• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Larue Stealth snipers- any good?

Bart

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2005
Amarillo, Tx
Hello all,
I am about to pull the trigger on a Larue stealth upper, but I thought I would check here first.
Is the 1200 for the upper alone worth it? I dont mind spending the money for a top-notch quality item, I just dont want to hear about how XYZ or whatever brand shoots the same groups, is just as reliable, ect for half the money....
If you have one, please let me know if they are worth it, or if you have buyer's remorse.

Thanks!

Jordan

Re: Larue Stealth snipers- any good?

I'm interested as well. I read a thread on AR15.com a couple days ago that had a lot of good reviews for the larue...

Shawn

Dont own one, but I have shot several of them....at Larue's range.

Totally worth the cash if you can swing it.

I've shot just about all the configurations there are (shorty to LR) and I've never had an issue with any of them.

accuracy? lol.... read the AAR posted here:
<span style="font-style: italic">
What our customers are saying... I got my new LT Quad-S 16" a couple hours ago and I can't put it down. Thanks! When you spend your money and feel so good about what you got in exchange, you can't beat that feeling. My new LT-011 mounted on a new LMT SOPMOD lower with a LT-110 EOTech and a LT-104 with my 3.3-10 Nikon make a package I'll enjoy for a long time. If this thing shoots as good as it looks, this won't be my last one, bet on it, I am! Thanks to everyone at LaRue Tactical for making this such a great experience.
Steve XXXXX
A dyed in the wool LT believer

RANGE REPORT
Mark, Here's the range report. Precision Rifle Concepts class at Ben Avery Range, Phoenix, Arizona, April 14 and 15. Mostly Remington 700s, Winchester 70s, or equal, 4 AR formats, 2 of those .223 caliber. Shooting 50-300 yards from bench, prone (supported and unsupported) kneeling, sitting and squat, over, under and around obstacles. Weather was very windy both days. LT Stealth 16 with Nikon 3.3x10 consistently shot 3-3.5" groups at 300 yards. The daylight part of the shoot ended with a speed/precision drill shooting four 5/8" fluorescent dots at 50 yards. Shooters lined up, then moved quickly to the bench and fired 4 rounds, first one to hit all four dots wins. Chock up one win for the Stealth. The instructor decided to make it a little more fair for the bolt guns and repeated the drill with the auto loaders only having one round loaded in a magazine. I only had two mags, so I had to reload two mags in the middle of the drill. No matter, chock up another win for the Stealth. The final test for the Stealth came under failing light with a one round 50 yard shot from a bench on a "called" shot by the instructor at a perpetrators head, on command. The line was to hold "ready" to fire for up to 3 minutes and fire on command at a specific body part. The called target was a life sized eye. The Stealth nailed the pupil on command. The other shooters were fairly well impressed with the Stealth by this time so everyone gathered for a closer look. I removed the scope with its SPR mount and remounted it to the rifle, then we repeated the drill. No one could believe that the second round hole was touching the first.
My LT Stealth is everything I hoped for, a CQB rifle with precision capabilities to 300 yards. Thanks again and watch for my order of a 10.5" upper!
Steve XXXX</span>

This thing will run...and run accurately.

Its a nice product but if you shoot ACC cans you might want to look into somthing else.

Do I have buyers remorse for buying one not really. Would I buy another one not sure.

There a number of companies that can build a upper in the same price range that will be just as good if not better. At the same time those other companies may or may not offer the level of Customer service that LaRue does.

I have one. Not getting good accuracy yet. I think that is my fault. I just ordered a gisselle trigger, so hopefully that will help me shoot it better.

I also ordered a Tubb CWS and buffer spring. I think the gun is a little over gassed and adding a M4-96D suppressor to it just made things worse.

It should do 3/4" at 100.

cant get much better than Larue machine work is first class and as stated above Customer service is the best

Got a 20 inch Stealth.
2 stage RRA trigger.
Shooting my buddy's 62 grain reloads.
All 10 shoots landed inside a one inch circle @ 100 yards.
Not sure if that's as good as it's gonna get, still messing around with different loads.

I bought a Stealth upper and was very pleased with it. It shot .75moa groups as advertised with 5-shot groups and Hornady 75gr BTHP ammo. It was perfectly reliable.
Since purchasing this one, I have built several uppers from scratch using top notch components like a Compass Lake Krieger barrel. Accuracy of my top-notch custom build is about the same....need to reload to tune either of them better than .75MOA.

I thought I could get the same quality as LaRue at a lower cost by building it myself. In the end, I only saved a $100 or so....no biggie.

One thing I would suggest considering is whether you really want a picatinny-style fore-end. Ya, they look cool, but if you are doing a lot of precision shooting, a tubular fore-end is much more practical, comfortable: especially when using a sling to shoot. This is the one I use and love it: http://www.operationparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=YHM-9432A&click=2

Now if you decide that you really want a picatinny fore-end, there is nothing better than a LaRue. I also have a Daniel Defense Lite rail on another upper. LaRue and DD probably make the two best picatinny fore-ends out there: I'd give the nod to LaRue as I prefer the way they clamp to the upper. That said, the DD rail rocks also.

Another thing to note about the Stealth uppers is he uses a fairly heavy barrel profile, I think it is .75" from the gas block forward and maybe a little thicker under the handguard.

Here's one more thought for you. If accuracy and reliability are your prime concerns, then the barrel (w/ a matching bolt) is, by far, the most important part of the upper. There are a many uppers with great barrels. Personally, I find a Wylde chamber to be the perfect combination of accuracy and reliability. Rock River sells some real tac drivers at prices quite a bit lower than the LaRue: http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=271

Just depends on your tastes and budget...nice to have many great choices.

