right track about a 1-6x for Heavy Metal, but even with a relatively smaller optic like that its going to be heavy!

I'm running a 16 inch OBR. I don't get the opportunity to shoot past 500 very often, so I went with a NF 2.5-10 NPR2. Am also running dueck defense offset iron sights. I dont feel handicapped at all running this optic for 3 gun.

I have an 18" OBR w/PRS stock and Nightforce 3.5-15, mil/mil, front focal plane. Ordered it when the rifle was first announced and waited over 14 months for delivery.

This rifle is a tack driver, easily shoots 5 shot groups under an inch (w/hand loads). I find my OBR to be more accurate than my Remington 700 bolt guns. At least I shoot it more accurately than the bolt guns.

Fit and finish is great and it has run flawlessly.

I have an 18 inch and LOVE it...

It is topped with a 3.5x15x50 NPR1 NF. Works great.. You will love you new toy....

I have an 18 inch OBR and use it with a S&B 4-16x42. I love mine and find it to be very accurate and 100% reliable.

I've got a 20" OBR w surfire brake, put a PRS stock on it, Ergo grip (the fat one sans palm shelf), put a 3.5-15x50 NSX ZS MLR on it with the free mount it came with. I was running the larue converted harris bipods that have their lever mount built into the bipod. While its a nice design conversion, I picked up one atlas to try out about a month ago- two more came in the mail yesterday. One for every precision gun.

I ordered my OBR 18" a few weeks ago. It should arrive when I return from deployment. Plan on putting a S&B 5X25 on it with a Larue scope mount. I can't wait to get my hands on, nothing but great reviews and our Sniper Plt Sgt. drools at the mouth when talking about his.

i have a couple ar rifles (armalite ar 10 & w. combat ar 15). i am possibly interested in a larue for next purchase. thinking carbine in 556. any suggestions?? pretty accurate? & what does is OBR??

Is theres a big difference overall between predatobr and the obr? The gas system on the obr is different then on the predatobr but is that in itself a big difference?

Heath

Perhaps this thread would fair better with pics...

b8ad07.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M24SWS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is theres a big difference overall between predatobr and the obr? The gas system on the obr is different then on the predatobr but is that in itself a big difference?

Heath </div></div>

Heath, the gas system on the OBR and PredatOBR is the same, all the way down to the Port Selector gas block for suppressed shooting, as is the barrel. Accuracy potential is the same. The biggest difference is that the OBR has 20moa of cant built into the top rail, which makes it great for long range shooting. Beyond that, the forend on the PredatOBR is a bit longer, and one can add rail sections anywhere along it's length - the OBR only accepts rail sections along it's bottom and at 3 and 9 o'clock at the very end of the forend.

Both rifles are fantastic machines. The PredatOBR is configured to be more of a "normal" cofiguration that you can run and gun, but also shoot at distance. There were 3 OBRs on my squad at the recent Larue Multigun, though, and they didn't seem to be at a disadvantage using them for 3gun! :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CitySlicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered my OBR 18" a few weeks ago. It should arrive when I return from deployment. Plan on putting a S&B 5X25 on it with a Larue scope mount. I can't wait to get my hands on, nothing but great reviews and our Sniper Plt Sgt. drools at the mouth when talking about his. </div></div>

I advise highly you look into ADM mounts... or Bobro

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Perhaps this thread would fair better with pics.
29xu7o8.jpg
</div></div>

Certainly is!! And upside-down ones too! WIN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Perhaps this thread would fair better with pics.
29xu7o8.jpg
</div></div>

Certainly is!! And upside-down ones too! WIN </div></div>

Damn iPhone! Fixed it now....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Perhaps this thread would fair better with pics...

b8ad07.jpg
</div></div>

Great taste
cool.gif
How heavy is the 20"?

a6f47c77.jpg

b3bc9ff7.jpg

To the OP, I think you will be very pleased with the 18" OBR. This one drives nails with 175GMM. As far as glass, for how you are running it the 1-6 sounds right, but if you are going out to 800-900, maybe a 1-8 wouldn't hurt...

My 18" OBR is very accurate, around 3/4" is best i can do. Looking at a velocity reticle NIGHTFORCE for future investment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KB5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an 18" OBR w/PRS stock and Nightforce 3.5-15, mil/mil, front focal plane. Ordered it when the rifle was first announced and waited over 14 months for delivery.

<span style="color: #FF0000">This rifle is a tack driver, easily shoots 5 shot groups under an inch (w/hand loads)</span>. I find my OBR to be more accurate than my Remington 700 bolt guns. At least I shoot it more accurately than the bolt guns.

Fit and finish is great and it has run flawlessly.

</div></div>

so under an inch is a tack driver? YIKES ... I would seriously hope that under an inch with hand loads ist the best you can do ... shit I think test targets are under an inch at 50 yards

So are you saying groups such as this are not acceptable or up to your standards? Because my honest overview of the OBR has been a "tack driver".
28ai1z7.jpg

My 18" OBR is as accurate as I could realistically hope for. You will like it if you get one. Mine hovers just at or slightly above 1/2 MOA out to 800 yards so far. The biggest problem when shooting this rifle is me. Others also make accurate large platform ARs, but in my opinion, the OBR's reliability is what really makes it a winner.

Looking at sample target above reasonable est would be 1/2 moa, center to center. Better than many (shooters or weapons) are capable of.

I've had an 18" OBR on order since Feb.

Planning on Nightforce 5.5-22x50 HS ZS MLR with 0.1Rad turrets (C202) which turns out is fairly difficult to find

I notice a lot of you guys have gone with the longer lengths, any big reason not to go with the 16"? That's what I was intending on trying to pick up for my next purchase, I thought the velocity drop wouldn't really make that big of a difference.

