• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Larue PredatOBR 5.56

rlbreakfield

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2017
Mississippi
Folks, what are yalls thoughts and experience with Larue 5.56? Specifically the PredatOBR. Looking for a mid weight AR for hunting/medium range plinking. Are they worth the money and are they real world accurate the way their website suggests?

Thx bro, accuracy is my biggest concern. I don't mind paying the extra $, if it performs well. Especially with the heavier 5.56 projectiles.

No experience with the 5.56, have a 7.62 (on second barrel) OBR and 6.5 Grendel. All three barrels have been .5- .6 MOA with hand loads. Had a problem with one of them, but they made it right.

I have a 16 inch tobr in 556. Absolutely love it. Worth the money. Use it a lot for hunting. Trust me, 62 grain fusion will do the trick.

Attachments

• 1A6815C3-6023-4F8A-8CFD-45D7A6D2C6AD.jpeg
    1A6815C3-6023-4F8A-8CFD-45D7A6D2C6AD.jpeg
    655.3 KB · Views: 135
Reactions: rlbreakfield
Accuracy in AR's have a lot to do with your capabilities and the optics you choose. I have 2 x LWRCs, PWS, AR15 Performance and a DPMS Mini-SASS and all are within 1 - 1.5 MOA. All but the Mini-SASS are set-up for three gun so they are sporting 1-6 or 4 power ACOG's so they are but so accurate with those optics; I just need them to hit steel. The Mini-SASS is set-up with a Trijicon 1-8, and although I can see the 100 yard plaster better, the reticle is a little thick to shoot 1 MOA dots. If you bought a LaRue, because you have the money for it, it will work well but it also matters how you scope it and how you are able to shoot it as to how much accuracy you can obtain from it. I have seen LaRue OBR's shoot and they were plenty accurate, so again, if you have the money, go for it.

Last edited:
Yeah I kinda got skeptical when they were all five star reviews.

I'm sure they make a good product, just kinda one sided.

The website reviews were......one sided
I wrote a review stating their one of their products was OK and at the price LaRue was selling it for it was one of the top items in the midrange list of AR items. The first review never made it on their site. The second, it was there for about two hours and deleted.

After all that, I don't really buy from them anymore. There are other items that are comparable. LaRue's customer service is really good, then again other companies have great customer service too. I haven't sold off the LaRue products I have, no real need to... I just tend to look at other products first. On another site, I usually get blasted for committing the sacrilege of not just sticking with and/or buying LaRue. I have enough decals, books, dillo dust, bottle openers made of soft aluminum and tactical paint can mixer/storage lids... :rolleyes:

I wrote a review stating their one of their products was OK and at the price LaRue was selling it for it was one of the top items in the midrange list of AR items. The first review never made it on their site. The second, it was there for about two hours and deleted.

After all that, I don't really buy from them anymore. There are other items that are comparable. LaRue's customer service is really good, then again other companies have great customer service too. I haven't sold off the LaRue products I have, no real need to... I just tend to look at other products first. On another site, I usually get blasted for committing the sacrilege of not just sticking with and/or buying LaRue. I have enough decals, books, dillo dust, bottle openers made of soft aluminum and tactical paint can mixer/storage lids... :rolleyes:

As I did the same in regards to their 6.5 Grendel Upper... My 3 Star rating never saw the light of day, I will never own any LT products again ... Money before integrity

Reactions: Wile_Coyote
If you're open to alternatives I've got a Noveske Rogue Hunter with an 18" lightweight barrel that I love. Accuracy IS all it's cracked up to be and with a carbine stock it balances like I never thought an AR could.
Nick

love my tobr. wish I had a 20" barrel for it and I'd be doing a the PRS gas gun series with it.

Man I was all hyped up to get a noveske a while back but talked my self out of it. I saw some reviews and talked to some folks that said their quality went down hill. I think something about the owner passing away and sons taking over.

You really just need to build your own, it's asinine to buy a complete 556 / 223 rifle from anyone these days.

Check out JP Enterprises, they are a great company and build great rifles. Accuracy has been sub MOA with ease and no muzzle lift. They have many options, I am a very satisfied customer not affiliated with JP or gun business.

I've entertained this idea also. How much money would you save if you built a comparable rifle to a larue, daniel defense, or noveske?

Man I was all hyped up to get a noveske a while back but talked my self out of it. I saw some reviews and talked to some folks that said their quality went down hill. I think something about the owner passing away and sons taking over.
Wrong. I own several noveske from when John was alive and a noveske that is literally a 2018 model and the quality hasn't changed the slightest, all the pride is still right there. Don't believe everything you hear from the naysayers.

If your a gunsmith like a lot of these folks are,,, that's great. I'm not. I was in you position 4 years ago and bought that very same rifle in 5.56 with a 16 inch barrel. Additionally in the past 4 years several AR & BA rifles have come and gone from my inventory. You can call me what ever you want. The Larue is a solid reliable gun. She loves Hornady Black 75gr BTHP

If your a gunsmith like a lot of these folks are,,, that's great. I'm not.
Are you referring to building an AR? It most definitely does not take real gunsmithing skills to put together an AR. If you're capable of wiping your own ass, making grilled cheese sandwiches and reading, you too can assemble a small box of parts.

