• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LaRue OBR 20" soft-strike on primer - Help?

fischstix

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2012
I'll get this out of the way. I truly suck at posting here. I'm on too many forums as it is and have to really commit to post/troll/flame (jk) on here more. Bad fischstix.

So I'll get right down to it. I've owned and been trained on dozens of weapons, literally since that first 10/22 in the Boy Scouts. I've never seen an issue like this, especially on one of the best big bore semi-autos in the world. My OBR is soft-striking primers I think. Here's how I found out.

I've only had about 200, maybe 250 rounds through her. Sometimes I drop my mag and clear halfway through to make a range cold (private range) and check a target. When I picked up the loose and live round, factory-loaded, my eye caught something- a mark, very distinct, centered on the primer- the pin had definitely struck the primer. So I checked the bolt carrier, pin didn't seem to seat beyond the boltface. Fired another round, pulled the next one out of the chamber. Same thing. Did it one more time, same thing.

Have I been firing a weapon for ten months that soft strikes when it's chambering? Anyone heard of this? I'm usually using Federal M118 150-gr.

I'll look for a live round that has this strike so I can post a pic. Thinking of emailing LaRue.

Yes its normal. What is happening is the firing pin is coming forward a little bit when chambering a round and tapping the primer. Its normal

OBR 5.56 - Yes. Normal. All AR-15's do that. And yes, we were all alarmed when we spotted our first primer with the little ding in it.

OBR 7.62 - No. Not normal. The 7.62 firing pin has a spring on it to prevent the inertia of the BCG from doing this.

Which do you have?

Last edited:
obr 5.56 - yes. Normal. All a-15's do that. And yes, we were all alarmed when we spotted our first primer with the little ding in it.

Obr 7.62 - no. Not normal. The 7.62 firing pin has a spring on it to prevent the inertia of the bcg from doing this.

Which do you have?

this

My PredatAR 7.62 does this. I didn't think too much of it because all of my .223/5.56 ARs do this, too.

My LMT MWS does this as well.

My Larue 7.62 gas guns have a spring like Armalite uses on their firing pins.

I'll check this week to see if mine do the same thing. Maybe they do and I've just never noticed.

Most 308 semis do this - even sometimes with the pin spring. as long as it doesn't make it to "primer strike" levels it should be fine.