My 16' Stealth shoots 77gr Black HIlls .5' 3 shot and .75 " 5 shot at 100yrd consistently with a Gieselle trigger at 2lb.It is on a LaRue lower (highly suggested) and I absolutely love it.

My 16" stealth with a really crappy trigger, prone position off the ground on a bipod, with 52 or 55gr black hills match ammo, shot .45 moa last week and that was the last 5 shots the of the first 20 round the upper had through it. i did no special break in and that was through a 450 dollar yhm phantom suppressor. Not bad at all IMO. im pretty happy to say the least. with some hand laods and a timny trigger, i think it will do even better. by the way, i was single loading, i will try loading off the mag later and see if the accuracy is maintained.

CJG

Worth it?

Some guys go gaga over a rifle that is loaded with logos...

You want a precision Ar-15 upper, you don't buy one with a "quadrail" of any type on it.

Are you a for-real, hard-holding SOB who can fire sub-moa groups all day long from an offhand position? Most aren't. Those same HHSOBs ain't using quadrails forends.

I would compare any of the precision builders White Oak, Scott Medesha, Accuracy Speaks, Albert Turner, Robert Whitley and see what barrels they use, what handguards, who their customers are and what they say.

No quadrail forend shoots worth a damn from a benchrest position which is what delivers the accuracy you want. No HighPower competitor is shooting a quadrail rigged rifle.

You gonna put flash lights, laser, handgrip, night vision and all that other happy-jazz on your piece or learn to shoot it?

If you want something that shoots, buy a Service Rifle, and then learn to shoot with a sling, iron sights and how to use a 4.5lb trigger and judge the wind.

Whatever floats your boat, but a free-floating quadrail, even with rail slot covers is not up to the tasks a precision AR-15 is expected to fill.

I disagree. Am i biased? YES. BUT i have never been a competetive shooter and if i can buy off the shelf ammo and snap on a stealth upper onto my junky bushmaster lower that has a stock trigger and an m4 stock. and i shoot .45 first time out through a supressor. I think that is an indicator that the components are working good. Like i said, it shoots sub half moa WITHOUT handloads and a 16" barell! I dont know what else you could hope for?

CJG

I read and was told by folks that the Rock River Arms Varmint rifles were shooting as good as the LaRue Stealths and other more expensive systems. The RRA upper is half the price - around $610 depending on barrel length. I have not shot either so I really don't know, just what I have read in this and other forums and have been told by friends who have shot them. Anyone have first hand knowledge?

Rotortuner said:
I disagree. Am i biased? YES. BUT i have never been a competetive shooter and if i can buy off the shelf ammo and snap on a stealth upper onto my junky bushmaster lower that has a stock trigger and an m4 stock. and i shoot .45 first time out through a supressor. I think that is an indicator that the components are working good. Like i said, it shoots sub half moa WITHOUT handloads and a 16" barell! I dont know what else you could hope for?

CJG [/quote

Shooting those half inch groups in five or ten round clusters?
At what range?
With what ammunition, bullet weight?
Offhand? From rest? From bipod?

What kind of marketing is "stealth sniper" anyway?
What kind of sniper isn't stealthy?

People have different definitions of "sniper" and "varminting".
Shooting 45 or 55gr factory ammo at 50/100 yds isn't sniping.
Maybe you got 10rd groups in 1.3" at 300yds with 75gr Black Hills.

If you got a 6-7lb junk trigger bushmaster with collapsible stock and an Eotech or Aimpoint, well... it ain't the upper making those shots.

If your getting those results on a windy day at 200yds with UMC ammo, you are a master. A short-barrel Noveske will shoot really fine, but at real distance you look for a 20" barrel and a bullet that has a chance in the wind. Support that QuadRailed forend on sand bags and see how it don't ride the bags.

Glad you are happy and best of luck, but just calling something a "stealth sniper" don't make it so.

Here you go:
It was a 5 shot group @ 100 yards through the supressor
off a bypod in the prone position laying on gravel and bark
scope is a leupold mark 4 set at 10x

From what you are saying it sounds like you just dont like the name. thats fine, you dont have to like the name. Is it an optimal sniping rig? NO, I would rather use a 308 or something that will have more legs and fires a projectile with a better BC, and i have several other guns that fit the bill. but it is a semi auto that is short and light that will shoot sub moa to several hundred yards. For that, i think its an useful tool no matter what the name is or implies.

I probably should have phrased my question differently- I wish to shoot targets (metal, paper, and varmints) from 0-500 yards with a nimble, lighter wieght rig, with an emphasis on field portability and use, as well as a flexible platform on which to mount all of the shit to make this probable- to include bipod, scope, and nightvision.
I dont want to shop around, get components for months on end, and screw them together, I just want a hight quality, turnkey solution...

Thank you to all that have shared their opinions, I didnt mean to start a pissing match!

BTW, my upper will be here in about 8 weeks!

Thanks again,

Jordan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Worth it?

You want a precision Ar-15 upper, you don't buy one with a "quadrail" of any type on it.

Are you a for-real, hard-holding SOB who can fire sub-moa groups all day long from an offhand position? Most aren't. Those same HHSOBs ain't using quadrails forends.

I would compare any of the precision builders White Oak, Scott Medesha, Accuracy Speaks, Albert Turner, Robert Whitley and see what barrels they use, what handguards, who their customers are and what they say.

