• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Larue or Nightforce Uni-mount?

rifleman0321

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2004
midwest/USA
I am in the process of mounting a Nightforce 2.5-10x24 on my LMT MWS. I hear all the rave reviews on the Larue QR mounts, but also have heard they sometimes mar the reciever finish. I have read good reviews of the Nightforce Uni-mount, which state that they do not mar the reciever, and are just as high quality as the Larue stuff. My own criteria lean more toward eternal bombproofness than preserving a finish, but I see no reason to scratch up a high-dollar rifle unless it gains me something. What say you?

Re: Larue or Nightforce Uni-mount?

The Larue will leave a mark. It will not damage your finish unless you very improperly adjust it.

The Larue will also give you a quick release and quick attach. It will also keep its zero when you do this(if you have it adjusted correctly).

Have both, prefer the NF Unimount honestly...when I drop glass on a rifle, I <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">generally</span></span> have no need whatsoever for QD mounts since I don't plan on taking the scope on/off.

I've galled some receivers with LT mounts...on <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">most</span></span> of my guns it doesn't bother me...but if you are concerned about that...go with the NF.

I like the LaRue. While you may not foresee needing QD, it is nice to have. I don't care about upper receiver rail finish, so the marring is of no consequence to me.

Another for the NF Unimount...

It's Light,
Positive mounting, I like torquing my mounts down, that breeds consistency and it's a good height.

With my LT QD, I have to mimic the others, the marring and adjustment is annoying, I'm not gonna pull it off. The sideways / vertical rings get in the way of seeing the turrets somewhat, not to mention you really have to loctite them down so they don't loosen up. And I have seen the front QD come loose because it is not captured like the back. The return to zero -- well ok.

But with the NF you don't get a Hat, Bumper Sticker and Steak Rub... so you have to determine what is important for yourself. A lot of people prefer to overlook a few things in order to savor the perks.

ADM makes a fantastic mount that is equivalent to larue and bobro's offerings that will not harm the ano on the rail.
sdz6o6.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="text-decoration: line-through">Have</span>Had both, prefer the NF Unimount honestly...when I drop glass on a rifle, I <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">generally</span></span> have no need whatsoever for QD mounts since I don't plan on taking the scope on/off.
</div></div>

Fixed for my personal experience/opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Although I did have Dillo Dusted prok chops last night..... </div></div>

Wait you put it on food? I thought you were supposed to snort it....

+1 for the NF.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I confess, I have some Dillo Dust on a Pork Tenderloin right now...
wink.gif
</div></div>The dillo dust IS good...

Toss a coin, either mount will do the job well. Go NF if you don't want the receiver marred, I have a slight mark on one of my AR's from a Larue.

For what it is worth, I thought that my Larue mounts were marring my receivers, but hard rubbing made the "finish wear" go away. It looked like the mount had worn through the anodizing, but really it was the chrome plating or whatever rubbing off on the receiver.

FWIW, no more free hats. You still get the "God Bless Our Troops, Especially Our Snipers" sticker, some dust, the spiffy armadillo-shaped beverage opener utensil,and some brochures with spectacular pictures of the OBRs and other paraphernalia that I covet, but really can't afford. Without the hat, I suspect the balance of power will markedly shift toward the Unimount (LOL). Even worse, I was pretty close to the complete hat color set when this wretched economy forced the drastic discontinuation of LaRue's apparel giveaways.

Also consider the Near Alpha Mount.

They are fantastic IMO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tt350z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out Bobro mounts. </div></div>

In addition to being self adjusting Bobro uses a more conventional ring design, that some people prefer. Email me for Hide pricing on Bobro. We have ADM and Nightforce as well.

Marshall

Bobro-1.jpg

On other worth consideration is the JP Enterprise AR mount. You can even mount a backup optics on that one by replacing one of the ring tops ala the Burris PEPR mount.

I own the PEPR, Larue 104, Near Alpha Mount, and the JP Mount.

In terms of fit and finish, Near wins hands down. For PEPR type flexibility and better return to zero, the JP Mount is the best. LaRue has good finish but the rear locking QD handle gets in the way of my AR charging handle which annoys me. The LaRue also gets in the way of my bucc brass catcher attachment which annoys me again. Plus it is not designed for mounting a backup optic.

i like the nightforce unimounts. with a 68 inch pound torque wrench you can take it on and off pretty easily, and it keeps zero. the qd mounts are neat but i like the nightforce mount

I have a LaRue mount but I would go with NF Uni-Mount. Also another very good mount is the ADM but a again the NF Uni-Mount is more solid.

