• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LaRue PredatOBR vs Noveske Infidel

Tyler2386

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2020
Hey guys. New to the forum.

I am looking to purchase a new high end, complete AR 15. Mid length - 12.5 to 16in. At this time I am looking at a LaRue PedatOBR 14.7 and a Noveske Gen 4 Light Infidel 13.7. I am planning to shoot suppressed some, but not 100% of the time. This will just be a range gun/show piece.

I spoke to a rep from LaRue today who advised that their guns are gassed specifically for their cans (Which he advised have limited blow back), and therefore I should expect cycling problems when using any other cans. Obviously I was not pleased to hear this, but he may have simply been trying to upsell me.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts regarding either of these guns, or if I should strongly consider another option. Another consideration is availability, as it is nearly impossible to find either of these guns at the moment.

I don’t buy the gassed specifically for the Larue cans. Their gas block was out long before they did cans. I have seen several running fine with non-Larue cans.

Reactions: sea2summit
I don’t buy the gassed specifically for the Larue cans. Their gas block was out long before they did cans. I have seen several running fine with non-Larue cans.

Thanks. My thoughts as well, but I’d hate to spend $2400 on a rifle and it doesn’t cycle reliability with my omega attached. Kind of disconcerting.

Also looking at the Geissele Super Duty 11.5 in. pistol now. These are more readily available and appear to come with some nice features for the price.

I am looking to purchase a new high end, complete AR 15. Mid length - 12.5 to 16in. At this time I am looking at a LaRue PedatOBR 14.7 and a Noveske Gen 4 Light Infidel 13.7. I am planning to shoot suppressed some, but not 100% of the time. This will just be a range gun/show piece.

I spoke to a rep from LaRue today who advised that their guns are gassed specifically for their cans (Which he advised have limited blow back), and therefore I should expect cycling problems when using any other cans. Obviously I was not pleased to hear this, but he may have simply been trying to upsell me.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts regarding either of these guns, or if I should strongly consider another option. Another consideration is availability, as it is nearly impossible to find either of these guns at the moment.

I have both LaRue Barrels and Noveske Barrels(SS). Both are great. I will say that both are solid .5 MOA barrels with good ammo. I do prefer the Noveske SS barrels as I have found that they do have better longevity.

Any reason to NOT have the KAC SR-15 E3 Mod2 in that mix?

I have all three (LaRue, Infidel, KAC) and between those 3 I'd give the nod to KAC.

Also would look at LMT MRP Piston (I have one of those, too) for suppressed. I'd put it right up there with KAC (sacrilege!)

Any reason to NOT have the KAC SR-15 E3 Mod2 in that mix?

I have all three (LaRue, Infidel, KAC) and between those 3 I'd give the nod to KAC.

Also would look at LMT MRP Piston (I have one of those, too) for suppressed. I'd put it right up there with KAC (sacrilege!)

Excellent. Will look at those two now. Thanks!

Just drank the KAC coolaid and picked up an SR-15 E3 MOD2 14.5 pinned upper. Dropped it on an Aero Enhanced M4-E lower . F'ing A this combo is a sweet shooter. Recoil impulse is freakishly smooth. Should have done this before wasting money on standard fare builds...

Attachments

• IMG_20200814_202829.jpg
    IMG_20200814_202829.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 205
Reactions: TheHorta
Just drank the KAC coolaid and picked up an SR-15 E3 MOD2 14.5 pinned upper. Dropped it on an Aero Enhanced M4-E lower . F'ing A this combo is a sweet shooter. Recoil impulse is freakishly smooth. Should have done this before wasting money on standard fare builds...
Same picked up a sr15 lpr. Plan on selling my other rifles.

Reactions: TacticalPlinker
Noveske project ARES. It's a half moa gun with 77 grain smk and 70 grain tsx. Stainless barrel btw.
20200815_161421.jpg

I have 3 Larues including two tOBRs. They are awesome plain and simple. The only AR I have fired that I like better is my KAC ECC but that is a lot more money than the Larue.

I’ve got a sack full of Larues and they are all worth every penny. All are sub MOA and while I’m not a 1/2 MOA shooter I have two that will do sub 3/4 consistently.