No quadrail forend shoots worth a damn from a benchrest position which is what delivers the accuracy you want. No HighPower competitor is shooting a quadrail rigged rifle.

You gonna put flash lights, laser, handgrip, night vision and all that other happy-jazz on your piece or learn to shoot it?

If you want something that shoots, buy a Service Rifle, and then learn to shoot with a sling, iron sights and how to use a 4.5lb trigger and judge the wind.

Whatever floats your boat, but a free-floating quadrail, even with rail slot covers is not up to the tasks a precision AR-15 is expected to fill.</div></div>

LOL! I've had a JP CTR-02 which would probably live up to Swamper's expectations of a "precision AR-15." It was nice. Now I'm waiting on a Larue. But then I'm not bagged up shooting paper at a range. I'm toting it 4 or 5 miles in the dark on foot with a weaponlight on it looking for hogs and coyotes, so the railed forend works for me. Heck of a lot of fun, and about as close as I'll get to Afghanistan!
smile.gif
I gotta say, though, that I DO like the V-Tac handguards. My sister is ordering a Larue upper and is going to get me to switch the handguard out for the V-Tac for her piano-player hands. Should be nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Worth it?

Whatever floats your boat, but a free-floating quadrail, even with rail slot covers is not up to the tasks a precision AR-15 is expected to fill.</div></div>

LOL! I've had a JP CTR-02 which would probably live up to Swamper's expectations of a "precision AR-15." It was nice. Now I'm waiting on a Larue. But then I'm not bagged up shooting paper at a range. I'm toting it 4 or 5 miles in the dark on foot with a weaponlight on it looking for hogs and coyotes, so the railed forend works for me. Heck of a lot of fun, and about as close as I'll get to Afghanistan!
smile.gif
I gotta say, though, that I DO like the V-Tac handguards. My sister is ordering a Larue upper and is going to get me to switch the handguard out for the V-Tac for her piano-player hands. Should be nice. </div></div>

Well, these two opinions sum it up for me. What matters for accuracy? The barrel. What handguard should you use? what ever the hell pleases you and meets your needs (pssst get the tube and just add rails where you need them:)). The huge advantage of an AR platform over a bolt action is how easy it is to get a good gun. With an AR, if you have a good barrel/chamber/bolt, then you have a good gun. Wish it were that simple with a bolt action....hah!

I have the 18" with 13.2" HG. Right now, I only have a Leupold 1.5-5. I now have a RRA 2 stage on the lower and I've managed .5 groups (5 and 10 rounds). It's splitting hairs with the BH 69 gr blue box, Privi 69 gr and my loads of SMK's (69/77 gr.) two charges of Varget. I've loaded some more with H4895, see what that does. The brass I used is LC once fired, loaded on a Lee single stage and dies.

She works pretty good, no malfunctions of any kind. Was fired prone on a mat/gravel and with a bipod.

Mark

Reading the LaRue site description for their product shows me that they don't understand what sniping is about:

From their discussion of the handguard:
"... This is vital when utilizing lasers, optics and other hardware. The side and bottom rails are tucked closer to the barrel, keeping the profile narrower and more streamlined. Special cuts on each rail's end are designed to work with both mil-issue and standard rail covers. LaRue handguards also include a QD sling-swivel socket integrally-mounted at the base of each side for convenient mounting 2-point slings. Additionally, our Free-float Rail system provides an excellent heat-sinking feature that pulls throat-damaging heat away from the chamber area. Another heat-sinking benefit is the elimination of pressure-spikes, which some feel is the cause of a large part of pre-mature bolt failures."

Whoever wrote the copy does not know what they are talking about.

Then, you pay $1300 bucks and don't even get a named barrelmakers product. Why buy this cheesy shit when you can get a Krieger or Pac-Nor and save about $300?

It is nice to shoot small groups at 100yds. The barrel has a 1:8 twist, whoever made the barrel. But for sniping, and this is touted as a "Tactical Stealth Sniper", you want 1:6.5 or 1:7 twist. Might just want to shoot some heavy boolets.

What is this bullshit about? (From LaRue's copy at http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=100
" In the late 1980's, it was realized that there were erosion and short barrel-life problems with 416 Stainless in the calibers operating at 65K psi." What fucking AR-15 round is generating 65,000 PSI????

About the best thing I have seen out of LaRue is their marketing.

Have you seen the Canadian Rifle Club article about 15-20 rd groups at 1000yds with 90gr JLK bullets? The average vertical spread is under 2.5" for 20shot groups. Shot with a bolt rifle, but one with a 1:6.5 twist.

Got all them places to hang lazers, flashlights, vertical handgrip, probably a grenade launcher and flare gun too! Don't forget the BUIS!

What I know is that no Bushmaster lower with a junk trigger is going to deliver the performance described. Of course, maybe the "operator" subtracted bullet diameter from his group(s) (were there many?). Yeah, that works in benchrest competition but...

I am glad you guys like what you are buying. Got that LaRue feeling of confidence. I know there are lots of precision builders, but none are using QuadRail Float-tubes and no-name barrels.

There is a lot of bullshit in that link I cited, but if you want to drink the KoolAid, it is still a free country.

The .308 rifle they show with collapsing stock and

I don't want to start a flame war or make any new enemies.
Maybe if you get a taste for accuracy, you learn more what directly contributes to it.

Not too interested in JP rifles. They make a decent float tube.
Badger Ord Stabilizer Handguard is arguably much better. Anybody who dreamed up the ugliest brake in the world has a hard time selling me anything.