I went with the 18" as it was a happy medium. I have a 20" REPR and with a surefire brake on it it is a little too long for my tastes. For the ranges I am planning on I preferred having the 18" barrel.

I too chose the 18" version because it was a happy medium. I think for what I am doing with the gun it will be just fine

I hope I get it sometime in August, but I am sure the wait times are only guesstimates

Whatever works for you I am looking at an OBR in 20" barrel instead of an LMT MWS

I think a 20" barrel is the optimal length for a 308 gas gun or run it out to 27" on a bolt gun

I went with the 18" because if I wanted to add a can, it would still be within my tolerance of barrel length. All of my rifles are within 22" to 24" with the OBR being the shortest in my inventory. Just something that I personally favor.

I have the sit down talk with my bride tonight about getting an OBR and she gives me the go ahead. So I jump on the LaRue website and its down! What gives?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Munson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the sit down talk with my bride tonight about getting an OBR and she gives me the go ahead. So I jump on the LaRue website and its down! What gives?</div></div>

It was fixed this am. Try again.

I have a 7.62 PredatOBR 16" on order but I'm debating switching to the 18". If my goal is to shoot my PredatOBR 1000 yards does the 18" make more sense?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seagrave7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Munson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the sit down talk with my bride tonight about getting an OBR and she gives me the go ahead. So I jump on the LaRue website and its down! What gives?</div></div>

It was fixed this am. Try again.

I have a 7.62 PredatOBR 16" on order but I'm debating switching to the 18". If my goal is to shoot my PredatOBR 1000 yards does the 18" make more sense? </div></div>

A 16" gas gun will get you to 1k.... It's the bullet's B.C that will make or break you at that range.... Rule of thumb is 20 fps lost for every 1"... I hand load for my 20" OBR and get 2650 fps (ball park). You should still be able to hit 2500+fps which is enough to get you there.

My 2 cents..

Have an 18" OBR with a Surefire 762ss break on it's way to me now. I have a HDMR with a LaRue mount going on it when it arrives. It will be a back up to my Surgeon 20" on a AI 2.0 with the same HDMR.

I can switch my can back and forth between the two. Should be a good one two punch depending on what I will be shooting.

I love my OBR - It is a great shooter. I had it out last weekend at an extreme distance range - steel hits at 1300 and 1500 yards. I don't think that I would have believed it was possible a few years back for someone to have repeatable hits on steel that far away with an 18" Gas Gun. Now it has me wondering if I need to keep my 308 bolt guns.

- One issue that I experienced and wasn't happy about was that using LaRue Mounts on the OBR will not provide an adequate Cheek-Weld on a Magpul PRS Stock (I think this is due to the 20MOA built in). It is more like a Chin-Weld. I went with an ADM Mount they have a low mount that works very well with the HDMR scopes. I am bummed I couldn't get a LaRue to do the job.

Popndrop,

Glad to hear your feedback on the OBR.

How much clearance did you have between the rail and scope objective when using the Larue mount? Did you have back-up iron sights mounted?

I am getting ready to order a 18" OBR 7.62 and plan to mount a 4-16x42 as low as I can get it. Had looked at the ADM mount (I like their mounts), and found an "SL" model that looks like it will work for my purposes (assuming no back-up sights). I am OK with using a set of rings also.

Ultimately, I am concerned about finding the right stock and hope by getting the scope as low as possible to make that process easier. Am not sure about the PRS stock at this point. Have read conflicting opinions on it.

I'm running a NF on my OBR with the OBR mount (50 mm obj) and have to admit it is a little high but was designed with the purpose of mounting night/thermal optics in front of your primary glass. My OBR sports the PRS and I have it tapped out just to get a good sight alignment/cheek weld. I'll tell you now that if you really like a tight cheek weld look elsewhere and pick up some rings in the 1.1"-1.2" range with your stated glass objective.

The ADM SL is what I ended up going with. Works perfectly except that I can't really run nvg in front with a good match up, there will be a slight offset.
The objective lenses are siting just a couple mils off the rail.

Popndrop,

What LaRue mount were you using? I have an 18" OBR on order and am a little concerned about proper cheekweld myself (given that giant rail). I was set on the LT111 mount but your post gives me pause. I plan on running the new USO 1-8 (when they come out) and will be using a CTR with Risr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falsecrack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Popndrop,

What LaRue mount were you using? I have an 18" OBR on order and am a little concerned about proper cheekweld myself (given that giant rail). I was set on the LT111 mount but your post gives me pause. I plan on running the new USO 1-8 (when they come out) and will be using a CTR with Risr. </div></div>

I tried using 3 different versions of their mounts - the SPR, the PSR and the OBR - just too see if there was a noticeable difference. The answer is, none of them worked for me with a Magpul PRS Stock. I called LaRue, and they all sit 1.5" high, to match up with forward mounted NVG. This is the problem with the OBR, as the built in 20MOA makes it just that much higher in the back. I asked them about it, and they said they were looking into it. I think this may be solved with the new PredatOBR - as it has 0MOA rail.
Good Luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My OBR has proved to be the real deal. I went with a 20" barrel and topped her off with a NF 3.5-15X50 mil/mil ZS/HS.

The package will be complete when my TBAC 30-BA hits my hands.

If your on the fence between a Harris or Atlas bipod... Don't hesitate to pull the trigger on the atlas. It's a true piece of art. Loading up a semi will make or break your follow up shots and the atlas loads extremely well in all environments.

My 2 cents.

</div></div>

I'm pretty much rolling the exact same set-up... minus supressor. I'm happy with it!