• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Larue Tactical scope rings/mounts

chalwie

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2010
ATL
After reading this forum, the Seekins, Badger, Nightforce et. al rings get high marks. Although the Larue Tactical mounts are great for red dots on AR15 style rifles, their scope rings/mounts do not get much play here. Does anyone have experience/opinions about their products for mounting high end scopes? I have a LT-111 which is made for the OBR and want to know what I'm missing.
Thanks.

Re: Larue Tactical scope rings/mounts

I've got an LT-111 mounted on my 18" OBR with a USO SN-3 ERGO 3.2-17x44 scope and it works great. It does result in a little higher cheek weld, but I have a PRS stock so that took care of the height. Overall, very happy with the combo.

I personally don't like the vertical split for Bolt actions. Why that is, I don't know. Just like the horizontal split rings with either 4 or 6 screws. Also, qd is not something is is often needed on a precision rig. I don't know about anyone else but I don't have back up iron sights on my bolt gun. I'm not in the shit but I assume if you needed to change out your optic on your bolt gun a torque wrench would be fast enough (seekonk or borka)

I second against the use of them for Bolt action rifles or anything considered to be "precision" .

Basically you are taking an AR15 product and moving it over to a precision rifle platform. Which valid points are made above, the need for QD in this type system, etc.

My personal issues:

1. Not a consistent torque setting

2. the split rings block the scope adjustment when behind the rifle

3. "My" split rings need to be loctited because they loosen all the time under heavier recoil

4. The throw levers mar and damage the rails, especially on anything not steel.

The product is perfectly fine for AR15 type rifles, but I personally am not a fan of them on anything larger. They are certainly popular, and many casual users have no issue with them, as well I am sure someone will bring up the military, but again I have seen other issues I wont' get into.

Honestly for a precision weapon system the less points of attachment the less moving parts the better in the long run.

I use the LaRue mounts on my AR15 and AR10 platforms. I normally do not use the throw levers, I put them in the lock position and I torque the nut. On my AIAW and AIAWM, I use the one piece AI mount. I have to mil .060 off the center of the mount so the Schmidt and Bender scope will fit it. On the Surgeon receivers, because of the built in 20 minute cant, i use the badger rings. I don't have one yet but plan on purchasing one as I like the review that they did on the Spuhr Sniper Masksman Sight Mount.

I do not use any of the LaRue products on my bolt guns. What I like about the LaRue on the AR platform is it moves the scope further forward and still is on the receiver picatinny rail and not the forearm rail, and gives me better eye relief. So far I have had pretty good results with that product.

It's all a personal preference, buy what you like and if you don't like it buy something else. I beleive he who dies with the most toys wins.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bwo6.5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I beleive he who dies with the most toys wins. </div></div>

Yeah, since you can take all those toys with you and all.
wink.gif

I like Larue products and have been happy with them generally. But, I have never been able to get the LT-104 mount to work for me. I've tried torquing the split rings on the bottom, then the top, tightening the picitiny levers, etc. No matter what I do, the rifle shoots "minute of barn." Then, when I swap the LT-104 out for a Nightforce Unimount, it shoots one ragged hole. Don't know the why's or wherefors, and don't have the time to find out. But the upside is someone's gonna get a good price on a used Larue mount once my unimount arrives.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like Larue products and have been happy with them generally. But, I have never been able to get the LT-104 mount to work for me. I've tried torquing the split rings on the bottom, then the top, tightening the picitiny levers, etc. No matter what I do, the rifle shoots "minute of barn." Then, when I swap the LT-104 out for a Nightforce Unimount, it shoots one ragged hole. Don't know the why's or wherefors, and don't have the time to find out. But the upside is someone's gonna get a good price on a used Larue mount once my unimount arrives.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Did you borrow someone's mount? Just wondering how you could shoot a single ragged hole but have one on order..

I have both mounts and I like them both. Like the LaRue a bit more since I like the lever system.. though I try to never remove my scopes from my rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ryo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Then, when I swap the LT-104 out for a Nightforce Unimount, it shoots one ragged hole. Don't know the why's or wherefors, and don't have the time to find out. But the upside is someone's gonna get a good price on a used Larue mount once my unimount arrives.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Did you borrow someone's mount? Just wondering how you could shoot a single ragged hole but have one on order..

I have both mounts and I like them both. Like the LaRue a bit more since I like the lever system.. though I try to never remove my scopes from my rifles. </div></div>

I have two AR's with CLE/Krieger barrels and use them for F-Class matches. One has a Nightforce unimount with a Nightforce scope and I shoot in the 570-580 range with it. The other rifle has a Larue mount with a Nightforce scope and I shot a 460 with it the last time out...shots spraying all over the target...something clearly wrong. After switching the mount, the combo shot in the 570s. Maybe I just got a poor sample of the mount. It does not really matter to me because I don't keep a product once it has demonstrated anything less than 100% reliability. It was nice to read the post from Lowlight and learn that maybe I'm not the only one whose had these experiences.

Are you certain its a real Larue, lots of Chinese fakes out on the market, that have full Larue trademarks on them.

Possibility?

I use them exclusively on my ARs, and have never had any issues with them (and that includes two LT-104s, an LT-139, and an LT-158).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I second against the use of them for Bolt action rifles or anything considered to be "precision" .

Basically you are taking an AR15 product and moving it over to a precision rifle platform. Which valid points are made above, the need for QD in this type system, etc.

My personal issues:

1. Not a consistent torque setting

2. the split rings block the scope adjustment when behind the rifle

3. "My" split rings need to be loctited because they loosen all the time under heavier recoil

4. The throw levers mar and damage the rails, especially on anything not steel.

The product is perfectly fine for AR15 type rifles, but I personally am not a fan of them on anything larger. They are certainly popular, and many casual users have no issue with them, as well I am sure someone will bring up the military, but again I have seen other issues I wont' get into.

Honestly for a precision weapon system the less points of attachment the less moving parts the better in the long run. </div></div>
I like the LArue mounts for my ARs and I have now found that the American Defense RECON mount does not mar the rail and works just as good so between the two I think I would have to go with the RECON which is also made in the USA which is great! I have ran LArue for years with no other issues than those mentioned above by Frank.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glocker17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you certain its a real Larue, lots of Chinese fakes out on the market, that have full Larue trademarks on them.

Possibility? </div></div>

I bought it directly from Larue....hopefully they aren't sending out fakes...

I've had very good luck with Larue Mounts- one important thing is adjusting the tension on the levers- if they are loose, your mount will move around on you, even just a tiny bit.