You want good gear? Get a Colt or LMT, even Armalite Upper Receive and Boltcarrier group. Add a White Oak Pac-Nor or Krieger barrel and a Badger Ord handguard and then go shooting.

Compare at 600 yds.

Buy a Service Rifle upper with 1:7 or faster twist. Maybe an A4 flat top and then see how a plain jane AR will shoot. Yeah, they're heavy. Most precision rifles are heavy. Then guys like to hang those NXS 50 or 56mm objective scopes on them. Add 3lbs more heavy... but what is sniping all about?

I got no use for a QuadRail, or a no name barrel. YMMV

Swamper, have you ever owned a LaRue? You "read their website" and then determined that they don't know how to build good ARs? Wow, I'm impressed. A 1:8 twist is not enough for an AR shooting 80gr or less bullets and a 1:6.5 twist is better? Wow, another informed opinion.

The barrel is Lothar Walther with a Wylde chamber: rugged, reliable, and accurate. If you know how to build an AR...which ain't hard, you "might" save a few bucks over their pricing. On the other hand, there are plenty of people with more money than time and they are perfectly willing to spend a few bucks extra to be sure they get a good gun.

Also, have you even done an actual price check with comparable components to determine if they are such a rip-off? Well I have, and your bogus claims just don't add up:

DD A4 Upper Receiver: $140
CLE Krieger Barrel, complete w/ matching bolt: $500
DD 12" Lite Rail (similar in quality to LaRue): $340
LMT bolt carrier: $90
Gas tube: $15
DD Low-pro gas block: $60
A2 Flash Hider: $10
Estimated shipping for barrel, rail, etc: $50
Tools (upper receiver block & AR wrench )= $50
Your TIME(10-20 hours of research and an hour or two to build it):?????

TOTAL "Do-It-Yourself" PRICE: $1255 + many hours of your time
LaRue Stealth LT011 Upper with barrel length and rail of your choice: $1195 + 10 minutes of your time.

WAIT A MINUTE: are you telling me the Stealth is $60 cheaper and I didn't have to spend more than five minutes online placing an order? So much for poorly-researched opinions. You know what they say about opinions....everyone's got one, just be careful whose opinion you listen to. :)

I saw another post here the other day bitching about "quadrails" and stating that "real snipers have no use for a quad rail".

I guess the guys that are issued these are just posers:

M110

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I know is that no Bushmaster lower with a junk trigger is going to deliver the performance described. Of course, maybe the "operator" subtracted bullet diameter from his group(s) (were there many?). Yeah, that works in benchrest competition but...

</div></div>

You basically are trying to call me a liar here. thats fine i wont play into it. Instead i will just post pics of the group(s) this weekend (i am out of town now). Maybe that will make you a believer of just how awesome these uppers are.

You speak about wanting a more aggressive twist rate. How do those twist rates work for the off the shelf match grade ammo that uses the lighter projectiles in the 55 grain area? Post up some pics of your groups shot by your 16" gun on a stock lower and off the shelf ammo and we will compare... Seriously, put up or shut up. otherwise your just doing a lot of talking.

CJG

I haven't called anyone a liar here.
I haven't advised anyone not to buy whatever their heart desires.
If it is having a larue state of TX logo on your gear, like a crocodile or polo pony on your shirt; be my guest.

But I see nobody addressed the websites commentary about "...vital when utilizing lasers, optics and other hardware",and "our Free-float Rail system provides an excellent heat-sinking feature that pulls throat-damaging heat away from the chamber area. Another heat-sinking benefit is the elimination of pressure-spikes, which some feel is the cause of a large part of pre-mature bolt failures."

Is every "accurate rifle" a "sniper rifle"???
Is a 16" barreled M4 upper a "sniper rifle"???
Does a 1/2" group at 100yds fired with 52gr "match" ammunition means anything?

A 1/2" group with a .308 is 20% less than two bullet diameters.
A 1/2" group with a .224 is 10% more than two bullet diamters.

How well does that rifle group that ammunition at 300yds?
How well does that rifle group ammunition suitable for 500 yds?

The quad rail thing is not an accuracy aid.
A heat sink to remove heat from the chamber is not going to preserve the throat. The throat is burned up incrementally by the ignition process, not the residual heat it produces. Barrels are not case-hardened, or otherwise made by custom makers to be heat resistant. LaRue is just spinning BS with that crap.

If a LaRue Tactical Stealth Sniper upper is a "sniper" upper, then an Ingram Mac 11 full-auto fitted with suppressor and the brief case contained triggering mechanism is also a "sniper weapon". Sorry, just calling it such don't mean it is....

This week, a guy on this forum sent me a barrel that was questionable for accuracy. I mounted the barrel in an A2 upper receiver, put standard handguard set on and fired a couple of magazines of 75gr bthp ammunition to see if the barrel would group. Shooting off hand @ 25yds, unsupported by sling or any aid, the barrel groups show promise. I was shooting at a pie plate with orange aiming tab. The upper was not "sighted in".

I keep all my pie plate targets. Just kidding, but there was one group of 4 maybe but most likely 5rds that I measured. Pulled the plate outa the trash can just now, and that group measures .288 both dimensions on a mitutoyo dial micrometer, without subtracting bullet diameter.

No it ain't 100yds, and all I was doing was pressing the trigger whenever sights aligned, to see if maybe the barrel would be okay.

The pie plate group has no meaning, except the barrel might have promise. Maybe when the snow clears I will put it in a Badger Ord Stabilizer handguard, mount up a scope and see what it will do at 300yds or further? Supposedly this is a chrome-lined barrel, not bad considering.