Is this first hand information / experience or just speculation?
Seen running fine but with which cans?
How did brass look? Specifically the primer and any burr on case head?
How many rds before starting to have carbon fouling induced failure to function with non-LaRue can?
Any changes to buffer weight, buffer spring K to make run reliably, smoothly?

Last edited:

There is an appreciable difference in back pressure between LaRue TranQuilo and Silencerco Omega. TranQuilo definitely works better on a gas gun than does an Omega. Enough to be an issue? Positively maybe. Heavy up buffer, higher buffer spring K and most probably not be a "major" issue.
I definitely see more change between can on / can off with higher back pressure cans vs the TranQuilo. I have to change nada when using the TranQuilo when going between can on / can off. Higher back pressure cans, need to have an adj gas block and/or change buffer weight / buffer spring K to keep brass ejecting to same position.
I'm not saying the Omega is a "bad" can in any way, shape or form. I am saying the TranQuilo is a better gas gun can than the Omega. Omega on bolt gun is a different story but since we are talking about ARs...

If you can still get a TranQuilo for $399 with purchase of a rifle, I'd definitely get one. I've not used a better gas gun can than the TranQuilo, especially so at the price point of the LT can.

I've had customers have issues with higher back pressure cans on their gas guns (LaRue and other mfg'ers) that with nothing else changed behave "normally". Higher back pressure cans were causing primer issues, rapid fouling issues.
Isn't a LaRue issue so much as nearly every mfg'er issue where adding back pressure causes some issues.

LaRue PredatOBR has been utterly reliable, very accurate and I'd not hesitate to get another one with a TranQuilo.

YMMV

I run Socom on my light and heavies no issues. That’s what the pst was designed to run with.

Seen running fine but with which cans?
How did brass look? Specifically the primer and any burr on case head?
How many rds before starting to have carbon fouling induced failure to function with non-LaRue can?
Any changes to buffer weight, buffer spring K to make run reliably, smoothly?

First hand
TB Ultra 9 and a form one can
Brass looks fine other than dirty, no burr and no extra signs on primer
Only ran a couple hundred rounds, no failures in that time.
no equipment changes, did flip gas block to suppressed.

I used a Surefire 7.62 SS on my PreditOBR in 18inch 308 with no problems ( 2 k or so round count) my buddy had a 16inch with a Surefire Socom RC 7.62 on it no problems. I was told the LaRue guns where gassed for surefire cans . but that was before they built there own cans.. Now with .260 and 6.5 CM i could not get a can to run besides the LaRue can.. which I also have.. It is heavy as hell.

I don't think 5.56 are as picky when it comes to cans.

First hand
TB Ultra 9 and a form one can
Brass looks fine other than dirty, no burr and no extra signs on primer
Only ran a couple hundred rounds, no failures in that time.
no equipment changes, did flip gas block to suppressed.
If TBAC Ultra 9 runs fine, should be good to go with just about any can.
30 cal can on a 223 is a bit more forgiving.
I've definitely seen more issues on the 6.5 Creed / 260.

Interesting video showing backpressure differences.
Appears to be a SF can but exact model isn't mentioned. If SOCOM556 RC2, that is a lower back pressure can.

Forgive my ignorance but how can one shoot the Noveske infidel suppressed? I thought the kx3/5 pig flash hider was pinned and welded to the barrel? Were you going to remove the welded flash hider? It just seems like you can buy other Noveske offerings without going through the hassle of doing all that work unless you really wanted a 13.7” barrel rifle.

The socom 556 short can is hard to consider low back pressure. Shooting the thing as a lefty you will be struggling unless outdoors in a good breeze (no agb). The tranquilo and suurg system both have little gas to shooters face. Both are heavy though.

I run a AAC can on my 308 OBR, no issues at all.
kenner

Also looking at the Geissele Super Duty 11.5 in. pistol now. These are more readily available and appear to come with some nice features for the price.
I bought one of these (luna black) and so did my buddy. He spoke quite highly of it but I have not had time to get to the range unfortunately so its a second hand account. The only thing I can say is I swapped the SBA3 out for an SBA4 and I like the trigger they provided. Some people like a pure flat or bowed trigger but this is kind of in-between the two.
There are nicer rifles out there and if cost is of no concern you can definitely purchase them. It all depends on what you want.
It does remain to be seen how the geissele barrels perform against other CHF barrels.