You can build a much better rifle than any of the above for what they charge. I can provide a parts list if you want OP.

Ok so based on your desire for an extremely accurate, mid-weight, hunting/medium range plinker, with a budget of around $2200 (cheapest I can find a full 5.56 OBR 16in), I'd recommend building something along the lines of the following (keep in mind with a budget like this the build can be changed for more/less weight easily):

Upper

Barrel: Compass Lake Engineering Bartlein 16in ~$495. They will cut it to whatever contour you desire, I'd recommend a light-medium taper. If you want to kill things past ~400y, go 20in instead. I'd also recommend 5/8x24 threads. You can also get them to use a JP barrel extension and match it to a bolt you provide, which I'd also recommend. If you'd like to cut down on weight, there is room for a Proof Research in the budget (just realize you don't get more accuracy, just less weight).

Upper: Aero Enhanced builders kit $240 (includes upper+lower+handguard).

Handguard: Aero M4E1 mlok 15in included above $0.

Gas Block: Superlative Arms clamp on .750 (or SLR if the SAs are out of stock) $90.

Bolt Carrier Group: RCA Titanium BCG $375. Can save $$$ here if you go AIM lightweight, but you gain over an OZ.

Gas Tube: Any mid length $15.

Charging Handle: Armageddon Tactical GMS-15 Gen 2 $85.

Muzzle Device: Get a cheap 5/8x24 A2 for now ($18). Grab a suppressor down the road, I'd recommend a Q Trash Panda.

Optic (not in budget): Let me know if you need one I can make recommendations that fit the budget or use a separate budget.

Lower

Lower Receiver: Aero E1 included above $0.

Small Parts: Aero LPK $25.

Trigger: TriggerTech Adjustable $240.

Buffer Tube+Buffer Spring+Weight+Stock: Luth-AR Stock kit $140. Replace the buffer and spring with Taccom lightweight for $40.

Grip: BCM or similar grip $19 (personal preference part).

Accessories/Misc

Mags: ASC if you reload, Magpul or Lancer if you don't.

Lube: Slip 2000 EWL.

Cleaning kit: Real Avid AR $35

Sling: Frank Proctor WotG sling $19

Bipod: Your choice of Mlok mount + Harris 9-13in swivel $70.

Comes in just under or just over $1600 depending on options chosen for the rifle alone. Will be significantly more accurate than the Larue, more reliable, and a bit lighter. Leaves plenty of room for a suppressor or optic, or if you want you can get a V7 lithium alloy (2099 and 2055) upper+lower+handguard to max out the budget, and cut another over 1/2lbs, and/or the Proof Research barrel for a similar effect (less weight off but more off where it matters).

Let me know if you have any questions!

Last edited:
Ok so based on your desire for an extremely accurate, mid-weight, hunting/medium range plinker, with a budget of around $2200 (cheapest I can find a full 5.56 OBR 16in), I'd recommend building something along the lines of the following (keep in mind with a budget like this the build can be changed for more/less weight easily):

Upper

Barrel: Compass Lake Engineering Bartlein 16in ~$495. They will cut it to whatever contour you desire, I'd recommend a light-medium taper. If you want to kill things past ~400y, go 20in instead. I'd also recommend 5/8x24 threads. If you'd like to cut down on weight, there is room for a Proof Research in the budget (just realize you don't get more accuracy, just less weight).

Upper: Aero Enhanced builders kit $240 (includes upper+lower+handguard).

Handguard: Aero M4E1 mlok 15in included above $0.

Gas Block: Superlative Arms clamp on .750 (or SLR if the SAs are out of stock) $90.

Bolt Carrier Group: RCA Titanium BCG $375. Can save $$$ here if you go AIM lightweight, but you gain over an OZ.

Gas Tube: Any mid length $15.

Charging Handle: Armageddon Tactical GMS-15 Gen 2 $85.

Muzzle Device: Get a cheap 5/8x24 A2 for now ($18). Grab a suppressor down the road, I'd recommend a Q Trash Panda.

Optic (not in budget): Let me know if you need one I can make recommendations that fit the budget or use a separate budget.

Lower

Lower Receiver: Aero E1 included above $0.

Small Parts: Aero LPK $25.

Trigger: TriggerTech Adjustable $240.

Buffer Tube+Buffer Spring+Weight+Stock: Luth-AR Stock kit $140. Replace the buffer and spring with Taccom lightweight for $40.

Grip: BCM or similar grip $19 (personal preference part).

Accessories/Misc

Mags: ASC if you reload, Magpul or Lancer if you don't.

Lube: Slip 2000 EWL.

Cleaning kit: Real Avid AR $35

Sling: Frank Proctor WotG sling $19

Bipod: Your choice of Mlok mount + Harris 9-13in swivel $70.

Comes in just under or just over $1600 depending on options chosen for the rifle alone. Will be significantly more accurate than the Larue, more reliable, and a bit lighter. Leaves plenty of room for a suppressor or optic, or if you want you can get a V7 lithium alloy (2099 and 2055) upper+lower+handguard to max out the budget, and cut another 1/2lbs.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thx bro!!