About the LaRue product, I doubt any duty slotted sniper would choose one of their uppers for reasons cited. Just labeling a product with the words "tactical" and "sniper" doesn't make it so.

Man go with a RRA and save the coin. I have had too many an still got three , regret selling the ones I did. Unless you got a large income and no overhead. Larue rocks but saving 700.00 bones is.... well..... 700.00 bones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
But I see nobody addressed the websites commentary about "...vital when utilizing lasers, optics and other hardware",and "our Free-float Rail system provides an excellent heat-sinking feature that pulls throat-damaging heat away from the chamber area. Another heat-sinking benefit is the elimination of pressure-spikes, which some feel is the cause of a large part of pre-mature bolt failures."

Is every "accurate rifle" a "sniper rifle"???
Is a 16" barreled M4 upper a "sniper rifle"???
Does a 1/2" group at 100yds fired with 52gr "match" ammunition means anything?

A 1/2" group with a .308 is 20% less than two bullet diameters.
A 1/2" group with a .224 is 10% more than two bullet diamters.

How well does that rifle group that ammunition at 300yds?
How well does that rifle group ammunition suitable for 500 yds?

The quad rail thing is not an accuracy aid.
A heat sink to remove heat from the chamber is not going to preserve the throat. The throat is burned up incrementally by the ignition process, not the residual heat it produces. Barrels are not case-hardened, or otherwise made by custom makers to be heat resistant. LaRue is just spinning BS with that crap.

If a LaRue Tactical Stealth Sniper upper is a "sniper" upper, then an Ingram Mac 11 full-auto fitted with suppressor and the brief case contained triggering mechanism is also a "sniper weapon". Sorry, just calling it such don't mean it is....

This week, a guy on this forum sent me a barrel that was questionable for accuracy. I mounted the barrel in an A2 upper receiver, put standard handguard set on and fired a couple of magazines of 75gr bthp ammunition to see if the barrel would group. Shooting off hand @ 25yds, unsupported by sling or any aid, the barrel groups show promise. I was shooting at a pie plate with orange aiming tab. The upper was not "sighted in".

I keep all my pie plate targets. Just kidding, but there was one group of 4 maybe but most likely 5rds that I measured. Pulled the plate outa the trash can just now, and that group measures .288 both dimensions on a mitutoyo dial micrometer, without subtracting bullet diameter.

No it ain't 100yds, and all I was doing was pressing the trigger whenever sights aligned, to see if maybe the barrel would be okay.

The pie plate group has no meaning, except the barrel might have promise. Maybe when the snow clears I will put it in a Badger Ord Stabilizer handguard, mount up a scope and see what it will do at 300yds or further? Supposedly this is a chrome-lined barrel, not bad considering.

About the LaRue product, I doubt any duty slotted sniper would choose one of their uppers for reasons cited. Just labeling a product with the words "tactical" and "sniper" doesn't make it so.

</div></div>

What SOTIC level are you or have you attended USMC scout/sniper? I know being a SOTIC-I is nothing like shooting pie plates but I can at least attest to a few things.

What is "your" definition of a sniper?
Mine is:
<span style="font-style: italic">From FM 3-05.222 <span style="font-weight: bold">The Special Forces Sniper</span>
The SF sniper is a selected volunteer specially trained in advanced
marksmanship and fieldcraft skills. He can support special operations
(SO) missions and is able to engage selected targets from concealed
positions at ranges and under conditions that are not possible for the
normal rifleman.</span>

Why use a railed hand guard? PVS9/PVS22, PEQ, bipod, etc.. In combat you may need to engage close targets as well as long range targets (PEQ).
The Mk12/SPR, SR25/M110, M21, M24, M107 (crap), M40, TRG42 are tools used by snipers. In my experience the Larue performs just as well if not better than the Mk12 and I've got lots of time behind the Mk12(SPR). So as a duty slotted, trained, and tested sniper, I would choose the Larue for some purposes - but not all. There's not one end all be all sniper weapon.

Trying to compare a Mac-11 with a Larue upper is asinine. I can at least see someone saying the 5.56 isn't a effective sniper round due to it's lack of distance capability (with killing effectiveness), but a Mac-11? yeah ok...

I'm sure you're a good shot. I'm sure you know guns, but that doesn't make you a sniper. Hunting hogs, coyote, varmint doesn't make you a sniper. There's lots more to it than just shooting. In an earlier post you talked of 90gr bullets. I have yet to see a 90gr 5.56 round that doesn't have to be single loaded. NO sniper would use a single shot 5.56. If you need the extra distance, you go up to the 7.62, 300WM, 338. In combat, you often have the need for rapid follow up shots, thus the SR25, M21, and SPR rifles were needed.
I have never seen or heard an insurgent look at the "groups" in his chest or head and tell you to try again, you're groups weren't good enough.

Larue has a lot of very seasoned personnel and a lot our SOF units use his equipment. There's more than a handful of people that will swear by his product. I can wear an 8" plate out at 500yds with the upper. Anything beyond that, I'll move to a 7.62 or larger.

I had a 16" quad S, that rifle was a shooter. Accuracy was awesome with hornady 75 gr HPBT. Also if you are not happy with the way it shoots just give them a ring and they will take it back or post it for sale and it'll be gone in seconds.

Larue did not jack their price up when everybody else did... For the price all AR's are going for right now what's $200-$300 dollars more for an awesome rifle. Did I mention their Dillo dust is awesome?! Grilling some Pork ribs right now rubbed with Dillo dust. Hmmm.... Pork...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What SOTIC level are you or have you attended USMC scout/sniper? I know being a SOTIC-I is nothing like shooting pie plates but I can at least attest to a few things.

