• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LaRue tripod adapter

B3dlam

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2012
Kodiak, AK
I am curious if you have tried this tripod adapter?
http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-picatinny-rail-adapter

It looks great but the issue I see using it with a rifle is the head that it specifies as being the only one that it works with is only rated for 11 lbs of load and 5.5 in the vertical. I know my current precision rifle weighs in at 16-17lbs and the bolt gun I am working on will likely be in that same range. Hopefully some of you guys have some first hand experience with these guys.

Re: LaRue tripod adapter

I have that exact same head. It works extremely well. My Badger M2008 with the MTU Plus barrel probably weighs in right around 18lbs, I have the Manfrotto 324 which is rated for alot less than the 322. If your rifle doesn't balance well then yes you can get some issues with it wanting to slide towards the weighted end, but if you get a picatinny rail near the mag well, you should be golden. I have seen AR10's as well as bolt guns ride on these with no problems.

I even machined some adapters to put Magpul MOE rails on the bottom of my spotting scope, so I can transition from rifle to spotting scope (hell I even clipped my M&P 9mm to it, so the youngest daughter could shoot it). Hell, I have a pic rail midlength on all of my rifles now....22, .17HMR, .308, .260 and .243.

They really work well, especially if you want to put different stuff on your tripod head. It makes quick changes awesome. When shooting off of the mount, be sure and check the NPOA prior to pressing the trigger. At the last Magpul Dynamics Precision Rifle 1 course I was at, Caylen had us hitting steel at 1000+ yards off the tripod.

Hope this helps.

I have one and it works fine for the intended purpose.

DSC_3695.jpg

Works great. My OBR is heavier than it really needs to be and it ballances just fine. For the price I like the Manfrotto and it runs multiple uses.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mobius38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSC_3695.jpg

Works great. My OBR is heavier than it really needs to be and it ballances just fine. For the price I like the Manfrotto and it runs multiple uses.</div></div>

I want....
smile.gif

Lee

Lol alright I guess I am sold course now I have to decide if I should get a second set of manfotto legs as the set I use currently is mostly for photography.

It is a good piece of gear, but as said above, you gotta balance it right, or things don't work so good.

When well balanced, it is awesome, easy to make very small changes and keep the rifle perfectly on target.

...till the target moves.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ejd049</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone run one a PRS tripod? </div></div>

Might be possible, but not with the ball head on the PRS. Using the manfrotto head I think it would work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRSDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ejd049</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone run one a PRS tripod? </div></div>

Might be possible, but not with the ball head on the PRS. Using the manfrotto head I think it would work. </div></div>

What about an adapter from manfrotto instead of the whole head