Mike @ CST

I have both, I like both. On the LaRue side of things I prefer the newer OBR mount as it does away with the vertical split rings. However for the rifles that have more or less permanent optics - I tend to prefer either NF or AI mounts...

-pd

What is the opnion on the Near alpha mount? I have some of Richards other stuff and I know the quality he puts out but the Alpha vs. the Unimount? What do yall think.

I am still looking hard at the Larue stuff(that OBR mount in particular), especially since I remembered I want QD capability in order to move the scope forward at times, in order to mount my PVS-14 behind it for night shooting. Unfortunately, that seems to kill the NF and the Near mounts for me(the Near mount is impressive). Larue gets a LOT of positive play everywhere I have looked. Any better QD mount out there?

I've got a LaRue 30mm OBR mount I'm not using that I'll cut you a deal on if interested. If not I'll just keep it, just thought I'd offer.

Joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NF Unimount all the way. Owned both, still have the NF. </div></div>

+1

I'm looking for an AR mount for my NF 2.5-10x32, and this discussion is very useful. The LaRue LT-104 or 158 is 1.5" high (top of rail to ocular centerline), while the NF Unimount is 1.375" high. I've looked all over for the "spec" (if any) for AR-15 flattop optics height and for the height of an ACOG without success. What is the optimum height of the optical centerline on a flattop - I'm acquiring an AR similar to a POF P415?

I own several Larue mounts and swear by them. I have one issue with my first mount(my fault) and they sent me a new mount.

BTW if you own an ACOG Larue is simply the best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking for an AR mount for my NF 2.5-10x32, and this discussion is very useful. The LaRue LT-104 or 158 is 1.5" high (top of rail to ocular centerline), while the NF Unimount is 1.375" high. I've looked all over for the "spec" (if any) for AR-15 flattop optics height and for the height of an ACOG without success. What is the optimum height of the optical centerline on a flattop - I'm acquiring an AR similar to a POF P415?</div></div> A lot of scope rings for ARs run 1.5" or even higher. 1.5" for me is way too high to get proper tight stock weld without running a PRS stock, which I don't prefer to use either. I went with the 1.375" NF Unimount, and may try the even lower one next as it is still a little too high for me when using an collapsible (UBR) butt stock.

I will admit I have high and skinny cheek bones and my cheek rests have always been too high for most other shooters in the past, so that is why I'm looking at the 1.125" next for my standard flat top upper.

For running a P415 style with the even higher monolithic rail, you will likely be best served with the 1.125 NF mount as the rail adds quite a bit to the base height.

I have both. Its a question of weather or not you need the QD ability. My OBR mount has not damaged my rails to any degree.

Thanks Redmanss. Guess I better wait for the rifle and test a few optics to be sure of the rail height, it's like a POF P415 but not a POF.

I would take the NF if having to choose from just the 2 listed. My personal choice is the mount from Knights.

A pic from my old SR15 Match.

kac_7.jpg

kac_5.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For what it is worth, I thought that my Larue mounts were marring my receivers, but hard rubbing made the "finish wear" go away. It looked like the mount had worn through the anodizing, but really it was the chrome plating or whatever rubbing off on the receiver. </div></div>

Trust me. If you have it properly adjusted it will wear the anodizing off. I have an M4 with a spot worn through from several years with a CCO mount on it. It doesn't bother me because it's a work tool and the mount does what I need it to do.

I have both and like both. Another consideration is NF has the 20 moa cant built in, last I knew La Rue has a 10 moa available. Some scopes (USO SN-3) won't fit in the 1.250 NF has the rings aren't tall enough to clear the turret housing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marsh1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tt350z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out Bobro mounts. </div></div>

In addition to being self adjusting Bobro uses a more conventional ring design, that some people prefer. Email me for Hide pricing on Bobro. We have ADM and Nightforce as well.

Marshall

Bobro-1.jpg
</div></div>

I assume that the Bobro has clearance for a BUIS? Bobro makes great stuff but never knew that they offered that mount. Looks like I found a mount for my NF 3.5-15X50.
cool.gif
Any idea of the weight variance between that mount and the LT?