What is "your" definition of a sniper?
Mine is:
<span style="font-style: italic">From FM 3-05.222 <span style="font-weight: bold">The Special Forces Sniper</span>
The SF sniper is a selected volunteer specially trained in advanced
marksmanship and fieldcraft skills. He can support special operations
(SO) missions and is able to engage selected targets from concealed
positions at ranges and under conditions that are not possible for the
normal rifleman.</span>

Why use a railed hand guard? PVS9/PVS22, PEQ, bipod, etc.. In combat you may need to engage close targets as well as long range targets (PEQ).

The Mk12/SPR, SR25/M110, M21, M24, M107 (crap), M40, TRG42 are tools used by snipers. In my experience the Larue performs just as well if not better than the Mk12 and I've got lots of time behind the Mk12(SPR). So as a duty slotted, trained, and tested sniper, I would choose the Larue for some purposes - but not all. There's not one end all be all sniper weapon.

Trying to compare a Mac-11 with a Larue upper is asinine. I can at least see someone saying the 5.56 isn't a effective sniper round due to it's lack of distance capability (with killing effectiveness), but a Mac-11? yeah ok...

I'm sure you're a good shot. I'm sure you know guns, but that doesn't make you a sniper. Hunting hogs, coyote, varmint doesn't make you a sniper. There's lots more to it than just shooting. In an earlier post you talked of 90gr bullets. I have yet to see a 90gr 5.56 round that doesn't have to be single loaded. NO sniper would use a single shot 5.56. If you need the extra distance, you go up to the 7.62, 300WM, 338. In combat, you often have the need for rapid follow up shots, thus the SR25, M21, and SPR rifles were needed.
I have never seen or heard an insurgent look at the "groups" in his chest or head and tell you to try again, you're groups weren't good enough.

Larue has a lot of very seasoned personnel and a lot our SOF units use his equipment. There's more than a handful of people that will swear by his product. I can wear an 8" plate out at 500yds with the upper. Anything beyond that, I'll move to a 7.62 or larger.

</div></div>

I am not a "sniper". But I am an accuracy and longrange precision shooting enthusiast. I own a couple of LaRue products. They are pretty good; for scope mounts. I am not particularly impressed with the gear, but it serves.

I will stand by my remarks. The LaRue site has a lot of bullshit in its copy for this product. No way does an external heatsink help save the throat of a rifle barrel. Why all the BS about barrel steels? Why don't any people use those barrels or LaRue uppers in highpower competition?

You said: "Why use a railed hand guard? PVS9/PVS22, PEQ, bipod, etc.. In combat you may need to engage close targets as well as long range targets (PEQ)." My remarks were about QuadRail handguards. The Badger Ord has a full-length picatinny rail, which serves the purposes you cite. What purpose do bottom and side rails serve on a "sniper rifle" except to grab and throw a shot?

90gr .224 bullets have a place. If you are shooting at 750 to 1000yds you can shoot single loads, but not with a 1:8 twist barrel.

I have a tough time believing that any "sniper" would employ a QuadRail or choose anything under a 20" barrel. My point about the Mac 11 was sarcastic. Killing is killing, and I guess if that is your definition of a sniper, then any tool is a sniper weapon; even a silenced .380 fired at close range. Not my understanding of what a sniper is, however.

You said, "The Mk12/SPR, SR25/M110, M21, M24, M107 (crap), M40, TRG42 are tools used by snipers. In my experience the Larue performs just as well if not better than the Mk12 and I've got lots of time behind the Mk12(SPR). So as a duty slotted, trained, and tested sniper, I would choose the Larue for some purposes - but not all. There's not one end all be all sniper weapon."

I have most of the weapons you cite above. An accurized M1a in accordance with the m21 guidelines, a TRG42, an M24, a GAP AR-10 and a Precision AR-15 or two. Any of these is a sniper weapon because they are setup for longrange precision. None has a QuadRail. I own the AR-10 because the M1a is not really adaptable to a decent scope. I haven't shot the M1a in years.

A sniper, unless some law enforcement guy, is a longrange shooter. The sniping weapon is one which does not afford room for error or impart chance to accuracy. A sniper would not choose a QuadRail fitted rifle because the QuadRail is not conducive to accuracy. Might not matter if the upper is mounted on a tripod in a shooting carriage, but that kind of support is for a crew served weapon, not a sniper's rifle. A QuadRail will snag on any surface it might be rested upon and throw the shot. Not every shot can be taken from off a bipod.

A QuadRail has no place on a Precision longrange Rifle which may have to be fired from any expedient rest. A sniper adapts to the situation he/she finds.

LaRue may be the greatest bunch of guys on earth, but calling this upper a "sniper" upper is just laughable.

Swamper, why all the angst man? Who cares what they call it? It's just a name, we all know it's not a dedicated 500 yard plus sniper weapon.
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I am not a "sniper". But I am an accuracy and longrange precision shooting enthusiast. I own a couple of LaRue products. They are pretty good; for scope mounts. I am not particularly impressed with the gear, but it serves.

I will stand by my remarks. The LaRue site has a lot of bullshit in its copy for this product. No way does an external heatsink help save the throat of a rifle barrel. Why all the BS about barrel steels? Why don't any people use those barrels or LaRue uppers in highpower competition?

