• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Larue OBR Barrel Removal

tkbowes

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2007
Kodiak, Alaska
Does anyone have any idea on how to remove the barrel off a Larue OBR? I cannot find anything on line, i.e. the step by step. I understand that the barrel nut is epoxy on ant that you will need a lot of heat to break it free. Your thoughts.

Re: Larue OBR Barrel Removal

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GOT M107</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have any idea on how to remove the barrel off a Larue OBR? I cannot find anything on line, i.e. the step by step. I understand that the barrel nut is epoxy on ant that you will need a lot of heat to break it free. Your thoughts. </div></div>

I've never heard they've epoxied it on......

Doubt you'll find anything online since the cult of larue think the .308 is just fine for the most part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when in doubt, call the company. It also tests customer service.</div></div>

I just happened to do that this morning and was told they do not sell the barrels separarly from the upper. I was wanted to find out if I could replace the barrel with the different length barrel. My rifle is an OBR 556.

You can call major barrel manufacturers and they can make you any length barrel you want for it. Usually just sent the upper with the bolt

I can fit a blank. Just order a blank or heavy contour and we can turn it to fit.

Just did a mess of them for M-4's recently.

Be glad to help.

C.

Interested as well since LaRue's threading doesn't quite meet my needs for mounting a suppressor and they won't custom thread the muzzle.

I am guessing they don't do their own barrel work and that the barrels arrive chambered, threaded, and with the extension installed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lw8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interested as well since LaRue's threading doesn't quite meet my needs for mounting a suppressor and they won't custom thread the muzzle.

I am guessing they don't do their own barrel work and that the barrels arrive chambered, threaded, and with the extension installed. </div></div>

My understanding is that they are having Lothar Walther run the barrels.
They probably get the barrels profiled, chambered and threaded on both ends, and then just torque the extensions on and drill gas ports in house.
Either way, LaRue is not a custom shop.
They only seem to make "production" items.

There was an OBR for sale here a few months back that had a new barrel on it. Wanna say it was done up in 260 rem.

For someone who piddles with this and has skills the sky is the limit. I.E. the wrench for the URX hand guards which cost a fortune. There is a thread over on ARFCOM from a guy who did a solid model then made the wrench. Pretty sure Longrifles and GAP can set you up though.

I wonder if you could buy a 20 inch orb and cut/thread it to 18 inches to get it right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2156SMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lw8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interested as well since LaRue's threading doesn't quite meet my needs for mounting a suppressor and they won't custom thread the muzzle.

I am guessing they don't do their own barrel work and that the barrels arrive chambered, threaded, and with the extension installed. </div></div>

My understanding is that they are having Lothar Walther run the barrels.
They probably get the barrels profiled, chambered and threaded on both ends, and then just torque the extensions on and drill gas ports in house.
Either way, LaRue is not a custom shop.
They only seem to make "production" items. </div></div>

Wrong. To my knowledge LW only did the barrel profiles and that was it. LT does the chambering and threading.