You said: "Why use a railed hand guard? PVS9/PVS22, PEQ, bipod, etc.. In combat you may need to engage close targets as well as long range targets (PEQ)." My remarks were about QuadRail handguards. The Badger Ord has a full-length picatinny rail, which serves the purposes you cite. What purpose do bottom and side rails serve on a "sniper rifle" except to grab and throw a shot?

90gr .224 bullets have a place. If you are shooting at 750 to 1000yds you can shoot single loads, but not with a 1:8 twist barrel.

I have a tough time believing that any "sniper" would employ a QuadRail or choose anything under a 20" barrel. My point about the Mac 11 was sarcastic. Killing is killing, and I guess if that is your definition of a sniper, then any tool is a sniper weapon; even a silenced .380 fired at close range. Not my understanding of what a sniper is, however.

You said, "The Mk12/SPR, SR25/M110, M21, M24, M107 (crap), M40, TRG42 are tools used by snipers. In my experience the Larue performs just as well if not better than the Mk12 and I've got lots of time behind the Mk12(SPR). So as a duty slotted, trained, and tested sniper, I would choose the Larue for some purposes - but not all. There's not one end all be all sniper weapon."

I have most of the weapons you cite above. An accurized M1a in accordance with the m21 guidelines, a TRG42, an M24, a GAP AR-10 and a Precision AR-15 or two. Any of these is a sniper weapon because they are setup for longrange precision. None has a QuadRail. I own the AR-10 because the M1a is not really adaptable to a decent scope. I haven't shot the M1a in years.

A sniper, unless some law enforcement guy, is a longrange shooter. The sniping weapon is one which does not afford room for error or impart chance to accuracy. A sniper would not choose a QuadRail fitted rifle because the QuadRail is not conducive to accuracy. Might not matter if the upper is mounted on a tripod in a shooting carriage, but that kind of support is for a crew served weapon, not a sniper's rifle. A QuadRail will snag on any surface it might be rested upon and throw the shot. Not every shot can be taken from off a bipod.

A QuadRail has no place on a Precision longrange Rifle which may have to be fired from any expedient rest. A sniper adapts to the situation he/she finds.

LaRue may be the greatest bunch of guys on earth, but calling this upper a "sniper" upper is just laughable.

</div></div>

I think we're discovering our differences - Sniper vs long range comp shooter.

Why do you tell people what "snipers will or will not do" when you're not a sniper? What is the current issue sniper weapon? Soon it won't be a M24 (on it's way out), it will be M110 . It has RAILS. I mounted my PEQ on the side of my Mk12 - on the RAILS.
Notice Larue doesn't call it's upper Stealth Highpower Competition upper? You're comparing apples to oranges.

90gr .224 bullets would have about 300ft/lbs at 1000 meters - not what I would really want for a sniper round. If you're shooting at that distance, 7.62 at a minimum. We're not punching a pretty hole(s) in a target, we're killing people.

I gave you my definition of a sniper. I never said it was just about killing, but it's a part of it. What is "your" understanding of a sniper?

Great you have all the weapons you do. I listed those to point out there are several tools in the toolbox. Some have rails, so don't. I haven't seen the GAP AR10 (no rails) in the military inventory but I have seen the SR25 (RAILED), M110 (RAILED), MK12SPR (RAILED) in the inventory. A few of the TRG's had tri-rails but that was made for us. Many of the M21s have RAILS (Troy and Vltor). Oh and the HK417 has a RAIL on it - the Brits have it now for a mid range platform.

Snipers of all military branches use sniper weapons WITH RAILS. Yes I understand lots of shots a taken not using a bipod - been there done that. Rail covers or ladders help most if not all of the snagging.

But you're right - the USMC, USN Spec-warfare, USASFC, USASOC, UK-SAS, etc are wrong. Snipers don't use rails...

I think the duty slotted sniper is likely less of an aficionado of The Rifle than most competitive shooters. Carlos Hathcock was a Wimbledon Cup winner before being a sniper. McBride was a competitive shooter. How many of the greats pushed themselves in competition before shooting on the battlefield?

I guess if a guy's idea of a sniping tool is that it should be able to hang more shit on its forend than a Xmas tree then the larue is a leg wetting dream.

Yet, you look at Badger Ordnance. Their Stabilizer Handguard is made with a smooth underside, but can have 3" picatinny rail sections added as an accessory. The capability is there, but not as primary intent. Marty produces realtime sniping gear, among The Best. If Badger envisioned any sniper needing a QuadRail they would make it.

Look at GA Precision. They make "sniping rifles". Are they using Lothar-Walther barrels or configuring anything like larue? No. See what GAP produces and take your cue from there.

For $1200 you can buy an Armalite M-15T and get a stainless Lothar-Walther plus two stage match lower and a fiberglass float tube. No, it won't come with an Armadillo can opener or jar of BBQ Rub, but...

I just know that any "riflemaker" that shows they don't understand throat erosion and touts up "special barrel steel" does not have one helluva lot on the ball.

So I sniped a groundhog at 210 yards, off hand with my LaRue today. And it has a quadrail. The ladder covers keep the rails from catching on stuff, and when shooting from a rest, I generally just rest the gun on the folded bipod legs.

Installed a gisselle DMR trigger yesterday. Made the LaRue alot easier to shoot. Today, before I shot the ghog, I was nailing a fist sized rock at 300 and a rock thats probaly 5"x9" at 560 yards.

-dan

A 168gr bullet started at 2600fps will have 434ft lbs of energy at 1000yds according to Sierra. A 175 started at the same velocity will have 529. My understanding of sniping is that it's about making The Hit, not the kill. Hit your enemy and disable him, it takes 4 men outa the fight and costs their side medical and other support resources.

Rather doubtful that anyone would know the difference between a 90gr bullet or a 175, in terms of its disabling impact at 1000yds. More tissue damage? Sure, but not like remarks like this would take place, "Wow, did you see that Achmed go out like a light? Imagine if he'd been hit with a 30cal bullet."

I have seen some of the KAC handguards, iirc they are not float tubes, but fit over the standard delta ring. To be sure I googled this and found Knight's makes a free float and a bolt-over quadrail handguard which is not free-floting.

Read somewhere in the Armalite tech files that Armalite did produce a number of AR-10 rifles with Badger Ord Stabilizer Handguards for the Canadian Military.

For all the excuses being made for larue here, maybe every bolt rifle in the Military should just be a plain-jane 700 BDL with sporter profile barrel and an inlaid picatinny rail on the forend?

An SPR rifle is not a sniping rifle. The M21 required constant maintenance and parts available now are so questionable as to be a joke. The parts TRW or Borg-Warner made are far superior to what is now available, but the rifles still have all their issues.

Snipers have always had to make do with gear that is less than optimum. A squad designated marksman is not a sniper. Or maybe that is the difference between the Marine scout-sniper and Army sniper, their field mission and deployment?

I have lots of enthusiasm for precision-built AR rifles, but cannot see compromising accuracy for questionable capability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I sniped a groundhog at 210 yards, off hand with my LaRue today. And it has a quadrail. The ladder covers keep the rails from catching on stuff, and when shooting from a rest, I generally just rest the gun on the folded bipod legs.

Installed a gisselle DMR trigger yesterday. Made the LaRue alot easier to shoot. Today, before I shot the ghog, I was nailing a fist sized rock at 300 and a rock thats probaly 5"x9" at 560 yards.

-dan </div></div>

When I was 15, I shot a smallish crow at 250yds with my .270 BDL using factory open sights. Handload was a 130gr Sierra done on a Lyman 310 tool. Used a barbed wire fence as a rest. Boy, those 700s will shoot! Nobody needs anything more than a 310 tool and for sure nobody needs a scope.

Gosh, how do those Palma shooters do it at 1000yds with open sights and 155gr bullets? Never saw anyone using a QuadRail though, even though larue makes a.308 upper with one I'm sure!

Might be interesting to sight in your BUIS and see how your larue performs doing 10 shots at 300yds in 70 seconds as per the service rifle course. It is fun and a good test of rifle and rifleman.

The precision/sniper rifle has to be capable no matter what position or rest is available. How does your rifle shoot from a sling? How fast can you do 4 targets in rotation 5 shots each? And what groups do you get then? Offhand, no sling or support?

If I wanted Quality and Value in a precision .223 AR-15 upper I would go here: http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

For $600 - $700 you get everything a precision upper requires.

Snipers have always had to make do with gear that is less than optimum. A squad designated marksman is not a sniper. Or maybe that is the difference between the Marine scout-sniper and Army sniper, their field mission and deployment?
</div></div>

Things may have changed in the last 8 years, but when I was still AD Army every Infantry platoon had a Sniper. Not a "designated marksman". We all went to sniper school. We also carried a scoped M-16 in addition to the the 700 as did the spotter. In a MOUT environment you will not always be making 1,000 meter shots. You will make plenty of 300-600 meter shots. Something that a small light weight rifle that is extremely accurate that is also set up with your VG, light, NV laser, etc... would be quite handy for. In the Army we were utilized just like any other Infantryman unless a specific mission called for it. Personally I would have given my left nut for something like that.
I sthe marketing kind of silly? Sure, but it called making money. The Arm chair commandos eat that shit up and buy the stuff. How can you fault the guy for making money?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I sniped a groundhog at 210 yards, off hand with my LaRue today. And it has a quadrail. The ladder covers keep the rails from catching on stuff, and when shooting from a rest, I generally just rest the gun on the folded bipod legs.

-dan </div></div>

When I was 15, I shot a smallish crow at 250yds with my .270 BDL using factory open sights. Handload was a 130gr Sierra done on a Lyman 310 tool. Used a barbed wire fence as a rest. Boy, those 700s will shoot! Nobody needs anything more than a 310 tool and for sure nobody needs a scope.

Gosh, how do those Palma shooters do it at 1000yds with open sights and 155gr bullets? Never saw anyone using a QuadRail though, even though larue makes a.308 upper with one I'm sure!

Might be interesting to sight in your BUIS and see how your larue performs doing 10 shots at 300yds in 70 seconds as per the service rifle course. It is fun and a good test of rifle and rifleman.

The precision/sniper rifle has to be capable no matter what position or rest is available. How does your rifle shoot from a sling? How fast can you do 4 targets in rotation 5 shots each? And what groups do you get then? Offhand, no sling or support?

If I wanted Quality and Value in a precision .223 AR-15 upper I would go here: http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

For $600 - $700 you get everything a precision upper requires. </div></div>

Well good for you. I've used a .308 700 to shoot a ghog at 310, and deer at 575 and 660 yards. Who cares.

I bought the LaRue to engage multiple targets from 10-500 yards. Works good for that. Use the rail on the bottom for a IR illuminator with my NV. Will be getting ar GAP AR10 in the future.

And why don't you say why you don't like the larue. The railed handguards are a nonissue after you put ladder covers or panels on tham. They don't grab on anything. And you really should be putting something soft between the gun and the rest if you are shooting on something hard.

Has anyone noticed an improvement in overall accuracy from the more robust upper receiver of the LaRue Stealth upper?